New photos up on RCTNP

Old December 5th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

Default New photos up on RCTNP

I've added photos of the finished throw (lap rug) I was working on.
Miss Scarlett (aka The Inspector General) has decided that it is HER
blanket and has already covered it with white cat hair. I think this
is one piece that will be washed frequently..... Sir Fuss prefers
to sleep on the piece of a quilt that Mom started a good 20 years ago,
and that I plan to finish some day. I didn't even notice the sign
until I uploaded the photo. Talk about serendipity!

I've finally started quilting Quilt #2 (you can see the WIP in
previous pictures). I decided to go with a Celtic knot design I took
from a Dover book of Celtic cross stitch patterns. I had to convert
from block design to curved design, and then it took me a while to
figure out how to transfer that to the quilt. It finally hit me -
handle this the same way I do surface embroidery - trace the pattern
(currently on graph paper) onto tissue paper, then stitch through the
tissue paper. Works like a charm and allows me to line everything up
correctly and I don't have to worry about chalk or markers fading,
being rubbed out, etc. I'll take photos as I get further on.

Fran
Old December 6th 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 12/4/08 10:08 PM, "fran" wrote:

I've added photos of the finished throw (lap rug) I was working on.
Miss Scarlett (aka The Inspector General) has decided that it is HER
blanket and has already covered it with white cat hair. I think this
is one piece that will be washed frequently..... Sir Fuss prefers
to sleep on the piece of a quilt that Mom started a good 20 years ago,
and that I plan to finish some day. I didn't even notice the sign
until I uploaded the photo. Talk about serendipity!

Really nice, Fran. I love the block setting you did for the Twisted Log
Cabin. It looks really nice.

Sympathies about the white fur - I'm right now in the perpetual pulling of
Pucksters lengthy white hairs from the black canvas piece I'm working on!

I've finally started quilting Quilt #2 (you can see the WIP in
previous pictures). I decided to go with a Celtic knot design I took
from a Dover book of Celtic cross stitch patterns. I had to convert
from block design to curved design, and then it took me a while to
figure out how to transfer that to the quilt. It finally hit me -
handle this the same way I do surface embroidery - trace the pattern
(currently on graph paper) onto tissue paper, then stitch through the
tissue paper. Works like a charm and allows me to line everything up
correctly and I don't have to worry about chalk or markers fading,
being rubbed out, etc. I'll take photos as I get further on.

Fran

Great idea. I quilt thru tissue paper pretty regularly. Have you tried the
trick of putting the pattern on one piece, then stack up a bunch of tissue,
and stitch thru them, with no thread in the needle. The design will be
there in the holes - and you can then put those sheets onto the quilt, do
the actual quilting, and the tissue just easily pulls away. I've done the
tissue paper thing with some hand stitching- especially with some Japanese
embroidery class I took a while ago. It's handy to know, can come in as a
great solution to do something when you wouldn't have thought of it.

Enjoy your new throw.

Ellice

New Photos on RCTNP The Lady Gardener[_2_] Needlework 1 November 21st 08 01:21 PM
new photos on rctnp Susan Hartman Needlework 0 November 6th 08 05:43 PM
RCTNP photos Rosanne Needlework 1 June 5th 08 12:43 AM
New Photos up on RCTNP Richard Grimes Needlework 3 January 24th 08 11:21 PM
New photos in rctnp Cheryl Isaak Needlework 10 June 12th 07 11:36 AM