a 'dyeing' query

Old May 4th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default a 'dyeing' query

I agree with you, Cher. I have a lot of silver streaks in my dark
brown hair and I think they look lovely in the sun...

Alison

On Thu, 04 May 2006 05:53:36 GMT, "spinninglilac"
wrote:

Oh Katherine...I can't wait to go white.....lol I've never dyed my hair,
and am now getting little bits of grey...well quite a few streaks, and it
has gone alot lighter brown the rich dark brown it has always been...perhaps
when it goes really white I'll dye it burgundy and that'll turn it a sort of
shocking pink...and I'll wear bright purple clothes and all that...when I go
white..

higz Cher

"Katherine" wrote in message
Well, yes, I am a natural redhead. But the ravages of time, alas, have
caused a gradual fading to more of a blonde, which I don't really like. So
I *enhance* it just a bit. g

Higs,
Katherine

YarnWright wrote:
wha????????
you mean you're NOT a natural.... ummmm, lets see if i remember....
redhead?
Noreen
who's got 'frosted' hair, to cover the natural greyfrosting that's
been steadily occurring.

Alas, Noreen, all I dye is my hair. Whoops, did I say that out
loud??? g

Higs,
Katherine

YarnWright wrote:
For you more experienced dye-ers.... would an alpaca silk blend yarn
'dye-up' EVENLY?
Here's the scoop, I'm going to need a black shawl, and I mean BLACK
for an important event this summer. As you know, my eyes can't take
it, even using a white ragg/towel, whatever on my lap, so... I'm
thinking of dyeing the shawl after I knit it up.
Whatcha think?
TIA,
Noreen

---
avast! AV: Inbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-1, 05/03/2006
Tested: 5/3/2006 6:14:02 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006

---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-1, 05/03/2006
Tested: 5/3/2006 6:15:11 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006

Old May 4th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Whew, that's a relief!

Higs,
Katherine

spinninglilac wrote:
No.....we didn't hear you Katherine...

higz Cher

Old May 4th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article , Shirley Shone
wrote:

Those magnifying glasses on strings are not very handy. If you have a
well endowed bosom like me, they stand out too far so it does not focus
on your work. I think a man must of invented them. Also the string cuts
in the back of your neck, and they are inclined to tip up. That type was
my first magnifying glass and was discarded quickly.
Using small beads I have tried quite a few. I ended up with the Mag Eyes
which work very well because you can also look over the top to look in
the distance or TV. They have about 4 sets of different strength lenses.
For taking on holiday I have a pair that clips on my glasses and they
flip up out of the way but are small so do not take up much room.

The Mag- Eyes are larger since they fasten on a head band and look a bit
like something out of space. LOL
I would say Mad-Eyes every time and several of my friends have got them
and agree with me.
Shirley

Shirley

I have both, the large glass that hangs around your neck, as well as the
clip on glassed. I also have a big bosom, but I made a kumihimo braid I
can adjust and so it does work for me,I use it when I do my crossword
puzzles. The clip on/ flip up glasses I use when I am weaving, so I can
thread the fine threads through my reed. I have a third one though. It
is a magnifying lens set in with a circular neon light. It has a long
pull out arm. That really works very well. I have it clamped to my work
table. There are all kinds of different solutions. My biggest problem is
the small writing on the computer. On the internet most of the time you
can enlarge, but not always. Tiny print on different coloured backgrounds
are murder. I give up on websites that are unreadable. It is not worth
my time..... LOL I guess we are all heading for magnifying lenses and
glasses.

Els
Old May 4th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

LOL I thought that you had been reading Harry Potter. g

Higs,
Katherine

Shirley Shone wrote:
Sorry to follow my own post but I really do mean Mag-Eyes and not
Mad-Eyes. LOL.
I have only just got out of bed and have not put my specs on yet.
Shirley

In message , Shirley Shone
writes
[...]

spinninglilac writes
not sure what dye you'd use for this, and it would need soaking
evenly, most home dyeing doesn't do evenly because the material
gets creased or folded when in the dyepot. So I would suggest
several goes at it, BUT if your eyes aren't up to black, maybe using a
magnifying
glass that you have on a string around your neck, and it has a
piece on it that rests on your chest, so everytime you look down,
you would be looking through the mag glass.. These should be able
to be purchased from those shops that sell things for cross
stitch.. well that is what I would suggest making the work bigger
to look at and thus not having to dye it... most dyes I do need
boiling to get the dye into the wool.. Perhaps others have a better
solution to this, cheers...Cher

--
change n e t to c o m to reply to / email me.
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-1, 05/03/2006
Tested: 5/3/2006 1:45:35 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2006

Old May 4th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

gawd the mind boggles as well as the eyes....I have the bossom mag glass,
and it isn't easy you are correct to big and busty, and breathing makes it
go up and down too...LOL. we have shops that sell mag glasses in various
thicknesses so you get a card to read and try on the numbered glasses, half
glasses actually, and when you find the pair you can read comfortably in
without them pulling at your eyes that is the number you need...guess they
are the same except that these are made with arms and in a frame and look
like proper glasses.

higz Cher

Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk

Old May 4th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Oh ha! I like that.....I "enhance" my hair color Then I go swimming
and chlorine enhances the enhancement...which is saying it makes the
blonde go even more blonde.

BB

Old May 4th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In message , Els van Dam
writes
In article , Shirley Shone
wrote:

[...]

I too have one of those magnifiers with a light that is on a stand.
However when I am doing beadwork and use really long threads sometimes
up to six metres in length, I find I keep hitting the magnifier with the
sharp beading needle and I have scratched it badly. My husband who sits
alongside of me in his recliner really has to watch out when I am
pulling a long length of thread through. If he gets too close he is
liable to get vaccinated. LOL

Shirley

Old May 4th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

These are the ones that I have
http://www.btinternet.com/~mdg/mageyes.html

Hope I got the right.
Shirley

In message ,
spinninglilac writes

natural dyeing Els van Dam Yarn 0 August 23rd 05 03:27 AM
Dyeing Silk Yarn cariadai Yarn 2 March 7th 05 04:31 AM
dyeing with food colouring Els van Dam Yarn 14 July 1st 04 07:17 PM
KoolAid dye question... Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 78 November 9th 03 09:36 PM