Well, the peace and quiet is over and so is the stitching time

Old August 6th 08, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Well, the peace and quiet is over and so is the stitching time

On 8/6/08 9:12 AM, in article , "Karen C in
California" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

However, he's got a new insult for a particular skater he deals with
regularly (and trust me the kid is putz) -
"Hey, Och - my little sister is faster going backwards than you going
forward".

As my ex used to say "it's not bragging if it's true". The corollary to
which is obviously that it's not insulting if it's true.

Given this guy thinks he's the next Wayne Gretsky and a general jerk on and
off the ice. The idea a girl, especially a 9 year old one, could beat him in
race of that nature is completely infuriating.

Old August 6th 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Lucille[_3_]

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 8/6/08 8:50 AM, in article
,
"Lucille" lzoltynospam@now at comcast..net wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 8/4/08 8:37 PM, in article
,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 20:27:01 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 8/4/08 6:27 PM, in article
,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 12:55:03 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

I have stitching in the truck, but you can't stitch and drive...

You can't? Try harder!

Hell, I saw something today that blew my mind - a passenger on a
motorcycle
reading a book.....

Oy! I've seen motorcycles with DVD screens in them. Austin is the
city friendly to bicycles and motocycles. Ya, I have nothing else to
worry about then some cyclist reading or watching a porn movie while
driving. The goes back to my comment on how there is absolutely no
down time any more.

I started wondering about the "lure of the open road" when I pulled up
next
to a Harley with drink holders, a GPS and bluetooth headsets...

That's why the Pediatric ICU nurses I knew called them "Donorcycles."
Foolish people who treat their bike as their living room and don't wear
helmets.

Lucille

Oh - they had helmets and leathers. The helmets just had little aerials.
Nothing said unsafe to me; just the idea of a Harley as a distance cruiser
made me laugh.

Donorcycles would be the idiots on crotch rockets with no helmet, tank
top,
cutoffs and flipflops.

Cheryl

That's often what I see here in Florida and that's why I call them idiots.
I guess there's something I'm missing when I see them with their long,
stringy, blonde hairblowing in the wind and they're weaving in and out of
traffic. By the way, the hair goes for both the guys and the girls.

Old August 6th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)

Jangchub wrote:
On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 15:11:34 +0100, "Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay,
Orkney)" wrote:

Lucille wrote:
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote
I started wondering about the "lure of the open road" when I pulled up
next to a Harley with drink holders, a GPS and bluetooth headsets...
That's why the Pediatric ICU nurses I knew called them "Donorcycles."
Foolish people who treat their bike as their living room and don't wear
helmets.

Safety helmets have been compulsory for motorcyclists (except for Sikhs)
in the UK for several years. And most cyclists seem to wear a helmet of
some sort.

Two or three years ago, Texas lifted the helmet law and now we have
bikers everywhere with no helmets on. However, you are required to
wear a helmet under 17 on a bicycle. Does this make any sense? Isn't
a motorbike more dangerous?

Perhaps there was a shortage of organ donors in Texas?
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old August 6th 08, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)

lucretia borgia wrote:
On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:11:32 -0500, Jangchub
opined:
Well, I am beginning to wonder what it would be like to live off the
grid in a yurt because I am rapidly growing disgusted with "community"
life. Really, just buy five hundred acres somewhere, put some goats,
sheep and cattle on it, let them graze, make my own cheese and spin my
own wool, have some alpaca's and sell the wool, live off the land,
never eat a hunk of meat (which I don't eat now anyway) and check out.

Geeze, what side of the bed did I get up on this morning LOL!

OH, the 'Strawberry Candy' are blooming. The buds are not open yet,
but I haven't gone out there into the oven yet.

Too simplistic. What do you do when the goats drop dead of disease,
the steers/cows get foot and mouth or mad cow and the alpacas get
really dirty with you when you try to sheer them ?

I have this really hilarious picture in my mind right now !

A vet once said to me, only half-jokingly, "Sheep suffer from many
diseases. The first symptom of most of them is death"
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old August 6th 08, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Carey N.

"Karen C in California" wrote in message

My granny drilled it into me, too, and when I started moving in better
circles, it definitely helped me fit in.

And, although we never had lobster at home, I am acquainted with the
notion of a lobster fork. Mom bought one for the simple reason that the
fork end was good for spearing pickles in the jar and the scoop end was
good for adding mayo to the same bowl of tuna salad, thus only one
utensil to wash instead of two.

I also know there's a difference between teacups and coffee cups ... an
older relative was visiting from The Old Country and chided Mom for
using the wrong shape (which was the only shape cup she had in her china
pattern). A few weeks later, having educated us which is which, the old
girl sent Mom half a dozen of the other shape, so that she could be
proper. I don't know whether Mom was more amazed that the woman sprang
for 6 cups or that her china pattern was still being made!

--
Karen C - California
Editor/Proofreader www.IntlProofingConsortium.com

Care to enlighten me about which shape is for which beverage?
--
Carey in MA(showing her ignorance....)

Old August 6th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 8/6/08 10:11 AM, "Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)"
wrote:

Lucille wrote:
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote
I started wondering about the "lure of the open road" when I pulled up
next to a Harley with drink holders, a GPS and bluetooth headsets...

That's why the Pediatric ICU nurses I knew called them "Donorcycles."
Foolish people who treat their bike as their living room and don't wear
helmets.

Safety helmets have been compulsory for motorcyclists (except for Sikhs)
in the UK for several years. And most cyclists seem to wear a helmet of
some sort.

Here it's a state's rights issue - so varies across the country. I
personally, am not particularly fond of scraping up the non-helmet wearer
parts - or having them mess up our nice clean ambulance. Truly, truly,
truly hate the stupidity of those who don't wear one - I think as part of
the motorcycle education class, they should be shown some film of what
happens without proper clothing - even at low speed - and what your head
looks like after meeting the ground without a helmet - not to mention your
face - which is less important. But the brain scramble - it's not pretty.

Ellice

Old August 6th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

"Jangchub" wrote:

On Mon, 04 Aug 2008 20:27:01 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 8/4/08 6:27 PM, in article
,

wrote:

[...]

Where have you been? The MSIL and her very nice husband do long trips.
He's a Honda guy, with a Goldwing (similar big bike) and they go on long
cruising adventures.

Donorcycles would be the idiots on crotch rockets with no helmet, tank top,
cutoffs and flipflops.

Cheryl

Exactly. And with the traffic around here, I love to see them swinging in
and out at 90 mph on the Dulles toll road, which runs about 65-70, with a
speed limit of 55. Worse on the extension, which has a speed limit of 65 so
runs more like 75 and the idiots are all over the place at well over 90.

Ellice