New Stamping Techniques

Old April 10th 04, 06:51 AM
Ddborger

Default New Stamping Techniques

I just thought I would see if anyone out there has a new or favorite technique
that they would like to share with the rest of us. I am in a stamping "rut"
right now and would like to have some new ideas to work with.

~Donna~
SAHM Val Gal 17, Wendy Woo 14, Seany 10
6 years of Stamping Bliss
Old April 10th 04, 11:49 AM
Judy

Well, these aren't "new" but they might inspire you.

Bleach:
Fold up some paper towels on a plate to make a little pad
Pour bleach on the towels, stamp onto dark paper and see what happens.
Clean your stamps right away.
OR
Stamp and emboss an image on dark paper then use a qtip to paint bleach into
the open areas.
either leave the area blank or color them in.

Shiny paper
stamp & emboss with clear EP. then color the background in with a brayer and
buff off the embossed areas with a paper towel
--
Peace,
Judy Mitchell

Old April 10th 04, 01:48 PM
Cecelia Medbery

When I'm in a rut I will grab an idea book and copy something I like. I may
not have the same set (usually not) or even those same colors, but
essentially the project is the "same". After I do that a couple of times,
it seems to get my creative juices flowing.

Are you a member of any swap lists? I will sign up for a swap so I HAVE to
come up with something! LOL Nothing like a deadline staring me in the face
to get me going.

Or try stamping on something that you never have...dinner napkins?
clothing? flower pots?

Sorry I can't think of any new techniques.

Cecelia

Old April 10th 04, 11:50 PM
hansen

Donna,

I joined a round robin in a yahoo group (rubberstampworld) and each
month there are 2 techniques to select from - to keep myself trying new
ideas, I have been doing both. Recent favorites - 1) reverse collage
(acetate through the Xyron or spray adhesive on one side) and collage
the back side - start with a central image, use glitter, bits of stamped
images you didn't use, pretty paper, anything. 2) white crayon - stamp
your image, highlight desired area with a white crayon, then stipple,
sponge or dtp, wipe color off the white resist - neat. 3) watercolor
lifting (Mary Jo McGraw calls it Faux Fresco) and 4) eggshell technique
- clean eggshells, bleach overnight, dry, break up and glue to a piece
of cardstock that has adhesive (double stick tape or Xyron), stick them
down with a pencil eraser, then color them with Marvy Metallic markers
or metallic reinkers (let colors run together, if you wish), emboss with
UTEE and add to a card - I stamped an image in the still warm UTEE atop
the eggshells - great texture and you'd never know they are eggshells.
Bleach is a never ending favorite - try dtp cardstock, bleach stamp a
background stamp, then dtp again with another color...wonderful paper!

When I'm stuck, I do tags - just the right size to experiment with and a
good place for me to challenge myself by using colors and stamps that I
never use.

I often look through my piles of stamping magazines and any web sites
that I can find for new/old ideas. Amazing how time, new inks colors
and some new stamps make the old ideas appealing again.

Janet

Old April 11th 04, 06:12 PM
Dandelion Acres

I don't know if this is a *new* technique, but I just discovered it. It's
called Joseph's Coat. Brayer with a nice kaleidacolor pad on a piece of
glossy paper. Then stamp/wheel (I used the jumbo bold blossoms wheel from
Stampin Up and it turned out beautifully) with Versamark and emboss with
clear ep. Then brayer over the whole thing with black ink. The ep resists
the black and the embossed images just pop out in the rainbow of colors. It
got me out of a rut a couple weeks ago. Hope it helps!

Sandi

Old April 11th 04, 06:33 PM
Risible

Bleach:
Fold up some paper towels on a plate to make a little pad
Pour bleach on the towels, stamp onto dark paper and see what happens.
Clean your stamps right away.

Obviously, you clean your stamps after bleaching, but what about the paper
you've stamped on? Do you "neutralize" the bleach somehow, or is it okay to
leave the bleach bleaching away forever?

Just Wondering,
Risible
Old April 11th 04, 09:03 PM
Pat Kight

Risible wrote:
Bleach:
Fold up some paper towels on a plate to make a little pad
Pour bleach on the towels, stamp onto dark paper and see what happens.
Clean your stamps right away.

Obviously, you clean your stamps after bleaching, but what about the paper
you've stamped on? Do you "neutralize" the bleach somehow, or is it okay to
leave the bleach bleaching away forever?

Once the bleach has dried, it's inert for all practical purposes - you
couldn't add water and reactivate the bleaching property, for instance.

I'm not sure I'd use bleach technique for anything intended to last a
lifetime (scrapbooking, for instance) because the residue might react
chemically, over time, with paper, etc. in unwanted ways. But most of my
stamped art isn't intended to last a lifetime.

--
Pat Kight

Old April 12th 04, 12:38 AM
hansen

Bleach:
I read somewhere on the internet that you should heat set the bleach - I
always do that now and it really makes the area "pop" so that you can
see where you are more easily.
Try painting bleach with a brush inside parts of your images when they
are stamped on dark papers. Heat setting after painting the bleach seems
to keep the bleach from interacting so much with the new colors,
especially markers, that you place over the bleached areas.
Janet

Old April 23rd 04, 10:10 PM
emma J

Why not try rubber stamping with chalk inks onto vellum or coloured
parchment, colour in with watercolour pencils or you could emboss the image
if you used pigment ink. Then use pergamano tools and an embossing pad to
rub into some of the areas , ( this is done on the wrong side of the paper,
so that when you turn over to the right side , the embossed areas stand out!
Just a thought...you can also layer stamped vellum images using silicone
adhesive...I have a nice poppies stamp that this works lovely with. I stamp
in white onto pink vellum, repeat and cut out bits to layer up like
decoupage.
hopr this helps a bit!
As for the brayer relief type of technique, this can be seen on the magenta
rubber stamps techniques video.
thanks..E