Putting a Quilt Together (help needed)

Old April 3rd 05, 03:31 PM
Christina in Ok

Default Putting a Quilt Together (help needed)

I thought I would have this all put together Yesterday, But I have ran into
a big snag..

First off has anyone been doing the 04 BOM Quilt at
www.downhomequilting.com
It would make this post easier if you did so.
Did you Corner Setting Triangles & Side Setting Triangles come out correct
when you where doing Dec's.
Mine are short.
Down for more info;

I am to use a Diagram to sew the blocks into diagonal rows. it does say to
pay close attention to the orientation of the 3 side setting squares. and I
am too add the Corner Triangles last..
Sew the rows together, matching up the setting squares with the sashing
rectangles.. You will find it helpful to pin.. (UGH) The on-point setting is
a little awkward, but the results are beautiful.

Now let me back track to the Month of NOV when I was to cut out the Corner
and Side Setting Triangles
Instructions whe

Corner Settings Triangles
Cut 2 Background Squares 11 1/2" and cut once on the diagonal to create 4
Triangles.

Side Setting Triangles
Cut 2 background Squares 16 1/2" and cut twice on the diagonal to create 8
triangles.

It said that she had us to cut the triangles larger then needed and it was
figured into the above measurements.

Now back to Dec She has two diagrams, one is how it should be layer out,
while the other one of is talking about corner triangles, which gives me a
better view of the quilt once it is all together
and all the setting and Corner Triangles meet together..

the ones I cut out do NOT.. They like a good Two inches
The first row it says to add a Corner triangle, Not going to the sides...
Row 2 is sewed on to Row 3 and I have one Setting Triangle on, but is not
reaching the middle of Row 2.. and I think if should reach the far end of
Row 2

DO I need to cut out bigger Triangles ?

I really don't wish to post a photo of the quilt yet... Not even with this
problem, Because I wished to Surprise everyone with what I have done so far,
and with the colors. But I do find myself in a pickle

Old April 3rd 05, 04:25 PM
Roberta Zollner

I need to see what you've done before I can understand the problem. (And I
couldn't find 2004 BOM on the link.) But in general, I usually cut setting
triangles larger than needed. Cut a square with sides as long as the
diagonal of your blocks plus about 1.5" or 2". Cut the square into 4
triangles by slicing both its diagonals. That sounds like what you did.
When you sew these triangles to the blocks, you're attaching a bias edge to
a straight edge, so be careful not to stretch. Although that doesn't sound
like your problem.
But it helps to match the square corner of the side triangle to the square
corner of the block, even if you want to start the seam at the point of the
triangle. Then it's easy to see if the triangles are going to be too small.
Roberta in D

Old April 3rd 05, 04:50 PM
Christina in Ok

OH Ok, I will try to cut out more.. but wasn't sure how to do that..
I am 18" on one and the 14" on the other.. So cut to Squares that are 20"
and 16" ?
I think my quilt is going to be bigger then the pattern is

Old April 3rd 05, 07:01 PM
Christina in Ok

Thank you Roberta,
I might not be in as big as a pickle as I thought.. after all.

Old April 3rd 05, 08:03 PM
Christina in Ok

http://gardenbreeze.us/forums/index.php?topic=120.0

Row one is the Triangle, row two is what you see on top and row three is
under.
Instructions are in the other post named
Putting a Quilt Together (help needed)

here is the last problem I have, the under block is facing right side up,
the top block is as it should be sewed.

My question is, Should I go on and sewing it as shown..
As you see, the one I need to sew it overlapping on both sides about 1/4" on
one side and about 1/2" on the other side.. Should I sew it up from there
the triangle block's or just start off where the block is?

Old April 3rd 05, 08:38 PM
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"Christina in Ok" wrote:

http://gardenbreeze.us/forums/index.php?topic=120.0

Row one is the Triangle, row two is what you see on top and row three is
under.
Instructions are in the other post named
Putting a Quilt Together (help needed)

here is the last problem I have, the under block is facing right side up,
the top block is as it should be sewed.

My question is, Should I go on and sewing it as shown..
As you see, the one I need to sew it overlapping on both sides about 1/4" on
one side and about 1/2" on the other side.. Should I sew it up from there
the triangle block's or just start off where the block is?

That link took me to the Garden Breeze discussion group. Should there
be a picture there somewhere?

marcella
Old April 3rd 05, 09:05 PM
Christina in Ok

http://gardenbreeze.us/forums/index.php?topic=120.0

The link takes you right to the photo
Its under the Kitchen Table
Crafts and Things
quilt Block (grayscale)
GardenBreeze is my Web site.
to post photos it faster for me then web shots.

Let me go in under Admin and make sure guest can view photos.. I may have
it turned off. sorry

Old April 4th 05, 01:59 AM
Becky

What size are your blocks?

The numbers you gave for cutting the triangles will give you a corner
setting triangle that matches up to a block that is up to about 15 inches on
a side, and a side setting triangle that matches blcoks that are up to about
11 inches on a side. If your blocks are larger than 11 inches square, then
the given side triangles will not fit. The diagonal of the square you
started with for the side setting triangles has to be at an absolute minimum
at least twice the measurement of your unfinished block For the corner
triangles, the diagonal of the starting square must be at least as long as
the side of your unfisished quilt block

What is the size of your blocks?

Becky

Becky
[...]

Hi rctq, I'm desperate for help in salvaging this quilt (really, really long) Meghan Quilting 34 November 22nd 04 05:23 PM
Nice Quilt Story Sk8eraunt Quilting 4 October 2nd 04 03:46 PM
Mini B.C. quilt shop tour shhdesigns Quilting 13 September 15th 04 04:03 AM
Advice needed for finishing quilt Mardi Quilting 38 February 18th 04 08:38 AM