New reading

Old January 6th 11, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jinx Minx

Default New reading

"Lucille" wrote in message

"joyce" wrote in message
On 2011/01/04 11:08 PM, Ellice K. wrote:

Still struggling thru the "Mr. Norrell& Jonathon Strange" book....

Ellice

Ellice

I gave up on that one, a year or so ago, after reading about 100 pages.
It's really a strange book. I used to finish every book, if only by
skimming, but now I feel I don't have enough time left to read anything
I'm not enjoying, so give up more easily.

Joyce in RSA.

You said it for me.

I recently did the same thing with Cutting for Stone. I read somewhere
around 100 pages and realized I was struggling through it, so I sent it
back to the library.

I never would have done that years ago. I would have finished it as
though my final grade depended on it. Those days are gone forever.

Lucille

You are so right. I just last night finished rapi-reading the most poorly
written book I think I've ever read: The Recipe Club. It's the first book
I've ever read that wasn't worth pushing through it hoping it would get
better. I'll never do it again! I've got Cutting for Stone in my soon to
read pile, so thanks for the heads up it's tough to get into.

Jinx

Old January 7th 11, 11:21 AM
MAITLAND.JARED MAITLAND.JARED is offline
Junior Member

I could afford to get a gift for him, but since I know many people at college are on a tight budget I wasn't sure what is standard.
Old January 7th 11, 07:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/4/11 9:06 PM, in article ,
"Gillian Murray" wrote:

On 1/4/2011 4:39 PM, Lucille wrote:

"Ellice K." wrote in message
On 1/4/11 8:11 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

Found two "new to me" authors to share

The Unquiet Bones by Melvin Starr

http://www.amazon.com/Unquiet-Bones-Chronicle-Singleton-Surgeon/dp/08254629
0

8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294145819&sr=1-1

Really like Hugh - He's gentle and sort of innocent despite being a
surgeon
in medieval England. Excellent plot, seems well researched and great
cast of
characters.

Veil of Lies by Jeri Westerton

http://www.amazon.com/Veil-Lies-Medieval-Jeri-Westerson/dp/0312580126/ref=s

_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1294146448&sr=1-1-spell

It's noir alright - a can't like him or hate him "hero", truly the grimy
side of medieval life. But I'm on book three - characters are
wonderfully
thought out, good twisty plots - what more could you ask?

I'm on the reserve list for both of the Kate Morton books - just have to
wait it out.

Cheryl

Ah, well, I read the Forgotten Garden pretty quickly - it's good -
though I
will say I figured out the twist about midway. Still waiting for the
other
one. Also read the latest Martha Grimes/Richard Jury - which was good as
well, and only slightly predictable.

Ellice

Like you, I figured out the twist in Forgotten Garden before the end,
but I did enjoy the book anyway.

I'm in the middle of her second book, Distant Hours, now. This one moves
a bit slower, but it's okay and is holding me.

I'm going to look up Martha Grimes/Richard Jury now. I'm always looking
for something good to read and so far have gotten some great
recommendations here.

Lucille

I really enjoyed the Martha Grinmes books, and avidly read each one as
soon as it came out. Then she went off on a bit of a
tangent......................I need to catch up with the series.

That's a bit how I felt. But, this latest is definitely prototypical
Richard Jury.

Similarly I go in and out of happiness with PD James books. I always think
of the BBC series with Adam Dalgliesh, and I think 2 different people
playing the role. DH was in the bookstore with me - using some
irresistible DVD coupon - and telling me the only boxed set he'd love to get
from BBC is the Sandbaggers - as he loved the series, and is a big Roy
Marsden fan. Even if it is a very sad kind of ending....

Well, I finished the Bruce Boudreau book - got better towards the end. And
I think that the other Kate Morton book is waiting for me at the library.

I've also been reading - if that's the right term - or going thru a bunch of
books about glass art and Dale Chihuly. Pretty amazing guy - and in a
coincidence - when I couldn't sleep last night and flicked on the tv - there
was a special about Dale Chihuly on PBS. Called "Fire & Ice" - about the
making of art glass for some huge museum installations - fascinating.

Well, I should go back to work - this is part of my brief computer break....

Ellice

Old January 7th 11, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/5/11 1:29 AM, in article ,
"joyce" wrote:

On 2011/01/04 11:08 PM, Ellice K. wrote:

Still struggling thru the "Mr. Norrell& Jonathon Strange" book....

Ellice

Ellice

I gave up on that one, a year or so ago, after reading about 100 pages.
It's really a strange book. I used to finish every book, if only by
skimming, but now I feel I don't have enough time left to read anything
I'm not enjoying, so give up more easily.

Joyce in RSA.

Hey, I know this feeling. I picked it up as it had won awards, and had a
"staff recommends" tag on it. Looked interesting. I'm about 60% thru, and
it seems to be getting better. I will say, I give credit to the author for
the detail of writing the tons of footnotes which essentially meant creating
a whole fictional reference library for this work of fiction. But it is an
odd book, glad to hear I'm not the only one. Honestly - the last book that
I remember having this kind of trouble getting through was The Handmaid's
Tale by Margaret Atwood. I don't know what's worse - reading quickly
through a formulaic, pedestrian, but light book - or plugging through a well
written but "it hurts my head" kind of book like this one. I may just give
up - who knows. It's definitely on the back burner.

Ellice

Old January 9th 11, 01:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 1/7/11 2:16 PM, in article , "Ellice K."
wrote:

On 1/4/11 9:06 PM, in article ,
"Gillian Murray" wrote:

On 1/4/2011 4:39 PM, Lucille wrote:

"Ellice K." wrote in message
On 1/4/11 8:11 AM, in article ,
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

[...]

Just got tired of the series, it seemed to be recycled plots and no new
character development.

Well, I finished the Bruce Boudreau book - got better towards the end. And
I think that the other Kate Morton book is waiting for me at the library.

I've also been reading - if that's the right term - or going thru a bunch of
books about glass art and Dale Chihuly. Pretty amazing guy - and in a
coincidence - when I couldn't sleep last night and flicked on the tv - there
was a special about Dale Chihuly on PBS. Called "Fire & Ice" - about the
making of art glass for some huge museum installations - fascinating.

Well, I should go back to work - this is part of my brief computer break....

Ellice

I love Chihuly and some day want to see his big stuff in person; did see
"smaller" items in a museum eons ago. I've seen both the PBS special and the
one that airs on DirecTV's HD theater. WOW.

----

Picked up a couple of stinkers at the library. One called "The Stone Prince"
- woman flips houses for a living and buys a house with a garden full of
erotic statues. She falls for one and kisses it, comes to life.... It could
have been cute and funny (which is what I was promised in the cover blurb)
but it wasn't. Poorly written, meat of the plot exposed in the first 5
pages.... You get the picture.
Second was a mystery series about a former Scottish dancer now gift shop
owner in Maine. Series has such promise, but the characters are lead weights
to the plot. Since one of my New Years Resolutions was "no bad books" both
are ready to return to the library.

Off read a few blogs, have some breakfast and write up tomorrow's
shopping/errand list.

Cheryl

Old January 9th 11, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

On Jan 9, 8:10*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 1/7/11 2:16 PM, in article , "Ellice

I've also been reading - if that's the right term - or going thru a bunch of
books about glass art and Dale Chihuly. *Pretty amazing guy - and in a
coincidence - when I couldn't sleep last night and flicked on the tv - there
was a special about Dale Chihuly on PBS. *Called "Fire & *Ice" - about the
making of art glass for some huge museum installations - fascinating.

Well, I should go back to work - this is part of my brief computer break....

Ellice

I love Chihuly and some day want to see his big stuff in person; did see
"smaller" items in a museum eons ago. I've seen both the PBS special and the
one that airs on DirecTV's HD theater. WOW.

Cheryl

His stuff is wonderful!!!! DM is a big fan and when he did many
pieces
including a big one for a show at Phipps Conservatory here we just
had to go see it. I hadn't been to the Conservatory in years so it
was
wonderful to see it again with the bonus of all of Chihuly's glass
pieces.
The marrying of the gardens and glass was very interesting. And it
was interesting to be in the place my great-grandfather had worked for
years.

Nancy
Old January 10th 11, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cathy from KY in CA

I've also been reading - if that's the right term - or going thru a bunch of
books about glass art and Dale Chihuly. *Pretty amazing guy - and in a
coincidence - when I couldn't sleep last night and flicked on the tv - there
was a special about Dale Chihuly on PBS. *Called "Fire & *Ice" - about the
making of art glass for some huge museum installations - fascinating.

I love Chihuly and some day want to see his big stuff in person; did see
"smaller" items in a museum eons ago. I've seen both the PBS special and the
one that airs on DirecTV's HD theater. WOW.

----

Picked up a couple of stinkers at the library. One called "The Stone Prince"

Cheryl

I saw Chihuly at the de Young Museum a couple of years ago. Each room
was more amazing
than the last. I have some gorgeous photos, will get them posted,
someday, and post a link.

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA
Old January 10th 11, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 1/9/11 9:37 AM, in article
, "Nancy"
wrote:

[...]

Wow - that brings back some Pgh memories. Used to pass Phipps everyday on
my way to school - the best route into that section of CMU, from my place in
Squirrel Hill - past the conservatory and up into that end of campus. We
would go there frequently - to escape the hell which is grad school. How
interesting that your great-grandfather worked there - it's a beautiful
place. I can imagine that a Chihuly installation would be amazing.

I had some ideas for designs as this seminar is to be near the Chihuly
workshops/museum & in a hotel named for him - and wanted to get some
inspiration. So got the books, and a DVD set of 5 different museum showings
with large installations - it's an amazing body of work. DH & I tend to
pick up pieces of art glass/sculpture when we travel, and find something we
can afford. Even got him to watch some of this with me.

Ellice

Old January 12th 11, 01:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman[_2_]

On 1/5/2011 11:26 AM, Lucille wrote:

"arlene" wrote in message
ndwidth...
On 1/5/2011 6:47 AM, Lucille wrote:

"joyce" wrote in message
On 2011/01/04 11:08 PM, Ellice K. wrote:

Still struggling thru the "Mr. Norrell& Jonathon Strange" book....

Ellice

Ellice

I gave up on that one, a year or so ago, after reading about 100
pages. It's really a strange book. I used to finish every book, if
only by skimming, but now I feel I don't have enough time left to read
anything I'm not enjoying, so give up more easily.

Joyce in RSA.

You said it for me.

I recently did the same thing with Cutting for Stone. I read somewhere
around 100 pages and realized I was struggling through it, so I sent it
back to the library.

I never would have done that years ago. I would have finished it as
though my final grade depended on it. Those days are gone forever.

Lucille

Cutting for stone is an incredible book. The first 100 pages drags,
but after that its wonderful.

Read it again. You'll love it.

Arlene

Maybe I'll try again in the future. I like the theme, but wasn't happy
with the way it, to use your word, dragged.

Lucille

Maybe it's just not the right book at this time. I just started it, and
am enthralled at 100 pages in. But it's something you might have to be
in the right mood for.

sue

--
Susan Hartman
Old January 13th 11, 11:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Margaret St. John

"joyce" wrote in message
[...]

I also have read this, and I really liked it. I was in the mood for
something different and it fit my mood perfectly, so maybe Sue is right
that it just isn't the right time for you to read it, or it just isn't
your taste. Nothing wrong with that.
-Margaret in MA

--
Margaret St. John

More reading Cheryl Isaak Needlework 16 October 18th 10 01:25 AM
OT - reading Cheryl Isaak Needlework 6 March 18th 10 09:08 AM
So what is everybody reading Cheryl Isaak Needlework 39 September 22nd 09 05:17 AM
OT - reading Cheryl Isaak Needlework 5 July 12th 05 06:42 PM
Way OT--Reading Lucille Needlework 14 September 18th 03 02:36 AM