store bought quilt very wavy

Old September 6th 05, 12:11 AM

Default store bought quilt very wavy

A friend of mine bought a quilt online. By her own account it was only
cheap, but she wanted a Noah's Ark wallhanging for her DS's bedroom.

It is quite wavy... She tried to iron some shape into it, which she
admits probably did not help. It is made of cotton, batting of unknown
variety. She removed the label, but remember it saying dry-clean only -
probably the colours are likely to run.

So what to do? The quilt was cheap and is very cute - I'd hate myself
if my binding was that bad though. If I had my sewing machine here, I'd
take it of her and redo the binding, as that might be the main problem.
But this is not an option now.

I suggested getting some lightweight stick and stitch it to the back
near the bottom of the quilt, to help it hang flat(ter). DO any of you
have other suggestions? Or comments on mine?

Thanks,
Hanne in VA (normally in London)

Old September 6th 05, 12:24 AM
SNIGDIBBLY

Teach her how to quilt and let her make her own. Trash that poor thing she
bought. What colors does she need? I'll see if I have one of those
preprinted panels in my inventory and will mail to you or her to make up for
her quickly.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
oups.com...

Old September 6th 05, 12:47 AM
The Brown Family

Can you not return it and complain that it is not lying flat......it would be
worth a try.

Lorraine

oups.com...

Old September 6th 05, 03:41 AM

A couple of years back she got a sewing machine, started using it, then
returned it - too much hazzle to get things close enough to right for
what she likes.

We even discussed the whole handicraft thing only last night - she
knows how to, she just does not enjoy it. However, she loves her
gardening. So I don't think she is a budding quilter... Each to her
own, really.

I know, I know, she should try it, however I go home in less than two
weeks so me teaching her is not really an option. She is also just
about due with her 2nd child, so now is not the time :-)

And, yeah, for $30 (which she paid) I could have made her one from a
Wallmart panel easily in not much time. Might still just have a look at
the binding - surely I can stitch that on just any old machine? I'm
sure I can find someone in this neighbourhood with a basic sewing
machine!

But: Snigdibbly - thanks for your offer!

Hanne in VA (normally London)

Old September 6th 05, 03:42 AM

Yeah, you're right, she should have just returned it. I'm not sure why
she didn't. I think now she's had it for a while + made things worse by
her attempts at straightening things out.

I guess she didn't want to do that.

Hanne in VA (normally London)

Old September 6th 05, 03:44 AM

Oh yeah, I hadn't thought about the weights. I think we might try a
combo of a stick and some weights (stick first).

The quilt is not that big, probably no more than about 30-40" wide, so
I figure that adding the stick could be done in no time flat, to see
how it works. If it then looks better, I could then secure it a little
better.

Hanne in VA (normally London)

Old September 6th 05, 10:08 AM
Roberta Zollner

If you install a stick top and bottom, you can stretch it out face down on
the floor, over some towels, and either spray lightly with water and let
dry, or steam with the iron over (not touching) the surface. The water
should not be enough to make anything run on the front.
Roberta in D

oups.com...

Old September 6th 05, 12:09 PM

Thanks, Roberta, we might just try that - I hadn't even thought about
spraying/steaming the back!

Hanne in VA (normally London)

Old September 6th 05, 02:54 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

you are welcome. hope it works out.
SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
oups.com...

Quilt Store Questions Debbi Quilting 3 April 4th 04 05:43 AM
I went to a quilt show last Sunday--long Debra Quilting 6 March 26th 04 03:54 AM
Happy Dance! Quilt is finished! Was: Quilting pins, designs, etc. Beth Pierce Quilting 4 February 27th 04 01:38 AM
New Quilt Store in Illinois Scott Hall Quilting 0 February 10th 04 08:58 PM