New QI!!! and dog toys

Old August 8th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
blackrosequilts

Default New QI!!! and dog toys

Charlotte Hippen wrote:

I'm so excited!! I'm going to be the proud momma of a 9 week old Cavachon
pup. We are planning to go get him this afternoon and I can't wait (my boys
have meet him and wanted to take him home that day, and don't know yet that
we are going to go get him today)!!!! I would like to find some patterns
for toys that I can make him, but I can't seem to find any. I know I've
seen some on the internet before, but now that I want them they just don't
want to be found. Any one know of any links to internet patterns for
dog/pet toys? Anyone have toys that they make their K9 QI's that you could
type up some brief instructions and/or a description? Thanks bunches from
me and my soon to be QI!!!

Pics please! Post pics!

As for dog toys -- don't buy the braided fleece toys. They're super
easy to make -- why pay $5 for one when you can make a half dozen for
less than $1? Get a quarter yard of fleece on sale at TSWLTH, cut into
1" strips, braid them, tie a knot on each end. Voila. Dog toy. My
puppy loves them, and they're great for her teeth.

--

blackrosequilts
No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message,

2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos

-------- __o
------- -\. -------- __o
---- ( )/ ( ) -------- -\.
--------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old August 8th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Welcome to the new pup Charlotte. I agree with Val on this. Nylabones
are great things. Sometimes Walmart has a small box of 88c toys near
the checkout stands. Sometimes there are fun toys in there. Georgia
likes tennis ball ones. She has a tennis ball hanging on a rope from
the patio roof that is fun for her if nobody will go and and throw
for her.
Did anyone see the stuffed bear guard dog story on the news?
I guess he tore the heck out of a bunch of museum teddy bears!
Bad dog!
Taria

Val wrote:
Let me just clue you in on a little fact about puppies and chew
toys.........
You will be much better off to purchase an actual 'doggy toy' for your baby
then make sure he knows that is the one and only toy he chews. The rubber
and rawhide for puppies make great teething toys and your puppy will be
teething and chewing a LOT. If you make toys out of fabric it resembles
clothing and the chances of your puppy chewing up a favorite garment is
high. If there's a "toy" you give the baby to chew made out of fleece they
won't know the difference between that and somebody's favorite fleece jacket
or the blanket. The same goes for giving them an old shoe to chew
on.......your baby can't tell the difference between new shoes and old
shoes. As dogs get older, and they have good consistent training your choice
of toys can broaden but you are going to have your hands full with an
un-potty trained toddler who will have a lot of things to learn. Don't put
the poor thing on overload because you think this animal will actually
appreciate that you hand made a toy......it won't. You just may be
conditioning that pup to something that will take a lot of frustrating time
to UNcondition.

Val

http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

Old August 8th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Looks like a QI to me.
http://www.timshellfarm.com/cavachons.html

Ragmop/Sandy-- http://tinyurl.com/mf8co

On 8/8/06 1:38 PM, in article PS4Cg.124551$1i1.16852@attbi_s72, "Charlotte
Hippen" wrote:

He is indeed a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and Bichon Frise mix. He's
light in color with long straight and very soft hair. Not very big, just a
little fuzz ball for right now. I don't have pictures of him yet, but am
planning on taking some once we get him home. I will post them in my QI
album and let you know they have been added. Right now we are thinking
Samson, aka Sam, for a name (DH came up with it, and it seams fitting).

Old August 8th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article iV7Cg.10626$qw5.2463@trnddc06,
Taria wrote:

Welcome to the new pup Charlotte. I agree with Val on this. Nylabones
are great things. Sometimes Walmart has a small box of 88c toys near
the checkout stands. Sometimes there are fun toys in there. Georgia
likes tennis ball ones. She has a tennis ball hanging on a rope from
the patio roof that is fun for her if nobody will go and and throw
for her.
Did anyone see the stuffed bear guard dog story on the news?
I guess he tore the heck out of a bunch of museum teddy bears!
Bad dog!
Taria

I'll give a "me too" on this idea. Dog toys that are so obviously
different from people's clothing or home furnishings are really much
safer for all concerned.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 8th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I want one of those!
Cute, cute, cute!
Taria

Old August 9th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article RC8Cg.67330$Lh4.11019@trnddc02,
Taria wrote:

I want one of those!
Cute, cute, cute!
Taria

Awwww...what a fluffy bundle of cuteness! Enjoy him!

Old August 9th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

One of the funnest things I ever made for my girls was to take a jean leg
and sew across on end, fill it with crinkled up cellophane and stitch the
other end. It made such a delicious noise when they shook it or stomped on
it.

Since their favorite game appears to be tug of war, they don't have these
kinds of toys anymore. They can tear up anything in a half hour.

Now they get old socks, heavy rope and that kong stuff that is practically
indestructible. The little one's favorite is squeaky toys, but she can get
to the squeaky in seconds. Now I just use them to call them back to the
house.

Cindy

Old August 9th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Musicmaker

wish I could help with the dog toys - but fabric toys of any kind only
last a day with my Boxer so I have only heavy duty plastic and rawhide
for her! Congrats!

Musicmaker

Old August 9th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Charlotte Hippen

I think I'm going to do like blackrose (I believe) suggested and cut strips
of fleece for tug of war toys. I think I'll also sew up some bone and basic
shaped toys using it. I wonder if baby (human) toys made from fleece would
work. I've seen a couple of ball variations on the internet that I may try.
Sorry I don't know the links right now, but will try to remember to post
them later. I will also post any results I have with them for you. I
think someone (for some reason I want to say butterfly but am probably
wrong) used some embroidery minkie patterns for making cat toys. If your
interested, it should be in the archives since I read it here.

--
Charlotte
http://community.webshots.com/user/charh108

"Georg" wrote in message

If you do find links, please share them! I feel the need to make cat and
dog toys. He definitely needs stuff to help him teeth at that age!

Unfortunately, the Jack Russell Terrier we've been caring for as a favor
to a friend has been surrendered completely to us, and we've made
arrangements for JRT rescue to give him a good home. We knew we would not
keep him forever, and he is in fact too energetic for us. It's still sad
to drop a dog off, but hopefully I can send him off with some toys for his
new friends. I know they'll care for him and he'll be happier.

-georg