Dyeing fabric class

Old February 24th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative[_3_]

Default Dyeing fabric class

Just signed up for a QU cotton dyeing class (NAYY) and I am SO excited!!!!
It starts March 22 and I can't WAIT!!!
*happy dance*

I have ALWAYS wanted to learn how, but never felt comfy taking on such a
expensive (and messy) tangent without having someone to harass with
questions -- then I came here and I've seen that oodles of you have been
dyeing for a while!!!

Sooo ... for those of you that dye your own, can I ask where you buy your
PFD fabric??? My first "batch" I'm buying at the teacher's store ($30 for 10
yards -- I'm assuming that's a good price??? Seems to be cheaper than
"regular" fabric) ... but if I keep this up (DD wants me to -- she wants
*me* to teach her what I learn in the class), I'd like to know where to buy
good stuff at good prices ...

Any opinions? rants? raves??

Much appreciated!!! TIA!!

Warm quilty hugs!!
--
Connie
http://sewverycreative.blogspot.com

Old February 24th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Connie, you can get EVERYTHING you need at Dharma Trading Co.- fabric and
dyes, chemicals, etc. That's what they sell! And they have some
instructions on their website, too. This is the Pimatex 45 in. wide PFD
that I use-

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...ic_cotton.html

And check out this darling dog clothing! I've dyed some of it, too!

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3807130-AA.shtml

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old February 24th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"SewVeryCreative" wrote in message

Sooo ... for those of you that dye your own, can I ask where you buy your
PFD fabric??? My first "batch" I'm buying at the teacher's store ($30 for
10
yards -- I'm assuming that's a good price??? Seems to be cheaper than
"regular" fabric) ... but if I keep this up (DD wants me to -- she wants
*me* to teach her what I learn in the class), I'd like to know where to
buy
good stuff at good prices ...

That's a very good price.

My two favorites are PFD Kona
(http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3597-AA.shtml - NAYY), which I use
when I need it fast and can't get a 100 meter bolt, and the 400M mercerized
cotton print cloth from Test Fabrics
(http://www.testfabrics.com/products/fabrics.htm , also NAYY), which cost me
the $3.06 a yard, including shipping, the last time I bought a 100m bolt. (I
have a couple of friends who dye, and they split the bolt with me.)

The 400M is what a lot of the big names in dyeing use. I like it because it
has a bit finer weave than the Kona, so dyes and paints stay where I put
them. It's also ready to use -- some PFDs I've still had to scour, but this
one dyes great straight from the bolt.

Remember the cost of the fabric isn't the only cost in hand dyeing. There's
the dyes, other chemicals, wear and tear on your washer (and cost of water,
if you're metered), plus your time. Luckily for me, I like dyeing even more
than I like quilting.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply

Old February 25th 08, 06:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
allisonh

SewVeryCreative wrote:
[...]

You are going to enjoy yourself! (I took that class a while back) Even
if you don't get into dying large pieces it is fun to do smaller lots.
And I really like over-dying printed fabric to tweak the colour to what
I want.

Sounds like you got a good price on fabric. What I did was look for a
good deal on regular white cotton and then wash/dry it without fabric
softener. That worked fine. And since I got a lot of it cheap I have
enough ready to go whenever I need some!

Allison in montreal
Old February 26th 08, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MB

Hope you have fun !! I tried it a few years ago here at home but my colors
were too pale for me. I followed directions out of a book but later took a
class
with a gal who uses her hand dyes in the classes she teaches about fusing
fabrics .
She uses two or three times the amount of dyes..no wonder her colors were
brilliant !!
Good luck !!!

"allisonh" wrote in message
m...
SewVeryCreative wrote:
[...]

Dyeing fabric??? Jill -Critter Comforts Quilting 4 May 3rd 07 06:07 PM
Dyeing fabric for quilting - novice question Jo Pender Quilting 7 January 30th 06 11:39 AM
Practical Fabric Shoe Dyeing vintage book [email protected] Marketplace 0 May 15th 04 02:37 AM
Fabric Dyeing Question Mardi Quilting 5 April 27th 04 06:36 PM
Dyeing fabric with tea Julia Altshuler Quilting 5 March 24th 04 05:54 PM