Pictures of hand placements?

Old July 31st 05, 11:28 PM
Bubbles

Default Pictures of hand placements?

Hi folks!

Me again! Avid learning taking place! Hehe!

I want to print and laminate pictures of hand positions during various
operations of throwing and then laminate them and hang them in front of my
wheel for very quick reference. I have been picture-googling for pictures,
but ended up at www.nanhamilton.com instead (what an artist!) and otherwise
didn't have much luck finding good pics of hand placements - like the ones
in my books that I am too lazy to scan ;-)

So - anyone know of places where I can find ready images I can print? I
would like to have of collaring and such as well, if possible.

Thanks, guys! You are just great!

Marianne

Old August 1st 05, 02:52 PM
Richard Kaszeta

"Bubbles" writes:
I want to print and laminate pictures of hand positions during various
operations of throwing and then laminate them and hang them in front of my
wheel for very quick reference. I have been picture-googling for pictures,
but ended up at www.nanhamilton.com instead (what an artist!) and otherwise
didn't have much luck finding good pics of hand placements - like the ones
in my books that I am too lazy to scan ;-)

From my experience, I wouldn't focus all that much on hand placement,
since I throw in a studio with a half dozen good throwers, and we all
have very different techniques, often because we have different hand
shapes, throwing positions, strength, and preference. For example, I
use an electric wheel, throw standing (unless I'm throwing a tall
multi-piece construction), don't brace my arms since I have very
strong forearms, and I never collar. Everyone finds their own style.

The pictures and techniques in books are a good start, but it's better
to get a bunch of bags of recycled clay, try a few different
techniques from books, and mess around and find something that works
for you---then you won't need pictures, since it's what works
naturally for you.

Just one hobbyist's opinion.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Old August 3rd 05, 11:00 PM
Bubbles

"Richard Kaszeta" wrote in message

From my experience, I wouldn't focus all that much on hand placement,
since I throw in a studio with a half dozen good throwers, and we all
have very different techniques, often because we have different hand
shapes, throwing positions, strength, and preference. For example, I
use an electric wheel, throw standing (unless I'm throwing a tall
multi-piece construction), don't brace my arms since I have very
strong forearms, and I never collar. Everyone finds their own style.

The pictures and techniques in books are a good start, but it's better
to get a bunch of bags of recycled clay, try a few different
techniques from books, and mess around and find something that works
for you---then you won't need pictures, since it's what works
naturally for you.

Just one hobbyist's opinion.

Hi Richard :-)

I appreciate your opinion, but I am a bit slow on the learning scale these
days, and forget what has worked for me before. Therefore, I would like to
"pin up" those hands that remind me what worked for me last time, if you
understand.

I have decided to spend 3-4 days a week in the studio now, in order to
really get going on my work. I do realize as I make one wobbly pot after the
other, I will get less wobly and more sure of my moves - but - for example -
to collar in the body and to collar in the top have a couple of very good
hand-positions that do the trick. Also to recenter after opening up, I would
like a few examples to try.

The rest of my walls will be covered with pictures of ideas of things to
make - though having bought plaster ball forms now, I think I might like to
play with those a bit! But I will have to spend at least a day a week
throwing on the wheel, in order to get the right touch.

Marianne

Old August 4th 05, 01:57 AM
Scoop

"Bubbles" wrote in message

play with those a bit! But I will have to spend at least a day a week
throwing on the wheel, in order to get the right touch.

Marianne

Marianne,
I just took a course that lasted 6 weeks, starting at 8 AM and going
until 2 PM, all of it independent study type work. I chose to focus on the
wheel, since I'd already acheived a fairly decent amount of success.
Now, 6 weeks later, I look at the difference in the quality of my work,
and realize that the daily, continuous work on the wheel made a huge
difference. I can center without worry, pull walls that are even, tall, and
thin, and pretty well get the clay to do what I want. I'd encourage you to
focus on the wheel more than once a week, otherwise your progress will seem
extremely slow, and will probably frustrate you.

I'll keep looking for hand position guides.

Old August 4th 05, 04:19 AM
Lori

Marianne,

If you can be really patient and wait for a couple more days, I still
need to download the rest of the "manuals" we use in the classroom to
my Yahoo! gallery.

We spent the better part of the Spring semester photographing the
various processes and now have several resource binders the students
can use when there's no faculty or staff in attendance in the school
studio.

I'll post the link - probably about Sunday - once they're up and ready
to view.

Lori

Old August 4th 05, 09:25 PM
Bubbles

"Scoop" wrote in message

I just took a course that lasted 6 weeks, starting at 8 AM and going
until 2 PM, all of it independent study type work. I chose to focus on
the wheel, since I'd already acheived a fairly decent amount of success.
Now, 6 weeks later, I look at the difference in the quality of my work,
and realize that the daily, continuous work on the wheel made a huge
difference. I can center without worry, pull walls that are even, tall,
and thin, and pretty well get the clay to do what I want. I'd encourage
you to focus on the wheel more than once a week, otherwise your progress
will seem extremely slow, and will probably frustrate you.

Hi Scoop!

I am in my studio and on the wheel about 3 times a week now. As much as I
can, really. If possible, I will even go on the wheel once every day. But
life somehow seems to get in the way, if you know what I mean. And 1 hour is
too little time for me, what with having to knead the clay and set
everything up. My hubby is very supportive, though - so he even makes dinner
after a long day at work, so I can get another hour in in the studio.

I now have 3 weeks before the next guest (my mom) arrives, so I am going to
devote as much time as possible to that durned wheel of mine! Hehe!

You are quite right, though - I must put in the time at the wheel in order
to progress. Mind you, I tried 2 600-gram pieces today and couldn't center
either for the life of me! I think maybe I was being too hard - using too
much power and not enough "zen" :-) Will try again tomorrow or the day
after.

I'll keep looking for hand position guides.

Thanks so much! You might want to put that slightly on hold, though, as Lori
seems to have pictures which she just needs time to upload.

Marianne

Old August 4th 05, 09:25 PM
Bubbles

"Lori" wrote in message
oups.com...
Marianne,

If you can be really patient and wait for a couple more days, I still
need to download the rest of the "manuals" we use in the classroom to
my Yahoo! gallery.

We spent the better part of the Spring semester photographing the
various processes and now have several resource binders the students
can use when there's no faculty or staff in attendance in the school
studio.

I'll post the link - probably about Sunday - once they're up and ready
to view.

Sounds great, Lori!!! THANK YOU!!!

I will trundle along without the pics until I read from you on here :-)

Marianne

Old August 7th 05, 06:29 PM
Lori

Marianne,

Well, here's what I have for you - http://snipurl.com/gs3i

I haven't edited any of the copy yet - don't know if I really need to.
If you think I do, let me know. There are a lot of photos - some of
them will come out because they're just not necessary - kind of
redundant - but I won't be doing that for a couple of days yet.

The next album will be trimming the bowl - not quite so many pictures.

Hope this helps!

Lori

Old August 7th 05, 07:29 PM
Bubbles

"Lori" wrote in message
oups.com...
Marianne,

Well, here's what I have for you - http://snipurl.com/gs3i

A thousand thanks!

One question - how much clay is used in this example?

I haven't edited any of the copy yet - don't know if I really need to.
If you think I do, let me know. There are a lot of photos - some of
them will come out because they're just not necessary - kind of
redundant - but I won't be doing that for a couple of days yet.

By copy, you mean text, right? I haven't gone through the whole album yet,
but so far, I don't see anything other than the DS-xxx picture names. True,
though - if you halfway know what you are supposed to be doing, there is
little need of explanation :-)

The next album will be trimming the bowl - not quite so many pictures.

Trimming, I am pretty good at, actually. Just have to have a bowl to trim!
Haha! Also, I sometimes get almost dizzy from staring at the bowl going
round and round!

Hope this helps!

It most certainly does. Thank you so much!

Marianne

Old August 7th 05, 11:35 PM
Lori

Good, I'm glad you can make use of these.

He generally uses 1-2 lbs. of clay for demonstration purposes. I'm not
sure how much he was using here. Probably about 2 lbs.

Yes, by copy I mean the text. If you see no need for it, I won't
bother adding it.

Don't worry - you'll soon have those bowls to trim. Just take a deep
breath and plunge right in. Steady and slow. Listen to rhythm of the
wheel and join yourself to the clay. Feel the rhythm of the clay as it
unfolds itself for you, like a blossom does to the sun. Center
yourself with the clay.

I often close my eyes while centering - gets me in tune with it.

Take care,

Lori