school house block

Old March 22nd 04, 01:31 PM
georg

Default school house block

michelle jolley wrote:

Hi, I have been asked to co-ordinate the making of a sampler quilt for my
children's head teacher, who is retiring. I thought that a school house
block would be perfect for one of the blocks but have only found an 8 inch
block and really wanted to do a 12 inch block. I also thought that a paper
pieced block would be easier.
Any ideas of places to find a free patern.
Many thanks
Michelle

If you are good at math, you can expand that 8" pattern to 12" just by
adding half of the measurements to the measurements (say it's 3" on the
8" pattern- add 1.5" and it becomes 4.5" on the 12" pattern). Or you can
use a copier and blow it up.

-georg

Old March 22nd 04, 11:30 PM
Julia Altshuler

georg wrote:

If you are good at math, you can expand that 8" pattern to 12" just by
adding half of the measurements to the measurements (say it's 3" on the
8" pattern- add 1.5" and it becomes 4.5" on the 12" pattern). Or you can
use a copier and blow it up.

Remember to subtract the seam allowance first. Then multiply by 1.5.
Then add the seam allowance back. But the easier method is to draw the
block to the correct size on graph paper.

--Lia

Old March 23rd 04, 11:48 AM
Mauvice Murphy

I think the easiest method is to take your 8" block to the copy machine
fiddle with enlarging it until you get a 12"....someone here can tell you
off th etop of their head whant percent that would be. 150% ? I think???

--
Mauvice in Central WI USA
remove no spam to reply