OT - Wide Printer?

Old October 29th 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

Default OT - Wide Printer?

I already mentioned this in the "A truly horrifying idea" thread, but it
was not very visible there. I'm thinking of getting a wider printer for
PP'ing, so that I don't have to tape sheets of paper together for larger
patterns. That is, something that prints at least 11" wide, rather than
8.5".

Does anyone (other than Sandy, who already gave one suggestion) have any
recommendations?

Thanks,
--
Bev in TX
Old October 29th 10, 04:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I confess I change printers more often that I change calendars; they just
don't live very long around here and it's certainly not from heavy work or
mistreatment. However . . . on this journey, why don't you check with UPS
and Staples and whoever and see what they charge for copies larger than 8.5
wide? It's not like you're going to be needing large paper every Tuesday .
.. . and maybe, maybe, the copy shop could attain an accuracy that maybe you
couldn't without a whole lot of testing. Just a thought. Polly

Old October 29th 10, 07:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone[_2_]

In message , Bev in TX
writes
I already mentioned this in the "A truly horrifying idea" thread, but
it was not very visible there. I'm thinking of getting a wider printer
for PP'ing, so that I don't have to tape sheets of paper together for
larger patterns. That is, something that prints at least 11" wide,
rather than 8.5".

Does anyone (other than Sandy, who already gave one suggestion) have
any recommendations?

Thanks,

My sons bought me a Brother DCP6690Cw printer scanner for Christmas last
year. It prints A3 size as well as A4. Enlarges from A4 to A3. Also can
put camera memory cards in to print photographs off.
Not used that function yet.
I find it very useful for my family history.
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

www.allcrafts.org.uk

Old October 29th 10, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

May I ask what brand(s) of printer had the problems? My DH had a lot of
problems with Epson printers recently. He also tried an HP Office Jet,
that was mostly DOA. He liked the 2-sided printing on the HP, so he
hated returning it (I read a lot of bad things about that machine after
he purchased it).

I need a new printer as the one I currently have is very old and has few
options on it. I'm finding difficulties with drivers for a non-Windows
OS. I have not options what-so-ever -- not even whether I want to print
in draft mode. Since ink is the major printer cost, I figure that it is
more cost effective to purchase a new printer than to stay with the old one.

Regarding using a copy shop, I live far from a copy center, so I would
have to factor in fuel/car costs as well as travel time (1.5 hours just
for the round trip). It can be inconvenient to be in the middle of a
project and unable to continue because I messed up my last PP printout
(and I don't like having to draw them by hand!). I generally print my
designs via software or PDF files, so accuracy is not an issue.

I've worked on quite a few projects on which I had to tape sheets of
paper together, so I am certain that a wide printer would be useful for
other activities in the future.

--
Bev in TX

Old October 29th 10, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I have no idea. Usually I am a careful shopper; buy the best, take care of
it and keep whatever forever. Except: printers. I wish I could help you
choose a fine printer; I've just never met one. Polly

"Bev in TX" wrote, in part May I ask what brand(s) of printer had the
problems?

Old October 29th 10, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Bev I really miss the HP wide format printer I used to have.
Currently I have an Epson 3-in-one color jet and a Brother duplex
laser jet hooked up to my computer. I am not happy with the Epson but
it sometimes works. Biggest problem is that the print heads tend to
clog if you don't print in color a lot. sigh. With the HPs I don't
have that problem because the print heads are part of the cartridge
(???) or that is what I have been told. Cleaning the heads on the
Epson runs through a lot of ink fast, with no guarantee of success.

However, do not put anything on the paper feed tray of your printer,
except paper. Having a necklace chain try to go through really messes
up the feed rollers! Not to mention ruining the chain. sigh.

Have fun,
Pati, in Phx

Old October 29th 10, 10:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

The HP wide-format Model 5100TN Laserjet Printer or the HP HP
Photosmart 8750 Large-Format Professional Photo Printer.

-Irene

Old October 30th 10, 05:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

Thanks Irene, I'll be sure to investigate those.
--
Bev in TX

need printer advice Lobo Quilting 7 March 28th 10 09:46 PM
OT - laser printer question Queen of Squishies Quilting 25 November 12th 05 02:11 PM
Applique' theads and Printer Christina in Ok Quilting 9 October 6th 05 02:32 PM
Graph paper printer Wooly Yarn 4 March 24th 05 12:31 PM
Printer Ink OT Eveningrosequilt Quilting 0 August 29th 03 02:01 AM