OT Weather

Old February 5th 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Default OT Weather

For those of you freezing -

we nudged a balmy 46 degrees here today on the edge of the
Wimmera. Of course that's centigrade! so about 115F on the
"old" scale. A "cool" change has just blown in and the temp
has dropped to a more bearable 36C/97F in the past half
hour. Hopefully it will continue to drop as it is way too
hot to sleep. It's only 5pm now. They forecast a cool
change for this afternoon (hhmmmm??) - and only 22C/72F
tomorrow.

I HOPE!!!!!!

There is a fire about 20km away but hopefully the wind
change is for the better and not the worse for the
firefighters.

Off to get some more icecubes for my drink!

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

Old February 5th 07, 10:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
recarlos

I was wondering how close the fire was to you, Cheryl.
It's still too hot and dry over here and the way North was shut here when a
fire went across the railway line to the Freeway to the Pacific Highway and
all three were closed, talk about chaos. Hard to believe that someone was
lighting them deliberately.
Take care,
Ruth,
Sydney
"CATS" wrote in message
For those of you freezing -

Old February 5th 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Keeping fingers crossed for you and your poor firefighters.
It is supposed to be 74' here today. Hope so. I guess I
should get out and work in the garden. We get 2-3 weeks of
that over 100' kind of heat here. The good thing about that
is I am cheap to run the air conditioning but over 100' cheap
goes out the window. It cools off here at night too. That is
how we can survive. Hope the change comes to you soon.
Taria, passing the iced tea

Old February 5th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Gotta pass on the ice tea but I'll take an ice cube or two in my Pepsi.
gonna hit 74 ° today-made it to 73 ° yesterday. Fellas tilled the garden for
me and today I start the planting of the peas, carrots, lettuce, 2 tomato
plants (by request), corn, etc. Had a gecko watch teh entire procedings
Now to get chicken wire to keep the rabbits out.
Saw a coyote go around the neighbors house then down the middle of the road
as if he owned it. Just as pretty as you please.

Butterfly (Butterfly For President)

Old February 6th 07, 05:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

just curious as we dont have either air-conditioning or central heating in
the house, lol. we cope, so no worrys....
what is the range when you dont use either a/c or heating?

i heard Bush in his state of the union address say he wanted americans to
cut their dependence on foreign fuel by 20%? in some time frame that i
forget at the moment.
i wonder if the temp range was expanded a few degrees either side of what is
comfortable for folks now would that make a difference to the consumption of
fuel? just curious.
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Taria" wrote...

Old February 7th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Boca Jan

Today's temp is low of 59 high of 76. Ahhhhhhhh Florida

--
Boca Jan
Florida - Land of the Hurricanes

Old February 7th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Jeanne:
We have a fairly new (2 yr, high efficiency) gas
powered central air and heat system. A few days ago the
Technician was here and we talked about that. He
recommended that YES, it is worth while to lower the
temp a few degrees when leaving the house for the day,
for a holiday, or at bed time. He said it is good fuel
economy when heating house. (Of course the opposite is
true for AC.)
PAT

....cut... to

Old February 7th 07, 11:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Jeanne:
We have a fairly new (2 yr, high efficiency) gas powered central air and
heat system. A few days ago the Technician was here and we talked about
that. He recommended that YES, it is worth while to lower the temp a few
degrees when leaving the house for the day, for a holiday, or at bed
time. He said it is good fuel economy when heating house. (Of course the
opposite is true for AC.)
PAT

nzlstar* wrote:

...cut... to
cut their dependence on foreign fuel by 20%? in some time frame that i
forget at the moment.
i wonder if the temp range was expanded a few degrees either side of
what is comfortable for folks now would that make a difference to the
consumption of fuel? ...

We have a well insulated house and our central heating always goes off
at 11 at night and then comes on an hour before we get up. It is
programmed to go off midmorning and then come on again as it gets dusk,
though if its a really cold day and we are at home we can over-ride
that. Our home catches the sun all day, so that makes a difference, if
the sun is out!

Also we wear a sweater (a light wool one not heavy and thick) during the
winter, not tee-shirts and summer clothes.

Also here the advice given on energy saving, is to turn the heating down
by just a degree or two - if everyone did it it would make a difference.

Really the insulation/double glazing/roof and wall insulation makes a
tremendous difference.

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk) where it snowed yesterday and more
is forecast for tomorrow. Brrrrr
Old February 7th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Except for sustained REALLY hot or cold, I try to keep my
house within 10F degrees of the outside and just wear
heavier or lighter clothin, etc. The change from toasty
warm to freezing when you go out or just open a door in
winter just makes the difference more noticed, and is a
great way to get a chill IMHO. Ceiling fans and air
circulation with good insulation should keep a house
comfortable most of the time. And yes - I know some of us
have far greater extremes to deal with and therefore have to
have different heating/cooling provisions.

It hit 115F here late last week and I did not even think to
turn on the split system a/c. The house remained a
comfortable 77F even at the hottest part of the day. Why
would I want to drop the temp to 70F? The difference
between the inside and outside made the interior feel cool.
In winter it can be 45F outside, but if the interior temp is
55F during the day and maybe just a bit warmer when I am
sitting at night (with a quilt over my knees of course!
lol) that is pretty comfortable for me. When I go to bed at
night in winter I drop the heating to the lowest setting
(about 48F I think?) and I don't turn it up the next day
until I feel cold - which sometimes isn't until the next
night.

I have never understood why anyone would want to live in
house with a constant temperature year round. Not
criticizing - just commenting. Energy concerns will
probably force all of us (or at least our children) to
adjust our expectations in the not-too-distant-future
anyway.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o
( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
Enness Boofhead Donut
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

"Sally Swindells" wrote
in message ...
: Pat in Virginia wrote:
: Jeanne:
: We have a fairly new (2 yr, high efficiency) gas powered
central air and
: heat system. A few days ago the Technician was here and
we talked about
: that. He recommended that YES, it is worth while to
lower the temp a few
: degrees when leaving the house for the day, for a
holiday, or at bed
: time. He said it is good fuel economy when heating
house. (Of course the
: opposite is true for AC.)
: PAT
:
: nzlstar* wrote:
:
: ...cut... to
[...]
: --
: http://community.webshots.com/user/sallyswin

OT Weird Weather Update Cats Quilting 2 November 20th 06 01:31 PM
OT - Odd Weather MRH Yarn 14 July 27th 05 07:56 PM
OT - video and pics of the wacky weather recently Kandice Seeber Beads 5 June 21st 04 12:19 AM
OT - Canadian Maritimes weather Bob & Marg Whittleton Needlework 9 February 22nd 04 02:17 AM