A new/old machine for me.

Old October 30th 10, 11:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default A new/old machine for me.

I think my favorite is the 403. Not as fancy as the 401 but you can still
use the cams. Kind of the underdog.
I like the feel of the 400's better than the 500's myself.
I am with you on the original accessories. The hunt is
half the fun. Heck, if there were some of those 'pickers'
around I bet they could find a boxed set of attachments in my shed! : )
I don't think folks realize just how nice those old SS machines sew. They
are really cool.
Taria

Slant shank feet are still available new; you can google for them.
Here's one:
http://www.a1sewingmachine.com/parts.html

Being cursed with OCD, I like to have 'original' accessories whenever
possible. There are a few on-line suppliers of vintage SM accessories
but most ask outrageous prices. The most reliable place to find this
stuff is eBay; there are a couple of 404 attachment boxes listed
now... although I've also found sets at yard sales, thrift shops, etc.

The 400 and 500 slant series are great machines. They are all
gear-driven (no belts) and really have a nice feel to them.

-Irene

Old October 31st 10, 01:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nana.Wilson

Oh! Mary!! How wonderfully SWEET of him!! I also have tears .
Nana

"Mary" wrote in message
Congratulations on the new-to-you machine! I am convinced that
sometimes fate plays a very large part in these things. I have a 99K
that is simply wonderful, and it just "happened" one day when I was in
a local quilt shop. A man in his 70's came in with the machine, and
wanted to leave the machine there to be sold to a quilter. It seems
that his wife had died, and had no relatives to use it, so the man
wanted it to go to someone who loved quilting like his wife had loved
it. The shop owner declined to accept it, so I followed him out of
the shop, told him I was interested, and asked what price he wanted
for the machine. Rather than tell me a price, he wanted to know how
many quilts I had made and what kind. So we chatted a bit, and he
asked me where my car was so he could put it in for me. He refused to
take any money, saying that he knew I would take care of the machine
his dear wife had loved and used so many years. Tears came to my
eyes, and to his, too, and I think of him every time I get that
wonderful old machine out to use.

Old October 31st 10, 01:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nana.Wilson

Congrats John!! I guess the chest is on holdG

Nana

"John" wrote in message
Here is what I found this AM when I passed by the small Singer shop in
the next town over. I stopped in to see about Featherweight parts, and
asked if he had any used Older Singer machines. He had a bunch of
really nice older machines. One of them was a Singer Model 404 Slant
Needle straight stitch machine. Built 1958. When I sat down in front
of it and started to sew on some scrap cloth he had available, I new
that this machine was one that had my name on it. That is providing
that my name was Singer. That aside, this machine is so sweet, that I
had to take it home. The price with 5 bobbins and a pkg of new Singer
needles, $79. The machine looks like it has been used very little.
Virtually no dings or scratches. It had been serviced and was crying
to me, to go for a ride home in my truck, with me. So I took it out to
the truck, and noticed the quizicle on my wife's face as I approached
the truck. Thankfully, she is an understanding person, and willing to
indulge my excesses. Now I have to build a folding card table to house
it, like the ones that the Singer company used to sell. So here this
bad girl is. Gear Driven and raring to go. If you have any input about
this beautiful machine, feel free to let me know what you could. I did
spend the first part of the day, downloading a 60 page manual and
parts list. I am a happy camper.
John

The Machine:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...07423087671138
Wide View:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...07435199227778

Old October 31st 10, 01:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

"John" wrote in message

[...]

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...53390742308767...
Wide View:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...53390743519922...

Yes. I have been online all day looking for presser feet. I have found
a zig-zag attachment, Zipper foot, Ruffler attachment, Seam Guide,
Gathering foot, Hemmer foot. I think I am going to make a table for it
like the old folding leg card table types with the machine cutout,
that Singer used to sell for this, and other models. I am also tired
and broke, and I am going to bed and dream about Singer stuff. Nite
All
John
Old October 31st 10, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

What a pretty baby! you did the right thing. Can't wait to see the
table.
Roberta in D

Old November 1st 10, 12:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Oct 30, 2:54*pm, John wrote:
[...]

Very nice machine, John. Just picked up a Singer 99 - minus case but
in a small table - for a whopping $35 a couple of weeks ago. In VERY
nice condition as well. Have to download the manual for that one.
But....unless you are in a hurry, there is a shop in the Quakertown
(PA) farmers market that has old parts/feet stashed in every nook &
cranny. DH picked up a box of feet for my FW there a couple of years
ago for $5 for the entire BOX! If you are not in a hurry, I probably
have to be out there in the next couple of weeks and would be happy to
see if she has what you might be looking for if you give me a list of
part numbers and what you're looking to pay for them. Feel free to
contact me off list if you'd like at blackwell _ kim @ hotmail . com
(remove spaces) and we'll see about working something out if you're
interested.

Kim in NJ
Old November 1st 10, 03:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Nov 1, 8:21*am, AuntK wrote:
On Oct 30, 2:54*pm, John wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the offer. I have found a couple of items and when I get
them, I will know if they are going to be what I need. I really don't
think that I will use this machine much. It was just that I could not
help myself when I saw the price. It needed a good home, and I can use
a machine that is gear driven for those heavy sewing requirements on
the bags that I have been doing. I will let you know if I can think of
anything you might be able to find.
John

Old sewing machine question .. EMDEKO machine NE Sailboat Sewing 1 January 18th 07 06:39 PM
janome machine tension control broken + quilting machine suggestions Frank & Renee Quilting 1 May 22nd 05 09:49 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Marketplace 0 December 14th 03 05:52 PM
Slitting machine, Slitting, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Sheet Leveler, Section Leveler, Scalping Machine, Brush Machine, coiler, decoiler, recoiler, 4 Hi, 6 Hi, 4 High, 6 High, Rolling mill, Wire Flattening Mill, Polishing Machine, Rewinding korak Quilting 0 December 14th 03 05:52 PM
Sewingtrader Ebay auctions - Machine Embroidery and Machine Knititng items. DS Sewing 3 July 25th 03 05:17 PM