Watch movements

Old October 25th 03, 04:30 AM
Dave Wilkinson

Default Watch movements

Hi all...

I am just starting to get into silversmithing... you may remember some of my
earlier posts... well its all coming on in leaps and bounds... and am really
enjoying myself. I have now made pendants, rings and chain bracelets.... all
with various degrees of success.

I am now thinking of making a silver watch... well at least the case and
strap. I think it would be a good exercise for me and with it being
silver... not tremendously expensive.

What I need to know is where I can buy watch movements in the UK. I'm not
looking for anything fancy... just something that is reliable and could
design a case around. I have found A G Thomas' website and ordered a
brochure from them... but would like to know if you folks have any others
that you would recommend.

Also anywhere that might sell some sort of clasp or finding made from silver
that I could use as a fastening for the strap ( Thats the only bit that I
think might be really tricky to make myself.... unless you know of an easy
type I could try )

As always any advice would be much appreciated... and if you could point me
in the direction of some good websites that would be great.... but like I
have found before the best way to learn is to have an idea... get stuck
in... and go for it !

Thanks
Dave

Old October 26th 03, 03:56 PM
Jools

Dave Wilkinson wrote in message
[...]

dave
Cousins Material House in Romford should have just about all your
requirements either tools, findings or watch movements. They have a
comprehensive webb site so hang on to your credit card!!!!!!!
Julian

Old October 26th 03, 08:10 PM
Dave Wilkinson

"Jools" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah thanks Jools... another person I spoke to recommended them.... but the
site doesn't seem to have pictures of the movements and I would like to get
some idea of what they look like... so I can see what kind of thing you get
and how I can design around it. Maybe I will order a brochure from them too.

Thanks very much
Dave

Making the watch face removable, an idea Diana Curtis Beads 2 December 17th 04 03:13 PM
AD: Watch Faces Marisa Exter Beads 2 April 15th 04 09:59 PM
Watch Band suggestions? Marisa Exter Beads 10 April 14th 04 06:40 AM
How Do I Fix My Watch Battery? Stephanie Jewelry 11 October 14th 03 04:22 PM
watch faces angela Beads 0 August 14th 03 01:11 PM