Well, the peace and quiet is over and so is the stitching time

Old August 7th 08, 02:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Well, the peace and quiet is over and so is the stitching time

On 8/7/08 8:29 AM, in article ,
"Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)" wrote:

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 12:52:20 +0100, "Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay,
Orkney)" opined:

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 07:06:25 -0400, Cheryl Isaak opined:
Go read "The Egg and I". That will cure you of longing for "the simple
life".
Hee hee, that's a real oldie lol
I love the bit where the old chap couldn't understand why his water
tower collapsed when he cut "just a small piece" from one of the main
supports. But they bred them tough in those days!

This is somewhat interesting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Egg_and_I

A bit like Lilian Beckwith (1916 - 2004) who wrote a series of amusing
semi-autobiographical books (eg "The hills is lonely") based upon her
experiences after she moved to Skye in the 1940s. The locals were upset
because they claimed that they could be clearly identified in her books,
no court cases though.

Definitely just like Peyton Place. I have a friend from Wolfboro (supposedly
Peyton Place in the book) and there is still anger over the book.

Cheryl

Old August 7th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 8/6/08 5:21 PM, "lucretia borgia" wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:35:42 GMT, ellice opined:

On 8/6/08 11:46 AM, "lucretia borgia" wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:31:06 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

As my ex used to say "it's not bragging if it's true". The corollary to
which is obviously that it's not insulting if it's true.

Given this guy thinks he's the next Wayne Gretsky and a general jerk on and
off the ice. The idea a girl, especially a 9 year old one, could beat him
in
race of that nature is completely infuriating.

As you know, I take little to no interest in hockey but Gretsky was a
totally nice person, likewise so is Crosby - the latter is from just
across the harbour from Halifax. He's from Mavia country.

So if he wants to be like Gretsky, he better smarten up and be more
polite.

LOL - Gretzky is a great guy off the ice. Always been nice to say "hi" to
in the underneath of the arena, etc. But, on the ice he actually was quite
well known for being able to get away with plenty of sneaky and not-nice
attacks. He could speak some volumes in that smart undertone - and it wasn't
all in the best sportsmanlike way. But, not detracting - he's a great guy,
great for the sport, etc.

Ellice

I'll take him long before that brute that ended another man's career,
forget his name because I didn't feel he was memorable.

Oh - no comparison. Just always find it a bit interesting - public
perception versus a little more behind the scenes. We're big Gretzky fans
in this household. But, at least in hockey, can never think that anyone is
above/beyond the nasty remarks - even if only meant for the opponents' ears.

Personally, we've never been Chris Simon fans - as he's so prone to losing
his temper and some seriously ugly attacks - like the stick to the head of
the laying on the ice Donald Brashear. I think who you're thinking of is
Marty McSorley - who IIRC someone picked up after his lengthy suspension.
Similarly, after Todd Bertuzzi caused such a horrid injury, and I believe
was brought up on criminal charges, after his suspension for a year - he was
brought back. Oh, well.

Ellice

Old August 7th 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 8/6/08 6:38 PM, "Jangchub" wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:31:57 GMT, ellice wrote:

On 8/6/08 11:16 AM, "Jangchub" wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 15:11:34 +0100, "Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay,
Orkney)" wrote:

Lucille wrote:
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote
I started wondering about the "lure of the open road" when I pulled up
next to a Harley with drink holders, a GPS and bluetooth headsets...
That's why the Pediatric ICU nurses I knew called them "Donorcycles."
Foolish people who treat their bike as their living room and don't wear
helmets.

Safety helmets have been compulsory for motorcyclists (except for Sikhs)
in the UK for several years. And most cyclists seem to wear a helmet of
some sort.

Two or three years ago, Texas lifted the helmet law and now we have
bikers everywhere with no helmets on. However, you are required to
wear a helmet under 17 on a bicycle. Does this make any sense? Isn't
a motorbike more dangerous?

Head injuries are head injuries. The idea with bicycle helmets is that
children aren't mature enough to make the right decision, therefore by
mandating bicycle helmets it's made for them. Yes, we all grew up without
them - but honestly, my 3 speed Schwinn wasn't going in the same traffic, at
the same pace as the 18 and 24 speed bicycles all around now. Not to
mention the mountain bikes, off road, etc. So, bike helmets are a good
thing - and kid's heads can use the protection. Plus, once any of these
protective helmets have been through a big fall - they generally should be
replaced (you can see if the plastic has some crazing - like it stretched).

Motorbikes - doesn't the helmet law state that you have to be 18 or over to
not wear one?

Motorized cycles - more dangerous to everyone else in particular, can be
more dangerous cause of speed - but if a car rams a bicycle - you're just as
smushed.

Ellice

Oh you may have misread me. I think everyone should wear helmets
for bicycles in traffic and motorcycles. I just find it funny they
demand them for bicycles, but not for motorcycles. I am not sure
about the age of motorcycle riders, you may be right on that one. At
least I hope so. I have seen grown ups with children on the back or
in front of them with no helmet on. They may be breaking the law, but
in my opinion they are putting that child in danger of death or worse,
vegetative state.

I understood you - just answering with what rationale I could. I'm sure
that it is illegal to have a child on a motorcycle without a helmet.

Ellice

Old August 7th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

Orkney)" wrote:

Lucille wrote:
[...]

If it's not illegal, it certainly should be.

Old August 7th 08, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 8/6/08 8:09 PM, "Karen C in California" wrote:

Carey N. wrote:

Care to enlighten me about which shape is for which beverage?
--
Carey in MA(showing her ignorance....)

As I recall, the deeper cups are for coffee and the shallower ones are
for tea.

In this household, it's all served in mugs.

Tea cups are slightly smaller than coffee cups in china services. Also,
older sets will have deeper saucers for the tea (slops thing WRT antiques).
Anyhow, generally the teacups will be daintier, generally shallower, and the
coffee cups are larger and more upright. But, not all the time - some
patterns it's just kind of the ~6 oz tea cup and an ~8 oz coffee cup.
Demi-tasse cups, smaller, quite upright.

My DA collects antique china, and my DM collected tea cups - enough that my
SIL & I split her collection. There's a bit of range in the shape, style -
but most of them are 19th century, some 18th, maybe 1 or 2 early 20th. My
DA has 18th century and 19th century Royal Doulton, and Royal Worcester -
plus when she married - they actually had a set of Royal Imari made for
themselves as "good" china - complete with hand fluted plates, interiors of
bowls and cups painted. It's stunning - if overwhelmeing. Anyhow, I also
have a china set (inherited) that has complete servie - including of all
things - cream soups, regular soups, tea and coffee cups, etc. It's only
about 60 years old, but.....

My DF, for many years, would refuse to drink out of anything but cup and
saucer, then finally DM got him to do coffee in a mug, but tea stayed in
cups and saucers. So, family fun - when we did take-out Chinese - there was
always a pot of China Oolong tea, and cups with saucers. Go figure. I love
that teapot, and still have it (though it's still packed up). Black, with
fine striped enamel decoration in relief. Likely way to good for the brutal
use we gave it.

Ellice

Old August 7th 08, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 8/7/08 1:05 AM, "Dawne Peterson" wrote:

"Karen C in California" wrote

As I recall, the deeper cups are for coffee and the shallower ones are for
tea.

And then, I think, there are also "breakfast cups"......
In this household, it's all served in mugs.

My Dad was apparently waaaay ahead of his time---drank his morning coffee
from a bowl before anyone in Saskatchewan had heard of latte.

Dawne

Ah, how very French. I just loved it my first ever morning in France - go
down for petit dejeuner (breakfast) - and a hot, perfect baguette with
gorgeous butter, and a bowl of coffee! Yum - great café au lait.
Interestingly, I found that in my friends, and then beau's, houses they
would have a bowl - deep, uaually angled sides, for coffee, but in some of
the restaurants/hotels - the bowl would be a huge mug like we sometimes use
for soup - with a handle. Bowl shaped, but with the handle and not so
angled. Anyhow, of course I brought a set home!

Ellice

Old August 7th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
"Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)" wrote:
My pint (pottery) mug holds a pint of hot, strong, sweet tea.
My pint (glass) mug holds a pint of (home brewed) beer.

And there is never something else in the pottery mug?
I've love to have a decent mug that size.

Beer from a pottery mug? Never tried that, might have a go tonight.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old August 7th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 8/7/08 10:35 AM, in article ,
"Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 8/7/08 7:36 AM, in article
,
"lucretia borgia" wrote:

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 07:06:25 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

On 8/6/08 6:41 PM, in article
,
"lucretia borgia" wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 17:31:29 -0500, Jangchub
opined:

Why am I picturing Lucille Ball in the mud, rolling around with an
alpaca? Of course this is just a fantasy and I'd never be able to do
it unless mister Mark would go along with it and he is more a girly
man who does not like dirt, or fixing things, nor has he ever ridden a
horse!

I don't know you'd be rolling in the mud, rather ducking their spit
balls !

Maybe not Lucille Ball, maybe Green Acres or something.
Go read "The Egg and I". That will cure you of longing for "the simple
life".

Cheryl

Hee hee, that's a real oldie lol

Great book though.

Just finished Peyton Place - another golden oldie, but the story still
rings
true today.

Cheryl

Does it surprise you as much as it does me that people today seem to think
they invented sex and intrique yesterday and it will be the ruination of the
world as we know it. Didn't any of those people read books in the past?

Lucille

I've often wondered what the Victorian "pulp fiction" was like.

Cheryl