Adjusting pattern sizing question

Old August 24th 05, 04:35 PM
Sara

Default Adjusting pattern sizing question

Hi everyone! I hope someone can offer me some advice. I'm sewing a pair of
pants and it's my first try a a pattern that isn't one of the "easy" ones.
Here's the issue: my hips are one size smaller than my waist. Can I just
cut on the larger waistline and blend the pattern cutting lines together?
And if that's so, then which crotchline should I use? If I can't do that,
then should I just rely on letting out the waistline darts to make the waist
bigger? TIA!
Sara L.

Old August 24th 05, 04:46 PM
Kate Dicey

Sara wrote:

Hi everyone! I hope someone can offer me some advice. I'm sewing a pair of
pants and it's my first try a a pattern that isn't one of the "easy" ones.
Here's the issue: my hips are one size smaller than my waist. Can I just
cut on the larger waistline and blend the pattern cutting lines together?

Yes! I do this all the time, for both myself and customers. Make it a
nice smooth curve.

And check the rise measurement - but it should be OK.

And if that's so, then which crotchline should I use?

The one for the hip size you choose. But check it!

If I can't do that, then should I just rely on letting out the waistline darts to make the waist
bigger?

Nah... They tend to hang off line if you do that for a whole size,
because the balance is wrong.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 24th 05, 05:02 PM
Sara

Thank you so much Kate! I was getting all antsy wanting to make my pants
but too nervous to do the wrong thing.

Old August 24th 05, 10:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:35:33 -0400, Sara wrote:
Hi everyone! I hope someone can offer me some advice. I'm sewing a pair of
pants and it's my first try a a pattern that isn't one of the "easy" ones.
Here's the issue: my hips are one size smaller than my waist. Can I just
cut on the larger waistline and blend the pattern cutting lines together?
And if that's so, then which crotchline should I use? If I can't do that,
then should I just rely on letting out the waistline darts to make the waist
bigger? TIA!

Got any pants that fit you well? If so, put one leg inside the other, as
if you were going to sew the crotch seam from front to back. Trace off
the "right hip size" pattern, remove the seam allowances from it, and
lay the pattern pieces over your pants that fit. The crotch curve shape
and depth and width, along with total hip circumference, are the hard parts
to fit for pants. The rest can be finagled -- so check to see if that
area is correct for you first.

Kay

Old August 25th 05, 07:19 PM

Dear Sara,

When commercial companies draft pants, they use the hip to begin the
draft. Use a larger size, and take in the waist. In any case, when you
use a new pattern, you need to make a muslin first before using your
good fabric. You may need to alter the crotch length or depth. Make
all the alterations by basting the muslin together, and then fit it and
use the muslin for your final pattern.

Teri

unlurking - pattern question Cats13 Yarn 2 June 30th 05 05:51 AM
Follow up to that pattern question Sorceress Yarn 1 April 22nd 04 08:07 PM
pattern question Kristine Quilici Yarn 7 April 21st 04 02:24 AM
Square pattern question Janise Ross Yarn 6 April 15th 04 01:28 AM
need help with pattern sizing quickly no spam Sewing 2 January 23rd 04 04:09 PM