Roman Coins

Old September 16th 05, 05:36 PM
frood

Default Roman Coins

Two coins walk into a Roman bar.... errr, I mean... My guild is hosting a
workshop this weekend to make quilts for the 400-some people relocated
(temporarily or permanently) due to Katrina. One of the sections in the
workshop is making Roman Coin quilts. We've been instructed to cut strips to
be sewn together on site. I've never made this design before, and although I
did google up some images, I'm still at a loss as to what happens next. I've
never strip-pieced a quilt before.

I'm assuming I'll take my strips in sets of 2, sew those; press, then either
add another strip, or join strip sets together. Right? I've tried to choose
a variety of values to coordinate with my focus print - will I be able to
organize the strips into a pleasing arrangement? or is it more, just don't
put 2 the same next to each other?

Any advice on this method or quilt design appreciated.

--
Capn Grainne O'Malley the Drunken Tongue
Talk Like a Pirate Day, Sept. 19, 2005

Old September 16th 05, 06:12 PM
Kathy Applebaum

I, too, googled some images, and here's my guess. (A bit more info on the
directions you were given would help. *grin*)

I'll assume you're sewing several pairs of strips together. Then you'll
press them, and I'm guessing that when you get there, you'll cut pieces to
size and swap with your neighbors for more variety. Then you'll sew pairs
together to make a long strip of rectangles.

I'll have to keep that pattern in mind for our guild's community service
quilts. Looks like it would be quick way to use up some scraps. I always
like to keep a bit of brainless sewing on hand for those days that call for
it.
--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

m...

Old September 16th 05, 06:23 PM
Mystified One

You could sew whole strip sets and then slice those into the coins. It's
far easier to work with strips of fabric the whole length, sew into several
strip sets (so you have a nice chunk of stipe the width of fabric) and then
slice that chunk into slices. i.e. cut your strips into 1 1/2 inch strips,
sew together, and then cut those into 3-inches the opposite way. Something
like that.

m...
:
: I'm assuming I'll take my strips in sets of 2, sew those; press, then
either
: add another strip, or join strip sets together. Right? I've tried to
choose
: a variety of values to coordinate with my focus print - will I be able to
: organize the strips into a pleasing arrangement? or is it more, just don't
: put 2 the same next to each other?
:
: Any advice on this method or quilt design appreciated.
:
: --
: http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm

Old September 16th 05, 07:33 PM
Butterfly

I'm making this---only it's called Chinese Coins:
http://www.quilterscache.com/A_C/ChineseCoinsBlock.html

Once again it's a pattern that goes by different names.
It's quite easy to do:
1; cut your strips the same width size mine is 5" (my length varies from 1"
to 5" if it has a specific design that I didn't want to chop up : )
2; grab whatever comes out next from the 'grocery bag' or wherever you
have your fabrics (started with a clear plastic shoebox and now have enuf
to fill a larger one). Fun part is it all goes together very nicely
3; and then it is sewn to a long strip of fabric where you can show off a
bit of quilting. NO matching seams on either side EASY PEASY : )
HTH

Butterfly

m...

Old September 17th 05, 01:18 AM
Cheryl

You could search on names like "Chinese coins" or "stacked coins" as well -
it's a good quickie-quilt and a great group project for non-quilters. We
did it at the Embroiderers' Guild for a charity quilt project one week.

--
Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
Enness Boofhead Donut
m...

Old September 17th 05, 02:29 AM
frood

ACK! Ok the instructions call for cutting a 90" piece of fabric (2 1/2
yards) lengthwise into strips as follows:
5 strips 6 1/2" wide
3 strips 2 1/2" wide

The instructions do not say how these strips are to be used, but (and here's
where the ACK! comes in) -- I accidentally cut 1 of the strips at 5 1/2"
(and one at 7 1/2", but that one could be trimmed to the right size). I
mean, doncha just hate when that happens????? I"m hoping the 5 wider strips
will be the vertical strips, therefore I could put the too-narrow one in the
middle, and call it a "design choice". But then, where does that leave the 3
strips that are 2 1/2" ?

I'm kicking myself here. If this was a quilt for me, I'd just go with it and
make do. But for one to be given away, I'd like to do my best. ACK!

--

Cap'n Grainne O'Malley o' the Drunken Tongue (but sober whilst wielding me
trusty cutter!)

m...

Old September 17th 05, 03:24 AM
Taria

I think it is all the wine and spirits you have been hitting
to keep the pirate feel going. BG

I feel your pain Wendy. It is really maddening to cut a bunch of
fabric wrong sizes. I have one ruler that seems to get me measuring
1/2" off too often. Argggghhh.
Taria

Old September 17th 05, 03:28 AM
Mary in Washington

That is a beauty Butterfly. Can't wait to see the quilt.

Mary

http://community.webshots.com/user/moondancewa
IN THE COOKIES OF LIFE, FRIENDS ARE THE CHOCOLATE CHIPS.

Old September 17th 05, 03:40 AM
Butterfly

Will be quite awhile before it's done as it is my 'between stuff'
project...no big rush to get it done.

Butterfly

oups.com...

Old September 17th 05, 04:01 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
I've been making these all week,
every time I get a chance to sit at the sewing machine
Strip piecing has saved my sanity (at least I think so bwah-ha-ha-ha!)
and helped clear a big space in a scrap bag.
No advice; just wanted to chime in on the coincidence.

Ragmop/Sandy--quick trip to quilt shop for template plastic
saved me, yesterday, from screeching from the rooftop
(rooftop is waaaaay up there!) after 2 hectic weeks (so far)
w/ s-i-l & her broken foot living here

"frood" wrote in message
m...
[...]

[ADVERT] Roman Bracelet in the Shape of a Snake Phoenix Ancient Art Jewelry 0 March 10th 05 06:54 AM
Instructions for sewing Roman shades? TT Sewing 4 July 17th 04 08:40 AM
Roman glass for jewelry roxan Beads 8 March 25th 04 06:29 PM
Mounting Ancient Coins dwelsh46 Jewelry 3 January 2nd 04 04:07 PM
Drilling Coins Mj Beads 18 August 27th 03 07:12 AM