A quilt for me - January - starting point

Old January 4th 04, 11:40 PM
Karlee in Kansas

Default A quilt for me - January - starting point

(wow, I've spent a lot of time at the comp today....)

ok, QFM 1: the SNW. There is more to the SnW story than I've told, I've
been waiting for the right time to tell it, and the right time to not break
down in tears. A couple of you know the story, but here it is for
everyone. Back in November, my dad handed me a check. It took me a day to
realize what it was...it wasn't just Christmas cash, it was my inheritance
from my Opa. He felt that I should get the check for Christmas, to ease
the pain of going through my first Christmas without him. I had no idea
how to spend it. After talking to both my parents, crying my eyes out,
staring at the check...I decided to make a "Quilt from Opa" that I could
wrap up in whenever I needed to. Kinda like one last hug from him. I
decided that I'd make my first SnW as my Opa Quilt. I bought some gorgeous
burgundy fabric, held my breath, taped my eyelids open with duct tape, and
started cutting my $8.50/yd fabric (I normally can't afford to purchase
such gold as this).

I had to fussy cut the pieces for my kits...and even they aren't
perfect...seems as if the printing is a bit wonky. No worries
though...I'll blame it on bad cutting. I pinned half the kits to their
respective backgrounds, pinned the kits together, and started making
blocks. I have 7/16 done, and plan on making a block a day until they are
done, then piece the top sans borders, drag the whole mess to the lqs to
get border help.

QFM 2: DIY BOM. I'm super excited about this one, I've been toying with
the idea of it for some time now, and Mardi gave me the shove I so
desperately needed. I designed it in its entirety already, but am going to
take it slow with the sewing so I don't get burned out on it.

Well, there it is...my starting point. Wish me Luck!!
Hugs
Karlee in Kansas
Queen of Packrats

Take a look!!! http://www.angelfire.com/ks3/karlee/index.html
~~
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
matter and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Old January 5th 04, 02:15 PM
Polly Esther

That quilt is going to be a beauty. It has such a wonderful beginning as a
hug from your precious Opa. Polly

m...

Old January 5th 04, 02:37 PM
Musicmaker

I'm really rooting for the SnW quilt. My heart really went out to you when
your Opa left. (now I'm going to ask something I know I ought to know the
answer to and feel really stupid - what does SnW stand for?)

--
Cindy Bettinger

http://photos.yahoo.com/cbet_99
http://www.one-eleven.net/~music/
http://simplymusic.net

Old January 5th 04, 03:49 PM
Karlee in Kansas

Stack N Whack, in a nutshell, a kaleidoscope quilt...

Bethany Roberts was the one that really made it popular...if you want, I
can find you some links.

Opa loved kaleidoscopes....so I feel that its right proper I make a quilt
of one in his memory. (Yes, I'm still having issues with his passing, but
that in itself is a longer story. Making a quilt in his memory is "good
therapy" according to my shrink)

Old January 6th 04, 12:25 AM
Denise Jameson

hm..that should be Bethany Reynolds..........here's a link to her
book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...092457-3929536

Denise in Ontario, Canada
Happy New Year to all my fellow quilty friends! :-)

Old January 6th 04, 03:02 PM
Musicmaker

thanks for the offer, Karlee, but I'm familiar with SnW - just didn't
recognize the abbreviation. What fabric are you going to use? I have one
UFO in my house - it is my king size SnW project that I simply cannot
finish. I'll be re-looking at it to see if maybe I could make some
children's quilts, actually splitting some of the kaleidoscopes. It's an
aqua background with bright tropical fish and blue and black batik accents.