A new/old machine for me.

Old October 30th 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default A new/old machine for me.

Here is what I found this AM when I passed by the small Singer shop in
the next town over. I stopped in to see about Featherweight parts, and
asked if he had any used Older Singer machines. He had a bunch of
really nice older machines. One of them was a Singer Model 404 Slant
Needle straight stitch machine. Built 1958. When I sat down in front
of it and started to sew on some scrap cloth he had available, I new
that this machine was one that had my name on it. That is providing
that my name was Singer. That aside, this machine is so sweet, that I
had to take it home. The price with 5 bobbins and a pkg of new Singer
needles, $79. The machine looks like it has been used very little.
Virtually no dings or scratches. It had been serviced and was crying
to me, to go for a ride home in my truck, with me. So I took it out to
the truck, and noticed the quizicle on my wife's face as I approached
the truck. Thankfully, she is an understanding person, and willing to
indulge my excesses. Now I have to build a folding card table to house
it, like the ones that the Singer company used to sell. So here this
bad girl is. Gear Driven and raring to go. If you have any input about
this beautiful machine, feel free to let me know what you could. I did
spend the first part of the day, downloading a 60 page manual and
parts list. I am a happy camper.
John

The Machine: http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...07423087671138
Wide View: http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...07435199227778
Old October 30th 10, 08:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Congratulations on the new-to-you machine! I am convinced that
sometimes fate plays a very large part in these things. I have a 99K
that is simply wonderful, and it just "happened" one day when I was in
a local quilt shop. A man in his 70's came in with the machine, and
wanted to leave the machine there to be sold to a quilter. It seems
that his wife had died, and had no relatives to use it, so the man
wanted it to go to someone who loved quilting like his wife had loved
it. The shop owner declined to accept it, so I followed him out of
the shop, told him I was interested, and asked what price he wanted
for the machine. Rather than tell me a price, he wanted to know how
many quilts I had made and what kind. So we chatted a bit, and he
asked me where my car was so he could put it in for me. He refused to
take any money, saying that he knew I would take care of the machine
his dear wife had loved and used so many years. Tears came to my
eyes, and to his, too, and I think of him every time I get that
wonderful old machine out to use.
Old October 30th 10, 08:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Wonderful machine you found John. I think the 404's
are often in good condition because they were a SS machine when the era was
turning to ZZ ones. If all you
need is a SS it is imo as good a machine as the beloved 401 models were. I
have had a few here over the years. Those old ss machines really are gems.
The slant is supposed to give a better visual. I don't know but they sew
well. I have a 301 and a FW table here but if I remember right the 400's
table is a tad bigger. They had the tan color too. Irene would probably be
the expert here. I think you will enjoy that machine. I am glad it found
a good home.
Taria

Old October 30th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

Congratulations on your VERY nice Singer 404; it's in wonderful
condition. As you know it's a straight-stitch only shank shank
machine.

They are wonderful, strong stitchers. It does have the funny
'elevator' throat plate that you raise up to free motion with instead
of lowering or covering the feed.

The only other you will have a problem is with is finding a walking
foot for it. Since it is a slant, and it also has the narrow feed (as
opposed to the zig zag models such as the 401 which has the wider feed
teeth), it's impossible to find a walking foot that 'matches' the feed
teeth on the 404 machines. Believe me I know as I've been collecting
machines for over 10 years, have three 404s, and this has been a
repeating topic of discussion on all of the Yahoo Singer or vintage
sewing machine groups!.

Enjoy your new machine!

-Irene

Old October 30th 10, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

wrote:
[...]

The Machine: *http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...53390742308767...
Wide View: *http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...53390743519922...

Irene, You seem to be the go to person on these machines. I would like
to pick up a couple of other feet for this machine. Not a walking foot
as I knew they were hens teeth. Maybe a zipper foot, bias foot other
things like that. Not that I will use any but the standard foot. But
it is nice to have an assortment of things to play with. The question
is, where is the best place to buy these sorts of things? If you don't
mind giving up the names of supply sources of hard to find items like
404 accessories and parts.
John
Old October 30th 10, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita L. in MA[_2_]

John wrote:
Here is what I found this AM when I passed by the small Singer shop in
the next town over. I stopped in to see about Featherweight parts, and
asked if he had any used Older Singer machines. He had a bunch of
really nice older machines. One of them was a Singer Model 404 Slant
Needle straight stitch machine. Built 1958.

Very pretty! It looks to be in better shape than the 401A that I scored
a few years ago. My husband did get it running in perfect order though,
and it is a very sweet machine. I hope that your new baby is as
wonderful for you.

Rita

--
Rita L. in MA One Eyed Mutant Ninja Quilter :-)

Old October 30th 10, 11:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Not Irene but here is a picture of what the original box
and a couple attachments look like:
Ebay #200535431626
Taria

Old October 30th 10, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:32:18 -0700 (PDT), John
wrote:

Irene, You seem to be the go to person on these machines. I would like
to pick up a couple of other feet for this machine. Not a walking foot
as I knew they were hens teeth. Maybe a zipper foot, bias foot other
things like that. Not that I will use any but the standard foot. But
it is nice to have an assortment of things to play with. The question
is, where is the best place to buy these sorts of things? If you don't
mind giving up the names of supply sources of hard to find items like
404 accessories and parts.
John

John,

Slant shank feet are still available new; you can google for them.
Here's one:
http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/parts.html

Being cursed with OCD, I like to have 'original' accessories whenever
possible. There are a few on-line suppliers of vintage SM accessories
but most ask outrageous prices. The most reliable place to find this
stuff is eBay; there are a couple of 404 attachment boxes listed
now... although I've also found sets at yard sales, thrift shops, etc.

The 400 and 500 slant series are great machines. They are all
gear-driven (no belts) and really have a nice feel to them.

-Irene

Old sewing machine question .. EMDEKO machine NE Sailboat Sewing 1 January 18th 07 06:39 PM
janome machine tension control broken + quilting machine suggestions Frank & Renee Quilting 1 May 22nd 05 09:49 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Marketplace 0 December 14th 03 05:52 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Quilting 0 December 14th 03 05:52 PM
Sewingtrader Ebay auctions - Machine Embroidery and Machine Knititng items. DS Sewing 3 July 25th 03 05:17 PM