sweatshirt material

Old January 1st 04, 10:24 PM
azalea

Default sweatshirt material

does anyone know what the proper name for "sweatshirt shirt" material
is? is this a specialty material or do you think i'd be able to find
it at any fabric store?

thanks a bunch
Old January 2nd 04, 12:51 AM
Pat

Always been called "fleece"..........that is for sweatshirts. POLAR fleece
is thicker and fuzzier and made from polyester............"fleece" for
sweatshirts is usually a cotton and poly blend...........Is that what you
meant??

om...

Old January 2nd 04, 03:27 AM
Penny S

Pat wrote with a lipstick:
Always been called "fleece"..........that is for sweatshirts. POLAR
fleece is thicker and fuzzier and made from
polyester............"fleece" for sweatshirts is usually a cotton and
poly blend...........Is that what you meant??

cotton fleece is correct.

soapbox
Just to clarify.. polyester fleece is the fuzzy stuff. Polarfleece ( and
Polar Fleece, and Polartec) are TRADEMARK names for polyester fleeces made
ONLY by Malden Mills, they aren't just any old polyester fleece. If a store
is selling fleece named Polar Fleece, or a product that they said is made of
Polar Fleece, be very sure about what your are buying, it should at least
say "fleece by Malden Mills" if they havent' paid their liscense fee. I can
just about guarantee that any fleece you buy at a chain store labeled
Polarfleece is not the real thing and is labeled in violation of trademark.

Penny S

Old January 2nd 04, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On 1 Jan 2004 14:24:59 -0800, azalea wrote:
does anyone know what the proper name for "sweatshirt shirt" material
is? is this a specialty material or do you think i'd be able to find
it at any fabric store?

I've always called it sweatshirt fleece. The best I've ever laid hands
on comes from Anne St. Clair of Needlenook Fabrics, in Kansas..
ndlnookfab$aol.com (substitute an @ sign for the $). Very nice fabrics,
very knowledgeable owner, and not too expensive.

Kay Lancaster

Old January 2nd 04, 07:39 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

As Kay said, the term I've always used is sweatshirting fleece. Some stores
just call it fleece, though. You can get it at any fabric store, but
qualities differ greatly. The best I've used in Canada is made by a company
called "Siltex" - they make it in varying weights, a wide range of colours
and both 100% cotton and cotton/poly blends (heavier on the cotton). The
chain stores such as Fabricland and Walmart usually sell just the cheap
stuff - okay for kid's Halloween costumes but not for wearing in my opinion.
Cynthia

Old January 2nd 04, 11:38 PM
azalea

Hi Cynthia

I just tried the siltex website but for some reason it's not opening
for me...grr :S. Do you happen to know if I would have to order online
or if they have any stores in Canada (toronto hopefully?)?
Old January 8th 04, 08:56 AM
Kyla

Try www.wazoodle.com They often carry Siltex things, and I know they have
other cotton fleece )
(NAYY, just a happy customer)
--
Kyla
"Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

Old January 8th 04, 06:41 PM
Kyla

Just went and looked; she has a TON of Siltex Premium cotton fleece )
Looks yummy, I'll have to try that sometime!

Here's a direct link: http://tinyurl.com/2r6wd

--
Kyla
"Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off."

om...

Old January 10th 04, 03:49 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

Siltex sells their material across Canada - generally at the 'better' fabric
stores (read: not Fabricland!, except for some of the independently operated
stores). Look on the top of the bolts for their logo which used to be a
teddy bear in a slate/blue colour. I live in Prince Rupert, British
Columbia and have seen it throughout this province at good sewing stores.
Can't tell you much about fabric stores in Ontario because the times I've
been out east I haven't really looked in any ('cept the Fabricland in
Woodstock for some broadcloth).
Could you have cookies disabled on your computer? Try enabling them just
for that website....
I have just tried on my browser again and the site opens perfectly.
Just in case, I have copied their site and their e-mail address for you.
Try contacting them and they can tell you of any local retailers. I was
surprised when I looked at their site because I only think of them in terms
of sweatsuiting and broadcloth, but I see they carry a wide range of
fabrics. E-MAIL:
Their web site is:
http://www.siltex.com/
Good Luck!
Cynthia
PS - no affiliation, I just like their quality.

Old January 12th 04, 05:14 PM
Karen Latus

I believe that it is called sweatshirt fleece. I haven't checked lately but
I would think that a local fabric store would have it.

om...