sleeves!

Old January 10th 04, 04:42 AM
wad

Default sleeves!

I'm making a top and the sleeve seems to be too big for the arm hole -
and they've gathered - how can this be fixed!
Thanks

nada
Old January 10th 04, 11:46 PM
Maniac Rose

1 thing that I saw on sew perfect on HGTV, was to push your finger on the
back side of the foot while sewing, do that until it starts sewing in place,
lift your finger, let the fabric relax and do again, until at the other
notch. when you take the sleeve out of the machine, it will be cupped. if
it needs more ease, then it can be done again. And I believe that you
lengthen your stitch so that it helps.

Maniac Rose

om...

Old January 12th 04, 04:47 PM
SewStorm

1 thing that I saw on sew perfect on HGTV, was to push your finger on the
back side of the foot while sewing, do that until it starts sewing in place,
lift your finger, let the fabric relax and do again, until at the other
notch. when you take the sleeve out of the machine, it will be cupped.

And this works even if there is no thread in the machine, if the fabric can
take a pleat.

For wool, you can then take the sleeve head to the iron, and over a ham, steam
the ripples, just in the seam allowance. Then when you sew in the sleeve, you
get nary a pucker.

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

Old January 13th 04, 04:04 AM
Maine-iac Rose

"SewStorm" wrote in message
1 thing that I saw on sew perfect on HGTV, was to push your finger on the
back side of the foot while sewing, do that until it starts sewing in

place,
lift your finger, let the fabric relax and do again, until at the other
notch. when you take the sleeve out of the machine, it will be cupped.

And this works even if there is no thread in the machine, if the fabric

can
take a pleat.

For wool, you can then take the sleeve head to the iron, and over a ham,

steam
the ripples, just in the seam allowance. Then when you sew in the sleeve,

you
get nary a pucker.

Karen Maslowski in Cincinnati

I never realized that it could be done without the thread, I'll have to try
that next time I'm making a shirt. I need to get myself a ham to press
those seams, but for now I just ease them in, pin them in place, then sew.
to press I have been using a small pillow, but not as good as a ham, next on
my list to get though.
Right now am working on a wall quilt, and after that I want to get some
embroidery done, have a few designs already picked out, but like to finish
my projects before starting another one. there was a time when I had 6
projects that I was working on, and boy did they seem forever to get done,
so got my rear in gear and said I wouldn't do that again.

Old January 13th 04, 11:00 AM
wad

thanks everyone for your advice - I'll take it on board and let you
know how i'm going.

thanks!