Anchor floss

Old August 6th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default Anchor floss

I was just wondering if there is any difference between the Anchor
floss that is sold already wound onto bobbins, and the Anchor sold in
skeins. I usually just use DMC, since it's so easy to get, but I've
come across a couple of patterns that I want to try, and they use
both. Thanks!

Louisa
Old August 6th 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

) writes:
I was just wondering if there is any difference between the Anchor
floss that is sold already wound onto bobbins, and the Anchor sold in
skeins. I usually just use DMC, since it's so easy to get, but I've
come across a couple of patterns that I want to try, and they use
both. Thanks!

Louisa

I have no idea what the answer is. I know that at one point an on-line
store in the UK bought DMC thread in bulk, and hand wound bobbins with 8
meters of thread, which they could sell a little cheaper. Of course, DMC
and Anchor thread is MUCH more expensive in Europe compared with North
America.

Old August 6th 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 8/6/08 1:15 PM, " wrote:

I was just wondering if there is any difference between the Anchor
floss that is sold already wound onto bobbins, and the Anchor sold in
skeins. I usually just use DMC, since it's so easy to get, but I've
come across a couple of patterns that I want to try, and they use
both. Thanks!

Louisa

I can't say about pre-wound, as I've never seen that. But, I much prefer
the Anchor floss to the DMC. Seems to kink less, has a bit more sheen, IMO,
and they definitely have more shades within color families - if you're doing
work that requires a lot of detailed shading graduation.

Ellice

Old August 6th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)

ellice wrote:
I can't say about pre-wound, as I've never seen that. But, I much prefer
the Anchor floss to the DMC. Seems to kink less, has a bit more sheen, IMO,
and they definitely have more shades within color families - if you're doing
work that requires a lot of detailed shading graduation.

Maureen swears by Anchor and would not touch DMC with a proverbial
barge-pole!
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old August 7th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C in California

wrote:

I was just wondering if there is any difference between the Anchor
floss that is sold already wound onto bobbins, and the Anchor sold in
skeins. I usually just use DMC, since it's so easy to get, but I've
come across a couple of patterns that I want to try, and they use
both. Thanks!

Louisa

To the best of my knowledge, the only difference is yardage. IIRC, the
bobbin is 6 yd and the skein is 8 yd.

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader

Finished 7/27/08 - MLI Christmas Visit

WIP: Oriental Kimono (Janlynn), MLI The Teacher (gift to
the library), Bethany Angel (Marbek)
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel, MLI Farmers Market

CFSfacts -- where we give you the facts and dispel the myths
Myths, with research cites: http://www.aacfs.org/images/pdfs/myths.pdf
Newest research blog: http://journals.aol.com/kmc528/Lifeasweknowit/
Old August 7th 08, 03:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Aug 6, 4:38*pm, ellice wrote:
On 8/6/08 1:15 PM, " wrote:

I was just wondering if there is any difference between the Anchor
floss that is sold already wound onto bobbins, and the Anchor sold in
skeins. I usually just use DMC, since it's so easy to get, but I've
come across a couple of patterns that I want to try, and they use
both. Thanks!

Louisa

I can't say about pre-wound, as I've never seen that. *But, I much prefer
the Anchor floss to the DMC. *Seems to kink less, has a bit more sheen, IMO,
and they definitely have more shades within color families - if you're doing
work that requires a lot of detailed shading graduation.

Ellice

Last summer I was in a Walmart, in Maryland I think, that had started
to carry Anchor., since DMC had been discontinued by the Company.
They were on bobbins, not very many colors I remember, but I have
never seen it since.

Gillian
Old August 7th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Aug 6, 5:38*pm, ellice wrote:
On 8/6/08 1:15 PM, " wrote:

I was just wondering if there is any difference between the Anchor
floss that is sold already wound onto bobbins, and the Anchor sold in
skeins. I usually just use DMC, since it's so easy to get, but I've
come across a couple of patterns that I want to try, and they use
both. Thanks!

Louisa

I can't say about pre-wound, as I've never seen that. *But, I much prefer
the Anchor floss to the DMC. *Seems to kink less, has a bit more sheen, IMO,
and they definitely have more shades within color families - if you're doing
work that requires a lot of detailed shading graduation.

Ellice

It's interesting that you mention the variety of shades, Ellice. I get
one of the British cross stitch magazines, and I can tell which
designs use Anchor versus DMC just by how they look on the cover. Some
of the Anchor shades seem to be richer, somehow.

Louisa
Old August 7th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Aug 6, 11:03*pm, wrote:
On Aug 6, 4:38*pm, ellice wrote:

On 8/6/08 1:15 PM, " wrote:

[...]

Wal-Mart here in Canada has always carried Anchor and it's always been
the pre-wound floss, and not necessarily very much available. I don't
tend to shop at Wal-Mart much, but it seems to me that the craft
sections are steadily shrinking here, too.

Louisa
Old August 7th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Aug 6, 9:01*pm, Karen C in California wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I wondered why the price for the bobbins seemed so reasonable. That
would certainly explain it!

Louisa
Old August 7th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 8/6/08 6:45 PM, "Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)"
wrote:

ellice wrote:
I can't say about pre-wound, as I've never seen that. But, I much prefer
the Anchor floss to the DMC. Seems to kink less, has a bit more sheen, IMO,
and they definitely have more shades within color families - if you're doing
work that requires a lot of detailed shading graduation.

Maureen swears by Anchor and would not touch DMC with a proverbial
barge-pole!

LOL - every time I stitch something with DMC I'm reminded. Having recently
done a piece for an "intro to linen" class and wanting to kit it exactly as
the designer - with DMC - my feelings were reinforced. I occasionally
think that it's in my head, just some unfounded bias - but after doing this
piece, I felt better - that it was actually a difference I could feel/see.
Oh, well. OTOH, I find myself using silk more and more.

Ellice