TIDBITS 07/17/05

Old July 17th 05, 12:07 PM
Benjamin Mark

Default TIDBITS 07/17/05

If any of you want Tidbits emailed directly, let me know and
I'll take care of it. Tidbits may be reprinted without charge --
with attribution. Additionally, if you know of anyone who you think
would enjoy Tidbits, please make them aware of us. URL
(http://www.tyler-adam.com). We encourage you to forward
this email to friends and colleagues.
======================================

The Ugliest God

Who is he ... for those of you mytholigically
inclined?

He's Semitic in origin ... he's African in
origin ... perhaps he's both. His name however,
is Egyptian. I do hope I'm mixing you up. He
always wore an animal skin and it is the animal--
Besa or Besu--from which his name was gleaned.

One usually views him as a dwarf with a huge bearded
head and a protruding tongue. Not a pleasant sight.
Imagine yourselves walking down the street one day
in sunny Americaville when coming the other way ....
He has a flat nose ... shaggy hair and eyebrows ...
large ears ... thick arms ... bowed legs. Not the Adonis
one tends to think of when thinking of gods.

The skin of the animal he wears is of the panther tribe.
Its tail drags along the ground behind him. On his head
rests a tiara of feathers. Clearly ... this god is a
savage. He is a multi-faceted chap. Perhaps a bit schizoid
.... for he is a god of music and dance as well as a god
of war and slaughter. He is a destroyer. He carries two knives
in his hands and can often be seen playing a harp. This
little fellow--in my opinion--is in the midst of an identity
crisis.

When he's not upheaving nature ... he's busy protecting children
and women about to give birth. When he's not carrying on with
his weaponry ... he's associated with joy and pleasure. Dichotomy
dwelleth within this god's soul. What, I wonder, would Freud have
thought of our Egyptian god? Could he be analyzed? Could he be
straightened out into becoming a normal ... functional and
rational god ... able to mix with other gods on a Sunday afternoon
when work was done? Could he playfully engage in a friendly game
of manipulating humans ... as is and was the habit of all gods past
and present ... all in good sport of course?

Bes is his name. He looks like what you've never seen before unless
you've seen his image. I have an picture of an amulet bearing his
likeness. Quite pretty in an ugly sort of way. Attractive in fact ...
in a terrifying manner. Beautiful as sin. Beatific as the devil
himself. It's worth a look-see. Not too sure of the material from
which he's made and so--in the golden spirit within which I reside ...
like Midas ... I turned him into gold. The photograph was black and
white and did not
mention his makeup.

For those of you who are new to this thing called
Tidbits...may I direct you to my home page at www.tyler-adam.com where
you will scroll down the left side menu till you get to the area that
says Tidbits Graphics ... and then click on the link that says: Bes
in order to view this great ugly god.

And there ya have it.
That's it for this week folks.
Catch you all next week.
Benjamin Mark

All issues of Tidbits are copyrighted and available from our
home page. All rights reserved.

TIDBITS 10/24/04 Benjamin Mark Jewelry 0 October 24th 04 11:59 PM
TIDBITS 10/24/04 Benjamin Mark General Crafting 0 October 24th 04 09:29 PM
TIDBITS 10/24/04 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 October 24th 04 09:27 PM
TIDBITS 07/13/03 Benjamin Mark Jewelry 2 July 21st 03 05:22 AM
TIDBITS 07/13/03 Benjamin Mark General Crafting 0 July 13th 03 11:01 PM