Gusset at jeans hem

Old October 16th 03, 02:40 PM
Marilyn Krzus

Default Gusset at jeans hem

Help! I sew really cute jeans in PEOPLE magazine's fashion section:
there was a zipper at the hemline rising perpendicular to the hem
itself. If the zipper was unzipped (and the pull tab was at the top
of the zipper, away from the hem end), the leg of the jeans flared due
to a gusset being added. Can anyone give me some instruction on how
to (1) add the zipper to a jeans leg and (2) how to add the gusset?
Thank you. Marilyn
Old October 16th 03, 03:22 PM
Sew-Sew Lady

I like this idea! I wonder just how well the pants leg will flare, so I
plan to try this with a simple jeans pattern of my daughter's. I will make
them from medium weight twill, and add an inverted pleat from one of her
skirt patterns, putting a zipper in the basted seam. This sounds like
something she would really like if it works, because she can't wear flared
pants to school, so she could get more wear from a pair of pants like this.
Thanks for posting this! I do hope it will work!

om...

Old October 17th 03, 03:43 AM
CW

The flare will work fine. My mother used to make them for me when I was in
high school. Didn't put in the zipper though.

. ..

Old November 4th 03, 08:04 PM
Marilyn Krzus

Ooo--inverted pleat? Now that makes sense! Maybe I'll try that
method, too. Let me know how yours works out. (I'm a bit of a
chicken when it comes to trying new things on my own without a
pattern.)
Old November 5th 03, 12:20 AM

Marilyn Krzus wrote:

Ooo--inverted pleat? Now that makes sense! Maybe I'll try that
method, too. Let me know how yours works out. (I'm a bit of a
chicken when it comes to trying new things on my own without a
pattern.)

If it is any encouragement, the more you try it, the better it comes
out, so don't be bashful. It is always a learning process -- but
learning to wean yourself from being shackled to a sewing pattern is a
very valuable skill to have.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa