OT - kinda - broken glass story

Old November 17th 04, 05:05 AM
VManes

Default OT - kinda - broken glass story

I got this third hand, allegedly posted on Wet Canvas.
Anyone else see or follow this story? Does it have any credibiltiy? I'll
comment at end.

~~~~~quote~~~~
warning to those who make/sell Glass Rings

I was served yesterday with a lawsuit seeking 1/2 million dollars in damages
from a former customer of mine. She had purchased a glass ring from me in
May of this year. A ring that she wore every day, per her own account. In
August, she was involved in a car accident and suffered numerous injuries,
one of which was the loss of a finger. The impact of the accident and
whatever happened there after caused the ring to shatter and severed her
finger.

I'm not sure if there was anything I could have done to avoid this, I do
send a card with each ring advising that it is glass and there is a
possibility of breakage if not taken care of properly, she is claiming to
have received nothing and that she didn't know it was glass. Her attorney is
accusing me of malicious intent to injur because she didn't pay for an
auction that she had won and I filed a NPB (two months after she had won and
raved about the ring)

Anyway, this is my problem and will be my financial ruin when all is said
and done, I just wanted to warn all of you, I would hate to see anyone go
through what I am about to. My advice if you make them, stop....if you sell
them, stop....don't jeopardize yourself. Contact the customers who have
purchased them from you and either get them back or have them sign a waiver.
PROTECT YOURSELF!!!!

Please, if you know of any artists that are not WC members and make or sell
glass rings, please let them know!
~~~~~~end quote~~~~~~~~~~

If this is for real, I've got two things to say to the "injured" woman.
IT'S A GLASS RING - GLASS BREAKS!!!!
And unless you make your living as a surgeon or pianist or some such, a
finger is not worth $1/2M - check your AD&D policy - they probably pay
little or nothing for a single finger. Go buy a cup of McDonald's coffee.

Val
--
Bringing you BeadWizard Design Software
www.beadwizard.com

Old November 17th 04, 05:11 AM
Cheri2Star

If this is for real, I've got two things to say to the "injured" woman.
IT'S A GLASS RING - GLASS BREAKS!!!!

How could she claim not to know it was glass? I'm sure it said so in the Ebay
description, probably in the header. She has no case and I would think the
artist would know that.

Maybe it was her middle finger. That would be worth some money. lol

Cheri
(Bubbee to Emily and Nathan)

It's my life
And it's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive - Bon Jovi
Old November 17th 04, 05:17 AM
Tinkster

Yes, is a current topic being discussed on WC. I think it's a shame
that Jenn is having to deal with this. I would hope that the person
filing suit doesn't get a dime, and that she has to pay Jenn's
attorney fees. Her story simply doesn't hold water.

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 21:05:03 -0700, "VManes"
wrote:

I got this third hand, allegedly posted on Wet Canvas.
Anyone else see or follow this story? Does it have any credibiltiy? I'll
comment at end.

Tink
Check here for available work:
http://blackswampglassworks.com/latest.htm
Old November 17th 04, 06:02 AM
Cheryl

Hmm
first
why would seller file a NPB
i.e. NON PAYING BIDDER

but the person has the ring????

does not make sense to me
Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old November 17th 04, 06:05 AM
Cheryl

.. I think it's a shame
that Jenn is having to deal with this. I would hope that the person
filing suit doesn't get a dime, and that she has to pay Jenn's
attorney fees. Her story simply doesn't hold water.

Tink

are you saying you know who this artist is --?
that this is a "real story"?

how can the story not hold water if the woman lost a finger and sued.

does NOT mean she will win - anyone can file a suit if they find a (gulp)
lawyer willing to file....

I doubt she would win ad 1/2 M personal injury suit for a glass ring...
1. if she bought it off ebay - she knew from the description it was glass.
2. if she knew it was glass... she knew it could break
3. defense lawyers call 1 &2 "assumption of risk"

end of story

Old November 17th 04, 06:28 AM
Tinkster

Yes, I know this artist. And yes, it is unfortunately a real story.

The customer won the ring on eBay in May and paid for it. She
indicated she was very pleased with the ring. In late June, the
customer won another item on eBay, but never paid for it. That was
when Jenn filed the NPB thing with eBay.

The customer's attorney is accusing Jenn of "malicious intent to
injure", saying in essence, that Jen deliberately made the ring
"faulty" (which there is no indication that it was) because Jenn knew
in May that the customer was going to back out of an eBay deal nearly
two months in the future. Can you believe it?

In my opinion:

1) The customer had to know it was a glass ring, even if Jenn didn't
enclose informational cards with each order. From the eBay
description, if nothing else. She was a repeat customer buying GLASS
ART from a GLASS ARTIST.

2) The whole "malicious intent" thing is ridiculous and appalling.

3) I'm not convinced that the ring proper would have done any more
damage than if the woman hadn't been wearing it. I suspect the
automobile accident was such that ring or no ring, irreversible damage
would have been done. I would be interested in seeing some breakage
stats and patterns on boro.

Old November 17th 04, 06:34 AM
Armand Vine

There is not enough glass in a ring to cut off a finger. remember there is a
bone in there. she may have lost the finger that the ring was on, BUT the
ring did not do it. gonna have to find some really sleazy docs to say that
it did.
I won't comment on the lawyer that filed the suit.
Notice to all lawyers on this group: although the majority of your
profession are honorable people the ones who are not more than make up for
it in sleaze. A lot of my relatives are lawyers, and we have both sorts.
Armand

Old November 17th 04, 06:46 AM
Mystified One

The accident caused the loss of the finger, not the ring. This is a gold
digger, seeking deep pockets.

--
El Paso Quilter's Association
http://www.geocities.com/luxy2/EPQui...sociation.html

Old November 17th 04, 12:49 PM
Peggy

This is a gold digger, seeking deep pockets.

That's probably true, but you'd think she could find deeper pockets to pick
than those of an artist. My goodness!

Old November 17th 04, 04:31 PM
Kandice Seeber

Insane. People will sue for anything. I doubt she'll win. I feel bad for
Jenn though - what a nightmare!
Are there people getting anything together to help her out? Financially or
otherwise?
--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs