What Quilt Scares You?

Old October 27th 03, 08:02 PM
Jalynne

grandmother's flower garden. All those little hexagons....shudder
--
Jalynne

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Is there a quilt you would love to make but it puts your stomach in knots to
think about making it? What would this terrifying quilt be and what about it
makes you tremble?
Mine is the Dahlia. Its the picking of the fabrics that has me worried. In
the book I have there are a couple of examples of color ways given. I hate
all of them. But they do point out the importance of picking good contrast
and coordinating patterns. This would be the best time to use a scanner to
take the diagram of the quilt to be able to preview fabrics in it. Its on my
to do list, right under long nap.
Ok..spill... lets see if there are lots of people intimidated by the same
quilts.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old October 27th 03, 08:07 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Well now.. it all depends on how I drafted my pattern then wouldnt it! LOL
Diana, who once made one with applique and set in seams...dont ask...

Which is one reason why I like to draft my own (piecing) patterns -- I can
make them as easy or as hard as I want!

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old October 27th 03, 08:36 PM
Diana Curtis

Well now.. it all depends on how I drafted my pattern then wouldnt it! LOL
Diana, who once made one with applique and set in seams...dont ask...

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote in message
FWIW, there are almost no set-in seams in a Mariner's Compass. It just

looks
like there would be.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps
http://www.kayneyquilting.com ,
remove the obvious to reply

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Is it the curves in the one and the many set in seams in the other?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"jules" wrote in message
double wedding ring and mariners compass I think.

--
Jules

Old October 27th 03, 08:41 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I can answer this for everyone on here. The one that scares them is the one
they have to make for me. That's why I don't have many. I'll soon need a
housewarming quilt (or two.... or three... or....)

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

Old October 27th 03, 08:41 PM
Diana Curtis

I agree.. up to a point. Last marriage the ex held the purse strings so
tight I couldnt get a pinky in. The price of a quilt top back then (even if
it was wally world dollar table stuff) would have held me back, and even as
it was it was scrape the fabric up here and there where I could. Making a
quilt that failed to the point of not being usable would have been
heartbreaking.
But, now I am older, wiser, and think its worth the risk of making mistakes.
So..
The lesson is, it IS just fabric and if you dont take the chance of failing
you will never succeed.. does that sum it up pretty well?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Jan Dunaway" wrote in message
nk.net...
uhmm... It's fabric..... it's replaceable..... you don't have much to
loose by trying!! :-) Nothing to be afraid of there!! :-)) Excpept
those stash raids!!!!

Jan

Old October 27th 03, 08:43 PM
Diana Curtis

You might want to put your head together with Elena. Her round robin center
has the most beautiful Celtic knot design out of hand dyed materials. I was
impressed! Maybe she has some practical tips to share about getting the bias
to behave...then pass them on? Thats something that interests me too. Celtic
designs are so incredible!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"frood" wrote in message
om...
I'd probably have to say intricate Celtic knot designs intimidate me.
Getting those fiddly bias bits to lay flat *and* go where you want them to
go looks very hard to me. However, I think that a border of Celtic
interlace, with some stars coming off like flowers on a vine would be

really
cool on the bed quilt I'm still trying to plan. I wonder what the center
will look like?

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old October 27th 03, 08:44 PM
Diana Curtis

Lets hope the baby make a gentle entry into the world.
Will you make a DWR even though it is scary?
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Diana In Dallas" wrote in message
Mine I think would be the double wedding ring.
I am so drawn to that pattern and would love to
due one in red & purple our favorite colors. It just
looks so intimidating.

Diana in Dallas
(no grandbaby its due in two days on the 29th.)

Old October 27th 03, 08:45 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

I find hand applique easy. It's machine applique I can do without. Too
aggrivating.

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"Mel Rimmer" wrote in message
OTOH, appliqué (which many people find intimidating) holds no fear for
me. Why is it that people are terrified of appliqué?
--
Mel Rimmer

Old October 27th 03, 08:45 PM
Diana Curtis

I love your attitude....
Its a why not frame of mind instead of an I cant.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"QuiltR1024" wrote in message
Hi All,
No, none scare me. I just dig in and try everything.

Kris ( in northern Virginia)

Old October 27th 03, 08:46 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Come up for a visit some weekend and I'll have you hand appliquing with ease
before you leave!

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér
all in all --- a very slow quilter.... So send quilts!
http://photos.yahoo.com/lns_obsessed

"AliceW" wrote in message
om...
I would love to do a Baltimore Album quilt but the thought of all the
applique really scares me to death! I've done DWR in a table runner
and it wasn't as bad as I thought. I think I need to find a smaller
applique project to work on which would either make it or break it for
applique for me.

Alice in NJ