New Member

Old December 28th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
knittikitti

Default New Member

Hi There!
Just started blogging yesterday and found this group..........yay! I'd
like to start spinning and would like some suggestions types of wheels
and the differences between them. Help all you experienced spinners
out there! Where do I start?

Old December 28th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Ophelia

"knittikitti" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi There!
Just started blogging yesterday and found this group..........yay! I'd
like to start spinning and would like some suggestions types of wheels
and the differences between them. Help all you experienced spinners
out there! Where do I start?

Well you will find much more experienced spinners than I, but I have an
Ashford and it works very well)

Old December 28th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"knittikitti" wrote in message
s.com...
Hi There!
Just started blogging yesterday and found this group..........yay! I'd
like to start spinning and would like some suggestions types of wheels
and the differences between them. Help all you experienced spinners
out there! Where do I start?

Don't do anything in a hurry! Find someone who spins, preferably more than
one, and learn from him/her. Better still, find a class so that you can see
different wheels and even techniques. Then there are peripherals ...

If it were me I'd prefer to use a great wheel; a daughter who's a
professional spinner uses a very modern wheel with an unusual configuration;
another friend who makes a living from spinning flax and silk as well as
wool uses several wheels according to what she wants to achieve; Spouse made
his own and wouldn't use anything else.

It's a big subject and you can waste a lot of money if you rush into it.

But it's also very rewarding once you can do it well. A good spinner
achieves such an even thread that it looks as though it's been spun by
machine :-)

Mary

Old December 28th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Ophelia

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

[...]

Quite so, but most of us are very happy with an Ashford and we get just as
good thread you will find

No point in putting off a new spinner with talk of stuff she will find hard
to find!!!

Old December 28th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

In our area there is a winter retreat where there are classes and
opportunities for sharing information with others --
http://www.madronafiberarts.com/ You might look around to see if there
is something like that near you. In my home town there is actually a
storefront on the old mainstreet that offers is run by a local weaving
guild that has supplies, classes etc. - unfortunately I don't live
there anymore.
( Lots of others have moved too - hence a main street with this and a
wonderful small yarn shop - where we just have box stores and no real
main street)

Old December 28th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shirley Shone

In message , Ophelia
writes

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

[...]

I have a Ashford traveller. A good spinning wheel.
A tutor I knew made all her pupils spin with a drop spindle and lost
several pupils because they could not get the hang of it. I taught many
to spin straight on the wheel.
I have done and taught many crafts and I always say if the end product
turns out right it does not matter what method you choose to do it.
It does not matter how you hold your crochet hook or knitting needles as
long as the end product is correct.
Shirley

Old December 28th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Ophelia

"Shirley Shone" wrote in message
In message , Ophelia
writes

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

[...]

Excellent advice Shirley!

Old December 28th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Shirley Shone" wrote in message

I have a Ashford traveller. A good spinning wheel.

It is, it was the first type Spouse tried and it's what encouraged him - but
he couldn't afford to buy one.

A tutor I knew made all her pupils spin with a drop spindle and lost
several pupils because they could not get the hang of it.

that's not surprising. You have to be determined to spin well using a drop
spindle, it isn't a hobby.

I taught many to spin straight on the wheel.
I have done and taught many crafts and I always say if the end product
turns out right it does not matter what method you choose to do it.
It does not matter how you hold your crochet hook or knitting needles as
long as the end product is correct.

I agree, but a wheel of any kind is a more expensive purchase than a hook or
pair of needles if the pupil decides that it's not for him/her.

We don't want disappointed spinners, do we :-)

:-)

Mary

Shirley

Old December 28th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Ophelia

[...]

How many wheels have you bought or even used Mary? I also wonder how many
needles or crochet hooks you have even used??????

bits and pieces: new member, thimbles, handquilting BJ Quilting 5 October 12th 06 02:52 AM
New member, new quilter smeehan Quilting 23 October 12th 06 01:55 AM
new family member Marigold Quilting 7 October 22nd 04 06:11 PM
RCB Member Links page update Valerie Beads 1 May 3rd 04 03:12 AM
I recieved this question from a new member Queen of Squishies Quilting 15 January 24th 04 01:42 PM