Binding Off Problem

Old August 11th 04, 05:34 PM
JoyceG in WA

Default Binding Off Problem

Here's my problem! I have completed a shawl made from Soy Silk yarn, which is
really more like a narrow ribbon than a traditional yarn. The shawl has a very
long edge to bind off. I *thought* I had left enough yarn to bind off, but
about two-thirds of the way through, of course I realized that I had left
myself short. I spent a long time late last night unknitting, and am now back
to my last row on the needles.

Here's the question - Is there any way I can bind of two stitches at once, for
example, and conserve yarn? I had tried that, and the edge looked quite nice,
but I tried it when I knew I was in trouble, just to see how it looks. Will
it save me enough yarn?

I just dread taking out another row of the shawl, but I will if I must. I just
want to be finished with the dratted thing and give it away!! LOL!!

Thanks so much for your advice!
-JoyceG in WA
Old August 11th 04, 11:38 PM
Sorceress

JoyceG in WA opined thusly:

[...]

I'd use a crochet hook to bind the stitches off one over the other. Might
not be as flexible as a regular bind off, but it's better than nothing.

--
Regards,
--Anne

Remove DIESPAMBOTDIE to e-mail

Blog Info:
http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/musings.php
http://www.emptycauldron.com/weblog/atom.xml

Old August 12th 04, 02:44 AM
JoyceG in WA

I ended up binding off crochet-style. I had to fudge it a bit at the last
stitch, but managed to secure everything and keep it neat and attractive. I
can't say that I'm thrilled with the final product - it took 3 balls of the Soy
Silk yarn, and is a rather long and pointy wrap. And a bit on the stretchy
side, too. I'm planning to give it away, but I'm thinking it may not fit the
intended recipient properly. I'll figure out a way to get her to try it on and
take it from there.

Thanks so much for your help!

Janome problem joysjane Quilting 8 September 20th 04 07:30 AM
Binding questions hfw Quilting 3 July 12th 04 04:27 PM
Stuffing the binding & Simon Leslie in Missouri Quilting 21 May 11th 04 03:52 PM
fusible batting and flannel binding DavesFatChick Quilting 7 April 3rd 04 01:03 AM
New Way of Binding Kathy Applebaum Quilting 6 July 12th 03 07:20 PM