Patience & Quilting

Old November 5th 10, 02:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Default Patience & Quilting

I've figured something out. I have lots of patience with sewing and
quilting. I've handquilted
lots of quilts. Even kingsized and enjoyed every second of it.

But I tried to long-arm a 60x60 quilt and was ready to pull my hair
out. It took four hours.
First I loaded it wrong. Twice. Then the tension wasn't right and that
took forever to fix.

I was ready to yank the whole thing off and throw it out in the yard
and have a complete
meltdown. I just don't have patience with *machinery* I guess.

Anyway, hats off to all you long-armers and machine quilters out
there. I really respect
you more than ever now.

Sherry
Old November 5th 10, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

BECAUSE !
A couple of years ago I sent a long armer a scrappy inaccurate HST
quilt. It was a challenge to say the least. I don't even know what the
difference may have been between the lengths and widths - but I trusted her
to do magic.
Somewhere in the middle, her tensions and bobbins and goblins went Wild
and she had to unstitch for hours ... or days.
The quilt top wasn't worth it. Its value was barely nothing.
But: unstitch she did.
The long shot of this is - When our granddaughter unwrapped the scrappy
HST quilt that our so very special Louise had stitched, unstitched and
covered in her magic - Everybody at the shower held their breath and then
said, " Ahhhh" .
Sometimes, dear Sherry, we must walk away and come back another day. A
quilt says 'love'. Sometimes, it takes much longer. Polly

Old November 5th 10, 05:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Hey Sherry

You made my day. I sat here and laughed. Not at your situation of
course, but mine a couple years ago. I too pulled my hair out trying
to learn how to machine quilt. There are days when nothing goes right
so I quit for a couple days, then sit down and think about what
happened and try to figure out how to fix it.

The local women's shelter and the local SPCA get my practice pieces.
I make bath mats and doggy mats with my experimenting. I even kept a
couple bath mats for myself. I tried to learn how to do feathers.
They looked like adam's apples on a stick.But with patience and lots
of practice I am doing better. Nothing show worthy, but the pups at
the shelter go nuts for my projects. Don't get in a hurry trying to
quilt your beautiul quilt tops right away, get some fabric you won't
use in a quilt or even a cheater fabric and practice on that. It took
a while to learn how to drive your car didn't it, well look at machine
quilting the same as learning how to drive. With practice you will get
better. Just keep plugging away and you'll get the hang of it.

Kate T. South Mississippi
Old November 5th 10, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita L. in MA[_2_]

Sherry wrote:

But I tried to long-arm a 60x60 quilt and was ready to pull my hair
out. It took four hours.
First I loaded it wrong. Twice. Then the tension wasn't right and that
took forever to fix.

I was ready to yank the whole thing off and throw it out in the yard
and have a complete
meltdown. I just don't have patience with *machinery* I guess.

Oh, Sherry! Nobody was born knowing how to load a quilt on a longarm.
Nobody will die, or even suffer (much) if your tension is not perfect.

I agree with the advice of Polly and Kate. Walk away and come at it
another day.

Rita

--
Rita L. in MA One Eyed Mutant Ninja Quilter :-)
Old November 5th 10, 05:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

Oh, Polly, I still shudder when I remember rolling that quilt up and seeing the mess on the back! The biggest
problem was that the needle had a burr on it, and as it went through the backing fabric, it caught on the
fabric, created a snag, and pulled threads. It truly was awful!

Most of you remember Polly's one-eared mice quilt - well, this was the one! She had put the one-eared mice all
around three sides of it, and it was so cute. When I told her what had happened and what a mess it was on the
back side, Polly told me not to worry about it! We'd just tell everyone the mice had done it! Bless her heart!
It was tempting and would have made for a great story, but I did unstitch anyway.

Thanks for the memory -- I think!
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old November 5th 10, 09:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna in Idaho[_2_]

Kate - I love your description - adam's apple on a stick. Made me LOL!

Donna in IDaho

"Kate T." wrote in message

I tried to learn how to do feathers.
They looked like adam's apples on a stick.But with patience and lots
of practice I am doing better. Nothing show worthy, but the pups at
the shelter go nuts for my projects. Don't get in a hurry trying to
quilt your beautiul quilt tops right away, get some fabric you won't
use in a quilt or even a cheater fabric and practice on that. It took
a while to learn how to drive your car didn't it, well look at machine
quilting the same as learning how to drive. With practice you will get
better. Just keep plugging away and you'll get the hang of it.

Kate T. South Mississippi

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5595 (20101105) __________

http://www.eset.com

Is patience required? Jennifer in Ottawa Quilting 41 October 4th 09 07:12 AM
Silk fabric & quilting mao Quilting 6 June 4th 07 09:44 PM
eBay & quilting C&S Quilting 6 July 9th 06 04:53 PM
OT. Patience rewarded Shirley Shone Beads 18 April 30th 04 12:42 AM
Waaay OT. Playing cards and games of patience. F.James Cripwell Needlework 2 March 16th 04 02:17 AM