A truly horrifying idea

Old October 27th 10, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default A truly horrifying idea

Here is what happens when a random though comes to fruition. The
thought was: What if you took the Log Cabin pattern and set it on
point with 60 Degree points. I think I would loose my mind sewing a
bed sized quilt in this manner. Then again, maybe I have lost my mind,
just coming up with this concept in the first place. I would like some
input as to whether this is something that you have attempted or would
attempt, or if this is just another of my random examples of to much
time and to little brains. The two pics show the setting in solo and
the second one is shown for reference with the traditional Log Cabin
setting. My wife said it gave her a feeling of Vertigo just looking at
it. Not sure if that is a reaction to the colors, which were chosen at
random from a pile, and not chosen for ideal relationship to color
value. Give me some thoughts here if you have seen or attempted to do
this sort of thing and how long did it take you for the therapy to
restore some sanity back into your life.
John
The culprit: http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...31457419470674
The culprit and sane friend:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...31460958174210
Old October 27th 10, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Well, I for one rather like your "culprit"! I would never do it
myself, but do think it could be a really interesting quilt.
Old October 27th 10, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

On Oct 27, 10:39*pm, Mary wrote:
Well, I for one rather like your "culprit"! *I would never do it
myself, but do think it could be a really interesting quilt.

Frankly, I think I prefer the "culprit"; it looks like it was meant to
be. Somehow scrappy log cabin doesn't speak to me, though I have seen
some colour-value jobbies that were mind-blowing. Some of them also
said, these people need to get a life, but that's another matter!

I say, go for it, it could be fun...

Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Old October 27th 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 27/10/2010 22:08, John wrote:
[...]

I love the 60 degree log cabin block. Sashed like that they should look
fantastic.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old October 27th 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Oct 27, 5:08*pm, John wrote:
[...]
The culprit: *http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...rGoAnywhere#55...
The culprit and sane friend:http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...rGoAnywhere#55...

You all are a bunch of enablers! I really am not sure if I could stand
the stress of matching all those bias points. It is like Knit one,
Pearl 2, or in this case sew one, rip 2. At least until you got your
rhythm on.
John
Old October 27th 10, 11:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
J*[_5_]

paper piece'em.
60 degree points make diamonds, 3 make a baby block design.
have seen the diamonds done in log cabin layout.
google is your friend.
sorry, i got too many tabs open now to even look at your designs atm.
will check them out later. just tossing in my 2 centavos.
j.

"John" wrote ...

Old October 28th 10, 12:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Uh, I read about Log Cabin Stars long before I ever saw one.

I thought it was a spiffy notion so I pieced the diamonds for a broken
star as if each diamond were a log cabin block, just sort of stretched
out to make a proper star diamond. I mean hey, it was logical. I had
seen stars like that done with either vertical or horizontal strips of
fabric, so it wasn't a great leap to turn that notion into a log cabin
star.

Later I tried it with a six pointed star. I nearly lost my last few
neurons on that project because I tried doing the whole top in 60 degree
diamonds. You can get a sort of a broken star theme going with that, if
you stay sane long enough to finish it.

NightMist
long lost to sanity

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:08:49 -0700, John wrote:

[...]
http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor33/

IdeasThatMayNeverGoAnywhere#5532831457419470674
The culprit and sane friend:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor33/

IdeasThatMayNeverGoAnywhere#5532831460958174210

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old October 28th 10, 12:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

You should check out Kaye Wood's website - she's been working with
this shape for years among others. jennellh

Old October 28th 10, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Oct 27, 5:08*pm, John wrote:
[...]

I know Baby Blocks or tumbling blocks, as I have done a couple of
them in full sized quilts. One was even a Hollow tumbling blocks,
which had even more 60 deg pieces inside them than the standard Baby
Blocks. Then after I got out of the Asylum, I swore I would never do
another one. But I seem to return for more punishment. They are very
demanding, and in a large project, can be overwhelming. On small wall
hangings, they can be manageable, but when you have to do 90 to a
hundred hollow blocks, that is a lot of bias point sewing, for even
the biggest fan. I am still mulling over whether I want to do this
again, but the next thing I am going to do is take a break from sewing
and make a Camel Back Chest. I got all of the hardware for doing one
from one of my supply sources, and now I am going to start tomorrow
building it. These are old time humped chests that sat at the foot of
the bed, but because they had this humped top you couldn't sit on them
to put on your shoes. It has an interior tray, and lots of brass
fittings at the corners and leather handles, for lifting. The sort of
thing that you would see on a covered wagon heading West, during the
1850's, filled with all the family's quilts, and other precious
keepsakes. That is what I am going to do with this one. Fill it full
of important family quilts. My Family's.
John
Old October 28th 10, 01:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bev in TX

Some of those are also in my near future, though mine are the more
traditional dark/light ones with yellow centers. I'm in the middle of
designing a quilt for my DH, and wondered what it would it would look
like with diamond, rather than square blocks. After he saw the
diamonds, there was no going back. I plan on PPing them. I will also
have some Drunkard Path diamond blocks. I haven't decided whether to
try piecing the curves (new to me) or appliqueing those yet. The design
is still in flux and colors are not final, but you can get a general
idea of what it will look like at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/countryo...85885492529906

Or use, http://tinyurl.com/3yycml9 , if the above does not work for you.

The blank blocks will contain wilderness related applique and/or machine
embroideries -- TBD. The border black fabric does not show up right in
the picture. It has wilderness pictures on it, such as log cabins,
bears and other forest creatures.

I think that I may buy a new, wider printer, so that I don't have to
tape the PP sheets together for the Log Cabin blocks (there are over 50
of them). I wanted a new one any way, as my current printer is very,
very slow and has limited options. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

--
Bev in TX

Here's An Idea Donna Needlework 1 November 5th 09 09:52 PM
need an idea! Anne Rogers[_2_] Quilting 10 April 10th 07 01:29 PM
I need an idea crna_ofca Beads 12 August 24th 05 06:52 PM
An *idea*... Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 0 October 14th 03 05:53 PM