Roman Coins

Old September 17th 05, 05:23 PM
Lisa C

If you follow the link butterfly gave you to the picture
http://www.quilterscache.com/images1...ineseCoins.JPG
there are unpieced fabric strips (the beige) in-between pieced strips (the
stripes).

I'm gonna guess that the 2 1/2 inch strips are the ones that will be sewn on
site (mixed with other folks strips) into a big stripy fabric 90 inches long
(a strip set). THAT fabric, the one made of everyone's strips, will then be
cut into widths to go in-between the unpieced strips you brought.

If the group is planning on sharing the unpieced strips and mixing them
among the quilts, then you may have a problem with your design choice. But
if, as I suspect, your fabric is going into a single quilt (with the
exception of the donated strips for the strip set) then certainly you could
make a quilt with different width 'spacers' and call it a design choice.
JUST DON'T trim the wider one (that would make your top 2 inches less wide
than the others from the group).

"frood" wrote in message
m...
ACK! Ok the instructions call for cutting a 90" piece of fabric (2 1/2
yards) lengthwise into strips as follows:
5 strips 6 1/2" wide
3 strips 2 1/2" wide

The instructions do not say how these strips are to be used, but (and
here's where the ACK! comes in) -- I accidentally cut 1 of the strips at 5
1/2" (and one at 7 1/2", but that one could be trimmed to the right size).
I mean, doncha just hate when that happens????? I"m hoping the 5 wider
strips will be the vertical strips, therefore I could put the too-narrow
one in the middle, and call it a "design choice". But then, where does
that leave the 3 strips that are 2 1/2" ?

I'm kicking myself here. If this was a quilt for me, I'd just go with it
and make do. But for one to be given away, I'd like to do my best. ACK!

--

Cap'n Grainne O'Malley o' the Drunken Tongue (but sober whilst wielding me
trusty cutter!)

"frood" wrote in message
m...
Two coins walk into a Roman bar.... errr, I mean... My guild is hosting a
workshop this weekend to make quilts for the 400-some people relocated
(temporarily or permanently) due to Katrina. One of the sections in the
workshop is making Roman Coin quilts. We've been instructed to cut strips
to be sewn together on site. I've never made this design before, and
although I did google up some images, I'm still at a loss as to what
happens next. I've never strip-pieced a quilt before.

I'm assuming I'll take my strips in sets of 2, sew those; press, then
either add another strip, or join strip sets together. Right? I've tried
to choose a variety of values to coordinate with my focus print - will I
be able to organize the strips into a pleasing arrangement? or is it
more, just don't put 2 the same next to each other?

Any advice on this method or quilt design appreciated.

--
Capn Grainne O'Malley the Drunken Tongue
Talk Like a Pirate Day, Sept. 19, 2005

Old September 17th 05, 05:26 PM
Pat in Virginia

Oh, I LOVE puzzles like this!! Here is my guess.
The three narrow strips are the vertical sashes. Four wider
strips are the outer borders. That leaves one over. You know my
snail addy.
PAT

Old September 17th 05, 07:05 PM
Roberta Zollner

So tell us more about the broken foot -does she expect room service? Does
this mean 6 weeks of forced hospitality until it heals? I just hate it when
anything interferes with your quilting.
Roberta in D

" Ellison" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Howdy!
I've been making these all week,
every time I get a chance to sit at the sewing machine
Strip piecing has saved my sanity (at least I think so bwah-ha-ha-ha!)
and helped clear a big space in a scrap bag.
No advice; just wanted to chime in on the coincidence.

Ragmop/Sandy--quick trip to quilt shop for template plastic
saved me, yesterday, from screeching from the rooftop
(rooftop is waaaaay up there!) after 2 hectic weeks (so far)
w/ s-i-l & her broken foot living here

Old September 17th 05, 11:44 PM
frood

Turns out, the instructions were supposed to read 2 -- 3 1/2" strips, NOT 3
2 1/2" strips! They are for the top and bottom border.

I spent the day cutting squares for rag quilts, and subcutting blocks from
strip sets for other folks. Then, after 2 o'clock, I helped a new quilter
layout her blocks in a pleasing design. She had mis-understood the strip
piecing instructions for the Rail Fence she was working on, and had several
different varieties of strip sets. I told her it was a Design Choice, and we
could just go from there. I enjoy a challenge. ;-)

So, anyway, my Roman Coin didn't get sewn, but it will! Design Choices and
all.

Old September 19th 05, 12:58 AM
Mystified One

Oddly enough, I was surprised to see this portrayed as a Roman Coin or
Chinese Coin, because I'm used to visualizing the stacked "coins" from the
stripes.

http://www.dotcollinsquilter.com/Workshop6.htm

I do like it, but now we have to accept that there's two patterns for one
name, or two names for one pattern, or something like that. Oh, now I'm
confused again!

:
: I'm assuming I'll take my strips in sets of 2, sew those; press, then
either
: add another strip, or join strip sets together. Right? I've tried to
choose
: a variety of values to coordinate with my focus print - will I be able to
: organize the strips into a pleasing arrangement? or is it more, just don't
: put 2 the same next to each other?
:
: Any advice on this method or quilt design appreciated.
:
: --
: http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm

Old September 19th 05, 03:41 AM
nzlstar*

i saw a neat coin pattern on simply quilts this past week.
dont recall the name of it tho. was from 2004 yr series fwiw.
cant even recall the name of the quilter.
there were rows of coins with strips of greek key-ish design in between.
coins were alternating 9" and 4.5".
looked easy enough for even me to do. ok, that might be a stretch.
maybe with some scraps if i can figure out what design to make my trip
quilt.
still got all those stars that need a design to make their home. hmmmm.
i'm thinking attic window using the purple fabric and the other edge a diff
colour to match each star.
then the multi-colour'd fabric as sashing so it looks like window panes in a
big window.
leastways i think thats what i mean.
hmmmm too busy? maybe if i reverse the purple and multicolour fabs
positions?
decisions decisions...

i need a nap today. darn cat woke me last night about 3:30am when she jumped
down off the deck onto the roof of the van parked there, thump.
woke me up and before i could get back to sleep i hear her tiniest wee meow
at the front door to come in.
the first wee meow i wasnt sure i really heard what i thot i'd heard.
then another wee meow the tiniest bit louder and i knew.
up i got and down the stairs to let her in.
she runs to top of stairs, waits for me to get up there, picked her up, she
immediately starts purring.
took her into the bedroom, put her on her most recent sleeping perch and she
just stood there.
so i patted the bed and clicked my fingers and she was on the bed in a shot,
settling after about 5 mins of rounding, kneading, purring right between dh
and i as close as she could get to the pillow.
you'd of thot it was the dead of winter, must of been a wee bit too cold out
there for her highness at her advanced yrs, lol. all 14.5 of them.
so a nap for me this arvo i think.
oh yeah, the where was i?
coins and attic windows, yep, doing some more research on those windows
today.
tho could as easily sketch it up in EQ. if i could get my brain to function
a bit better.
zzzzzzzz
jeanne

--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"frood" wrote...

Old October 9th 05, 05:55 PM
DrQuilter

you know, being a scientist and all you'd think I would be clever(er)
but until reading this thread I did not understand that this pattern
depicted a pile of regular, round coins seen from the side.. I assumed
the chinese had rectangular coins.. now, I've seen roman coins and I
know they were a flat cylinder, so the new to me name made me had an
eureka moment...

sorry for sharing my crazy thoughts - now I'll go back to my current
project - roman shades for our bedroom... (does it matter you think if
they came out an inch narrower than the frame? or should I call it a
design feature? It will only be 1/2 inch on each side, after all...

frood wrote:

[...]

(take the dog out for a walk)
Old October 10th 05, 02:00 AM
Pat in Virginia

M: Of COURSE you planned that 1/2" on each side so the shades
will clear the frame smoothly. Did you make a quilt to match the
shades?
PAT in VA/USA

...cut...

Old October 10th 05, 03:08 PM

In article ,
DrQuilter wrote:
you know, being a scientist and all you'd think I would be clever(er)
but until reading this thread I did not understand that this pattern
depicted a pile of regular, round coins seen from the side.. I assumed
the chinese had rectangular coins.. now, I've seen roman coins and I
know they were a flat cylinder, so the new to me name made me had an
eureka moment...

I had assumed that somebody had confused the several Roman Stripe
patterns with the Chinese Coins pattern, which is what I'd always seen
this design called.

Old Chinese coins are round, but have a square hole in the center,
which was used to tie them on a cord. You sometimes see references to
"strings of cash" in old books. They weren't threaded like beads, but
tied in a sort of lashing or macrame fashion. However, you can imagine
a 19th century American quilt maker seeing some of these coins and
thinking they were stacked on sticks or some such, giving the horizontal
stripe pattern.

I've seen Roman Stripe used to refer to a Rail Fence pattern with the
stripes in a block arranged to give a basket weave rather than diagonal
rail fence appearance, but mostly for a HST block with one half solid
and the other with diagonal stripes.

Most blocks have multiple names, and far too many names are applied to
several different blocks. It's interesting from a historical point of
view, but it can be a real hindrance to communication!

sorry for sharing my crazy thoughts - now I'll go back to my current
project - roman shades for our bedroom... (does it matter you think if
they came out an inch narrower than the frame? or should I call it a
design feature? It will only be 1/2 inch on each side, after all...

It's a design feature. They will be better that way -- they won't bash
against the frame as much when you raise and lower them, nor when the
wind is blowing!
Old October 10th 05, 04:50 PM
Roberta Zollner

Chinese coins used to have square holes in the middle so they could be
strung on a cord, a way to keep them counted out in tidy bundles I guess.
And IIRC a string of coins was referred to as "cash" in pidgin.
Roberta in D

frood wrote:

[...]

[ADVERT] Roman Bracelet in the Shape of a Snake Phoenix Ancient Art Jewelry 0 March 10th 05 06:54 AM
Instructions for sewing Roman shades? TT Sewing 4 July 17th 04 08:40 AM
Roman glass for jewelry roxan Beads 8 March 25th 04 06:29 PM
Mounting Ancient Coins dwelsh46 Jewelry 3 January 2nd 04 04:07 PM
Drilling Coins Mj Beads 18 August 27th 03 07:12 AM