Needlecraft books

Old August 6th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)

Default Technique guides [was: Needlecraft books]

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 20:08:43 +0100, "Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay,
Orkney)" opined:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
I'll raise my hand - that is one I've wanted for ages. I've forgotten where
I thumbed through a copy but it was wonderful

Cheryl

Copies available via Abe Books - see
http://tinyurl.com/6xgxyf
77 copies available at prices from $55 to less than $2

Anyone gets a copy, strongly recommend buying the hardback, can't
imagine a paper back edition.

The $55 version is in hardback and signed by the author.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old August 6th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 8/6/08 2:04 PM, "lucretia borgia" wrote:

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 12:49:54 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

On 8/6/08 10:36 AM, in article
, "anne"
wrote:

says...
What books would stitchers recommend for teaching beginners different
needlework techniques (such as thread painting, whitework, etc)? I want
to try some new techniques and wonder what resources are the best for
teaching different kinds of needlework.

For beginners and not so beginners, any of the A-Z books by Country Bumpkin
are
great!!!!!!!! Not only are the illustrations first class, so are the
explanations.

If you want to learn more surface embroidery stitches, Erica Wilsons' books
are
wonderful. Most libraries have them; they can also be found at some or many,
not necessarily most eg, second hand book stores.

I'll second haunting a used book shop. Even "dated" books can have wonderful
technique instructions

Cheryl

Somebody will have to pry my copy of The Art of Crewel Embroidery by
Mildred Davis from my cold, dead hands. I believe it went out of
print sometime in the late 50s but is sometimes in used book stores.

Old stitchers die and sometimes their stash winds up in places like
that.

I was really lucky. Some very nice elderly woman brought in a bunch of old
needlework books to the shop - so we got to divvy some up. Mary Martin's NP
book - amongst them. And a very old Erica Wilson, some others. Some quite
interesting one an samplers from an English collection made by some
noblewoman in the Victorian era who chose not to marry, and went about her
life collecting and doing needlework. I'll have to go look at it, and put
the name out there - it's pretty fascinating.

Ellice

Old August 7th 08, 09:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Becky A

Default Hardanger Books [was Technique guides]

Laury Walkey wrote:
What books would stitchers recommend for teaching beginners different
needlework techniques (such as thread painting, whitework, etc)? I want
to try some new techniques and wonder what resources are the best for
teaching different kinds of needlework.

Cheers,

I'm late to the party, but I was wondering if anybody had
recommendations for Hardanger technique books. I've grasped the basics
(stitch a square, cut a hole) and I'm interested in learning more, from
basic to advanced.

Yeah, razz me about living in Norway and not getting local books...but I
can't freaking read them yet and they're REALLY expensive!

I'm working on my very first kit right now, and I'm already thinking
about what I want to do next, but I have zero Hardanger stash and I have
no real grasp as to how to guesstimate thread usage.

Any book recommendations?
Becky A.
Old August 8th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 8/7/08 4:35 PM, "Becky A" wrote:

Laury Walkey wrote:
What books would stitchers recommend for teaching beginners different
needlework techniques (such as thread painting, whitework, etc)? I want
to try some new techniques and wonder what resources are the best for
teaching different kinds of needlework.

Cheers,

I'm late to the party, but I was wondering if anybody had
recommendations for Hardanger technique books. I've grasped the basics
(stitch a square, cut a hole) and I'm interested in learning more, from
basic to advanced.

Janice Love. Great books. Has one called "Hardanger Basics", then a Beyond
Basics, then more. I love these books for teaching, or self-teaching.
http://tinyurl.com/62ewpn

Emie Bishop has fabulous patterns, but....I would not recommend her stuff as
a first or second attempt - especially for self-teaching. Once you've done
something else, gotten a little base, then you could move on. The book she
has with teaching sampler, I think it's called "Marian's Teaching Sampler"
(I have the book) is very difficult to follow - hand drawn charts, etc and
the instructions not so clear. But, they become clearer with more recent
things.

Yeah, razz me about living in Norway and not getting local books...but I
can't freaking read them yet and they're REALLY expensive!

I'm working on my very first kit right now, and I'm already thinking
about what I want to do next, but I have zero Hardanger stash and I have
no real grasp as to how to guesstimate thread usage.

Any book recommendations?

See above.

Ellice

Old August 11th 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Aug 7, 3:35 pm, Becky A wrote:

I'm working on my very first kit right now, and I'm already thinking
about what I want to do next, but I have zero Hardanger stash and I have
no real grasp as to how to guesstimate thread usage.

Any book recommendations?

Nordic Needle started with 2 women who couldn't find supplies for
hardanger in this area. After starting their store, they also did
some designing and have a number of books out. Since I don't do
hardanger (yet), I can't attest as to their ease of understanding, but
I know they have a number of them on their site and in their store.

HTH

Joan

Old August 11th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 8/11/08 2:43 PM, "Joan E." wrote:

On Aug 7, 3:35 pm, Becky A wrote:

I'm working on my very first kit right now, and I'm already thinking
about what I want to do next, but I have zero Hardanger stash and I have
no real grasp as to how to guesstimate thread usage.

Any book recommendations?

Nordic Needle started with 2 women who couldn't find supplies for
hardanger in this area. After starting their store, they also did
some designing and have a number of books out. Since I don't do
hardanger (yet), I can't attest as to their ease of understanding, but
I know they have a number of them on their site and in their store.

HTH

Joan

Rosemarie Watenamo is the main "hardanger" gal at Nordic Needle. She has
great design charts out. But, for learning, IME, most people really, really
like the Janice Love books. They're very clear, and the projects are nice.
Once you get through the basics there are several designers worth following
with - Emie Bishop. Rpsemary Watenmao, even Victoria Sampler. Also,
Loopylou Designs has some really nice pieces - here is a link to her
website.
http://www.loopyloudesigns.co.uk/freebie.shtml

Ellice

Old August 11th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Debbie Rice

The Janice Love books are what our local shop use for classes and are great.
Following along with the book's text and you will quickly see how clear the
directions are (don't try to just read, do). Hers also have good
photos/directions for how things go wrong and how to fix.

Animated stitch diagrams to show "video" of hardanger stitches in action are
free at http://www.victoriasampler.com/Stitc...s/Default.aspx -- it
is very helpful seeing the stitches being done. They also have a series of
$7 to $20 kits that each introduce a new stitch (and have all the supplies)
in their Beyond Cross Stitch series in six levels of learning (for example,
check this page on their website scrolling down for pictures
http://www.victoriasampler.com/Catal...ch/bxs_6.aspx), Hearts
of ... etc.

Leisure Arts has a teach yourself hardanger book (http://www.leisurearts.com
and search for item 3278). Nordic Needle's website has lots of free
instructional/stitch pages and sometimes videos/dvds. Dover has some very
reasonably priced books; however, in a lot of them you get more photos than
actual instructions or diagrams so I'd peruse in your local bookstore before
deciding if they are suited to your level (all are not suited for beginners
but their really some great patterns in the $2.00 to $8 average price
range).

Hoffmandis.com will have hardanger patterns from various designers, hit
their website and select "online catalogue" and then search for "hardanger"
and then also look at found designer's other patterns; I'd recommend
ornaments for a beginner (and the Cross 'N Patch ones, while truly lovely,
for more advanced work as mentioned in another of your responses).

Old August 12th 08, 12:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Margaret St. John

On 2008-08-11, ellice wrote:
On 8/11/08 2:43 PM, "Joan E." wrote:

On Aug 7, 3:35 pm, Becky A wrote:

I'm working on my very first kit right now, and I'm already thinking
about what I want to do next, but I have zero Hardanger stash and I have
no real grasp as to how to guesstimate thread usage.

Any book recommendations?

snip
Rosemarie Watenamo is the main "hardanger" gal at Nordic Needle. She has
great design charts out. But, for learning, IME, most people really, really
like the Janice Love books. They're very clear, and the projects are nice.
Once you get through the basics there are several designers worth following
with - Emie Bishop. Rpsemary Watenmao, even Victoria Sampler. Also,
Loopylou Designs has some really nice pieces - here is a link to her
website.
http://www.loopyloudesigns.co.uk/freebie.shtml

Ellice

I second this. I wanted to lean hardanger, so I took a GCC (Group Corespondance
Cource) trhough the EGA's online CyberStitcher's chapter. The course was good
,but didn't explain everything. The teacher recommended the Janice Love books
I picked them up, and they were fantastic. I wish I had started there.
-Margaret

--
\\ o o
|\/ o\ o