OT Tabouli Salad OT

Old July 15th 05, 08:44 PM
Kira Dirlik

I'd love to have the recipe for the pea soup with dumplings. Yum
Kira
Old July 15th 05, 09:52 PM
Katherine

Kira Dirlik wrote:
I'd love to have the recipe for the pea soup with dumplings. Yum
Kira

Here you go.

Pea Soup
1 package of split peas (green or yellow - I use yellow) or whole peas (this
is the French Canadian method)
1 bone left after you eat a ham (If you don't have this, you can purchase a
pork hock from the butcher or meat market)
salt meat (I don't use this, as I prefer the taste of ham. Also, I don't
cook with added salt, so my soup is usually not salty enough for other
people, but it is healthier. )
1 onion, sliced
2 stalks of celery, chopped into very small pieces. (I have to chop it into
small pieces because Keith hates chunks of celery, but you can cut into
bigger pieces if you wish.)
chopped carrot, turnip, and potato. You can also use parsnip if you wish,
but remember that this is a strong vegetable, so don't use much.
black pepper to taste
Worcestershire sauce (if desired. Keith doesn't like it, so I usually add it
to mine in the bowl)

Place the peas, ham bone, and onion in your soup pot and then fill the pot
about half full of water. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Keep this
boiling for a couple of hours, or until peas are softening. Add vegetables
as desired. Remember that this ends up being quite a thick soup, so you will
have to experiment with amounts until you reach the desired consistency. You
will need to add water throughout the day as well.
About 20 minutes before serving, make dumplings.

1 cup white flour
pinch of salt
2 tsp baking powder
water

Place dry ingredients in a bowl and stir together. Gradually add water until
a dough forms. Take care that this is neither too wet not too dry.
Experimentation will show you what works for you. Drop by spoonfuls on top
of the bubbling soup. You will need to make sure that the soup is boiling
rapidly before you add the dumplings. And give it a good stir before adding
the dumplings, as there can be a tendency for it to stick at this stage.
Cover the soup again. The dumplings will magically puff up and the inside
will be dry and fluffy when they are done. It should take about 10 minutes.
Again, experimentation will help with this.

Enjoy!

Katherine

Attached Images

7 layer salad.. Carol In WI Needlework 6 November 23rd 04 02:23 PM
7 layer salad... Carol In WI Yarn 1 November 21st 04 01:16 PM
7 layer salad.. Carol In WI Yarn 6 November 21st 04 04:06 AM