Sewing with Corduroy...any tips?

Old December 1st 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

Default Sewing with Corduroy...any tips?

I am having problems getting the pieces not to "slip" when stitching. I
can' seem to find any tips on how to keep them aligned under the
foot....anyone with helpful hints that have worked for them? thanks!

Old December 1st 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
CypSew

Sometimes when I sew slippery fabrics, I put a strip of tissue paper between
the pieces at the seam. Tissue is very easy to tear out when finished;
other times, I pin well inside the seam line, placing them horizontal, so
they can be left till the garment is completed. I'm sure other readers will
have different ideas.
Emily

Old December 1st 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

Dear Fiveda,

Corduroy can be sewn the same as velvet. First, make sure that you've
cut all the pieces in the same direction. It's very obvious is they
aren't, as the pile catches light differently. For sewing, press the
two layers together, and rub them tightly together. This will cause
the pile to lock together, no pins needed. In fact, pins will cause
you grief. After you lock the layers together, hold the bottom of the
layers together, and keep lifting your work as you sew, so that the
layers will ease together. If they begin to slip, about half way down
the seam, take the work out of the machine and turn it around, and sew
from the opposite direction. The rubbing of the layers together is the
trick.

Teri