Vulcan pot pinch versus using index and long finger?

Old July 31st 05, 07:55 PM
Bubbles

Default Vulcan pot pinch versus using index and long finger?

Here's me again - full of questions! :-D

Okay - today I actually managed to center well and ended up with 2 bowls
that I lifted off the wheel. I tried getting my fingers around the vulcan
pot pinch, but I couldn't spread them wide enough appart and ended up using
index and long fingers instead.

My pots did get a little wobbly, though. I would think using 4 instead of 2
fingers would help stabilize - right? Or maybe I should leave a thicker base
to my pots when using this method instead of bats?

Marianne

Old August 1st 05, 02:33 AM

i thin you got the idea with the lift you just did.

see ya

steve

Old August 9th 05, 06:55 PM

Actually, don't lift. I don't often through right on the wheel, either
I use humps, or bats. Anyways, when I do thow directly on the wheel, I
use the wire to get it off. It's really simple. Cut the piece through
with the wire, then put LOTS of water on the wheel head all around the
pot. The pull the water under the piece with the wire. You will
probably have to pull the water under a few times, then the pot will
slide around with ease and no distortion. Cutting as close to the
wheel head as you can will minimize the distortion. Once the pot is
sliding really well slide it onto a VERY wet bat. I actually use a
large plastic bat for this. The pots don't dry well on it, but after
two or three hours, I transfer them to a wooden bat. You can slide the
pots onto a wooden bat too, but they tend to be a bit rough from
(mis)use. If you have a smooth one, use it.

Of course, throwing on the hump almost necessitates lifting. But I
only do that with very small bowls and cups.

Mark.

Old August 9th 05, 11:02 PM
Lori

Marianne,

When you wire off the pot, mark the side that the wire came out with
your finger (on the wet wheel-head).

Make sure your hands are dry and when you lift the pot from the
wheel-head, start your lift from where the wire exited under the pot
(the side you marked the X on) using your best Vulcan form.

In other words, if you've pulled the wire TOWARDS you, made an X or
some other mark (on the wheelhead) on the side the pot exited from
(closest to you), start to lift the pot AWAY from you.

If you pull the wire under your pot AWAY from you, you'll start your
lift TOWARDS you.

One - maybe two passes with the wire is sufficient - no need for a lot
of water to make more of a mess. If your pot smushes a little bit, let
it start to dry slightly before trying to 'fix' it - otherwise it might
smush more than you had intended...... That would be a bad thing. (

Take care - keeping good thoughts!

Lori

Oh - the reason for the mark on the wheel-head? That's in case you
somehow end up like me from time to time (in "Doofus Mode") and the
wheel-head gets turned. You can always find the exit side with your
mark on the wheel-head.....

I do find myself in "Doofus Mode" more often than I care to admit, so
it's best if I wire my pots from pinhole to pinhole - that way I have
at least a 50/50 chance of finding the exit side.....