OT - More on fruitcake discrimination

Old December 20th 03, 10:05 PM
Kathy Applebaum

Default OT - More on fruitcake discrimination

Well, I made the trip to the store near my work during a break from quilting
the quilt from h***. Struck out.

No candied citron to be seen, although I did find the candied cherries. I
grabbed one of the longtime employees, and asked him where the candied
citron was. "On the baking aisle, right next to the candied cherries." Not!
Asked him to show me, and he couldn't find them either. (and no bin tag for
them.) He paged another employee, who also thought they were next to the
candied cherries. The best they could do is scratch their heads.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old December 20th 03, 11:04 PM
Diana Curtis

This is just sad. Couldnt someone find some of this dratted, elusive fruit
and Fed-Ex it to her? Please?
Diana, who has never made a fruitcake so doesnt know nothing bout nothing
here.

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
. ..

Old December 21st 03, 12:20 AM
Kathy Applebaum

I may just have to drive up the hill to Cameron Park. There are rumors of
both citron and a new LQS. I hear the siren call... (And if not, the
internet is still my friend. I *will* have my fruitcake eventually!)

As to what is citron, see
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/citron.html and
http://www.vinetreeorchards.com/citron.htm

You have to make your own fruitcake. That way you can make it will all the
stuff you love. For example, mine has pecans and macadamia, but no walnuts.
Yummie!

Old December 21st 03, 12:44 AM
Diana Curtis

But I thought only people who have no friends have to make their own
fruitcake...
Either that or: there is only one fruitcake in existance and its just not my
turn to host it, then pass it along.
Its like zuccinni in those respects... isnt it?
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
.. .

Old December 21st 03, 01:33 AM
Elizabeth Young

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

I may just have to drive up the hill to Cameron Park. There are rumors of
both citron and a new LQS. I hear the siren call... (And if not, the
internet is still my friend. I *will* have my fruitcake eventually!)

As to what is citron, see
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/morton/citron.html and
http://www.vinetreeorchards.com/citron.htm

You have to make your own fruitcake. That way you can make it will all the
stuff you love. For example, mine has pecans and macadamia, but no walnuts.
Yummie!

530 676 0512 is the number for the Belair - call them and make sure
they have citron - I saw candied peel of some kind.
The number for the LQS (same shopping center) is 530 677 9990

liz young in cameron park
Old December 21st 03, 01:35 AM
Kathy Applebaum

People with no friends make *bad* fruitcake. I have lots of friends, so I
make yummy fruitcake!

Think of a thick slice of candied fruits and lots of nuts, with just barely
enough moist, flavorful cake to hold it together, and just enough spices to
tease you. Some people insist on soaking them in alcohol, but I'm a purist
and feel the cake should stand on its own. A good fruitcake in no way
resembles the old, hard, dried out thing that's the butt of many a joke.

Of course, knowing you as I do, I'm starting to suspect that you're not as
innocent in the ways of fruitcake as you appear, and you're secretly hoping
a delicious fruitcake will appear in your mail box! ;-)

Old December 21st 03, 02:10 AM
Diana Curtis

Ahhh you found me out.
Am I so transparent as all that?
:-)
And what are you hoping Santa will drop down your chimney this year... WI
cheese? There still is the matter of the bribe you sent me..
Diana

Old December 21st 03, 02:56 AM
AlenasMom

[...]

Oh I so desperately want to make a fruitcake... I just don't have the guts

Old December 21st 03, 03:21 AM
Diana Curtis

Oh, go for it! From what I can tell you cant possibly mess it up!
Diana, the non fruitcake expert
--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

news

Old December 21st 03, 03:56 AM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

Kathy-

No! No! No! Do NOT use candied citron! That's the icky, nasty stuff
that makes everybody say they hate fruitcakes! You want candied
cherries, candied pineapple, dates, light and dark raisins, figs, dried
apricots.... even craisins (dried cranberries) would be yummy. Any
combination of any choices of those will be delightful. NO CITRON!!!
NO PEEL!!!

Leslie & The FOUR Furbabies

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"