Making necklaces from .9999 gold grams

Old January 29th 08, 06:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Default Making necklaces from .9999 gold grams

wrote in message
In rec.crafts.jewelry on or about Sat, 26 Jan 2008 12:29:06 -0800 we
heard the sounds of a voice named "William Black"
crying out from afar, saying:

2. There's a big market for 24carat gold jewellery in India as well,
but,
as in China and Thailand, it's not for wearing, it's for hiding under the
bed and running away with when things get bad.

Oh jeez...and don't tell this stuff to my mother-in-law and many
sisters-in-law who still live in China and wear 24k gold jewelry.

Actually, during the Cultural Revolution, people sewed gold jewelry
and ingots into their clothing so they could run away with it (not a
bad idea for us here in the states lately.)

The point about the pure gold jewellery is that when you get stopped at the
border/roadblock the guys in the badly fitting fatigues will certainly steal
any bullion they find, but they might just leave your wife with her
jewellery, or at least some of it...

It's like experienced travelers in remote places tucking a couple of gold
sovereigns into the back of their wallet or sewn into their belt lining.

There are very few places in the world where two gold sovereigns won't get
you a taxi driver who'll take you to the nearest friendly consulate...

3. What royalty wears isn't actually anything to do with the real world.

I dare say they'd disagree.

I somehow doubt that.

The advantage of doing your training at the Central School of Jewellery in
Birmingham is that some of the visiting lecturers are the people who do this
stuff for royalty.

An excellent example is one I came across when I was doing the 'Advanced
Jewellery Making' course. The instructor was a 'Masonic jeweller', that
is, a
jeweller who makes insignia, and he was one of the best in the world.

He had been tasked with making the new collars and badges for three Garter
Knights who were to be appointed in 2005.

The gentleman who previously made these insignia had retired a year or so
previously and so someone had to find out how to make the things.

The moulds existed for the castings to make the basis for the jewellery but
my lecturer had to go to Buckingham Palace to look at and photograph an
extant example so that the various settings and fixings matched the earlier
examples.

This is not the sort of stuff anyone wears, never mind owns, in 'real
life'.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old January 30th 08, 06:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
ted frater

William Black wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Im going to come in here and comment on the making of the insignia.
Its my experience as a minter, medal ,& badge maker, that 99% are
struck between dies, not cast .
The reason for this is casting cannot generate the quality of detail
that minting from tool steel dies does.
Casting can be used but reqires a great amount of chasing up after
casting before enamelling. Especially if transparent enamels are being
used.
In order to get the reflective surface on the badge metal the dies
are polished when in the positive form, before the working die is
hobbed from the positive.
Furthermore the insignia would not have been comissioned from an
individual but from a Co. such as Fattorini Ltd.. who have been
speciallist medal, insignia makers for over 100 yrs in the Birmingham
jewellery quarter.
The didnt allways make their own dies, they put this work out to
various die makers, I was With one of them Paul Harper, when some order
of merit dies were being cut . Paul cut some of my dies as well.
Especially those not needing full 3D work.
That was done by H.B.Sale Ltd using the negative model process and the
Dekel reducing 3D die sinking.

Paul had an 1890's Janvier the french reducing engine which I lusted
after but couldnt afford.
this went to the Co called the Birmingham mint.
wether they used it Im not sure.
went for $20,000.00
Ted
Dorset UK.

Old January 30th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

In rec.crafts.jewelry on or about Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:26:22 -0800 we
heard the sounds of a voice named "William Black"
crying out from afar, saying:

3. What royalty wears isn't actually anything to do with the real world.

I dare say they'd disagree.

I somehow doubt that.

We *were* talking about King Tut, right?
I didn't mean y'all's royalty...

The advantage of doing your training at the Central School of Jewellery in
Birmingham is that some of the visiting lecturers are the people who do this
stuff for royalty.

They have lecturers in Alabama??
Dang! Who knew?
(Sorry)

An excellent example is one I came across when I was doing the 'Advanced
Jewellery Making' course. The instructor was a 'Masonic jeweller', that
is, a
jeweller who makes insignia, and he was one of the best in the world.

He had been tasked with making the new collars and badges for three Garter
Knights who were to be appointed in 2005.

The gentleman who previously made these insignia had retired a year or so
previously and so someone had to find out how to make the things.

The moulds existed for the castings to make the basis for the jewellery but
my lecturer had to go to Buckingham Palace to look at and photograph an
extant example so that the various settings and fixings matched the earlier
examples.

This is not the sort of stuff anyone wears, never mind owns, in 'real
life'.

No, I see your point.

--

Anulos qui animum ostendunt omnes gestemus!
Old January 30th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

"Ted Frater" wrote in message
2. There's a big market for 24carat gold jewellery in India as well,
but,
as in China and Thailand, it's not for wearing, it's for hiding under
the
bed and running away with when things get bad.

Im going to come in here and comment on the making of the insignia.
Its my experience as a minter, medal ,& badge maker, that 99% are
struck between dies, not cast .

These particular items were cast.

The reason for this is casting cannot generate the quality of detail
that minting from tool steel dies does.
Casting can be used but reqires a great amount of chasing up after
casting before enamelling. Especially if transparent enamels are being
used.

Interestingly I was told that UK orders of chivalry now use cold enameling
for various reasons.

Furthermore the insignia would not have been comissioned from an
individual but from a Co. such as Fattorini Ltd.. who have been
speciallist medal, insignia makers for over 100 yrs in the Birmingham
jewellery quarter.

I believe his 'day job' was with Fattorini, he was a guest lecturer for a
week long special course.

--
William Black

Time for tea.