Ot Just Clothes !!!Length of skirt ?

Old July 31st 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default Ot Just Clothes !!!Length of skirt ?

On 7/30/08 5:37 PM, "Jangchub" wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:54:15 GMT, ellice wrote:

(...)

Certainly ignorant - not necessarily a matter of intelligence. Don't get me
going on this topic.....It's only the few at this point that seem to be
interested in working to actually learn something and acquire a skill that
needs fundamental knowledge. IF there's a quick way "just show me how to
do it" most seem oriented that way - and I think this lack of fundamental
knowledge, and the ability to build upon it is certainly starting to bite us
in the proverbial ass.

Ellice

I think ignorance is worse than lack of intelligence. Far worse.
Everything is so immediate in this age. I am on a plane and the
SECOND we're on the tarmac people MUST call people telling them we're
on the tarmac. Can't people see the boards light up when the plane
lands?

Totally agree about ignorance. But, too often it's purposeful ignorance -
which to me - is the worst. Sometimes I feel that there is a certain amount
of situational ignorance - less excusable now with all the access to
communication. That said, when I was first travelling, working overseas, I
felt pretty strongly that a lot of the issue with the "gauche" or outspoken,
too loud, Americans was that kind of situational ignorance - lack of
worldiness, awareness of the rest of the world - due to being so far away -
with so much space here, privilege, self-sufficiency to some extent.
Doesn't excuse things, but....

Maybe I'm being too simplistic about it all. I think all mothers need
cell phones, but not all children. It's out of control.

It is out of control. So many people cannot find an anwer to a question if
it's not immediately visible via google, or handed to them. Laziness about
just looking for something obvious even. And the sense that you must talk
about relative nothing at all times, and immediately is amazing. I am so
sick of people with cell phones on in public restrooms that I want to
scream. Generally, I just make some remark.

Manners and common courtesy are not just developing into a modern
sensibility - as in ladies no longer wear gloves whenever they're out of the
hosue - but into more of "whatever I want now is fine" and a lack of
consideration for how actions, or lack of them, will affect other people.
It's just sad.

Oh, well.

Ellice

Old July 31st 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)

Olwyn Mary wrote:
Jangchub wrote:

Maybe I'm being too simplistic about it all. I think all mothers need
cell phones, but not all children. It's out of control.

Ahem. I managed to bring up two children without a cell phone (I
couldn't afford one, I was a SAHM).

p.s. I still don't have one. Anyone wants to reach me, there is a
perfectly good landline at home, with an answering machine attached
thereto.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

I've a mobile phone aka cellphone. The only time it is switched on is
when I go over to Kirkwall so that I let Maureen know that the ferry has
arrived safely; Maureen is convinced that the ferry will go down with
all hands if the wind above gale F8. I have to remember to use at least
once every 90 days so that the PAYG account doesn't get shut down.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old July 31st 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Jenn Ridley

Keith Barber wrote:

lucretia borgia wrote in
:

As I understand it, from what was said, girls are very omniverous (as
we can see here) but boys, if it's not sport, bikes, hockey, Nascar,
that type of thing, it's unlikely they will sample.

Really, I have always read anything I could get my hands on, I currently
read about 500 pages a week.

Based on my experiences in a K-2 (5-8 year old) library, there are a
few boys who will read anything, but most of them hang out in the
non-fiction, reading about animals or dinosaurs or athletes or space.
(note that I said 'few' and 'most.)

jenn

--
Jenn Ridley :
WIP: Poppies (Art-Stitch), two knitted tops, Oriental Butterfly
Old July 31st 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Dr. Brat wrote:

I'll have to check him out. I also love Ian Rankin, but I'm not sure
I'd recommend him for a teenager - something a little too spare and too
brutal about his prose.

I agree about Rankin - adore him, but he resonates more with people with
a little experience in life!

I was sad to think about Rebus' retirement, but have heard that Rankin
will continue to write him. Hallelujah!

sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music
Old July 31st 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 7/30/08 4:06 PM, in article ,
"Jangchub" wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008 10:59:32 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Yep - I got my hands on that, the "sequel", Fanny Hill, Erica Jong, The
Women's Room.....

Ooo I forgot those. Here are a few more, Wifey, The Happy Hooker, and
others I can't recall just now.

The Harrod Experiment.....

LOL! I was a freshman in college the year after that came out, and the
first class at the college that admitted freshman women at the
previously all-male school. (They'd formally admitted women the previous
year, but took only upperclass transfers.) So it was the year that had a
mass of women entering the previously male dorms. We all used to joke
about the urinal in the wall of the ladies' room - was it a hair-washing
station, LOL?!

Anyway, I was in the first co-ed dorm *ever* on the campus, and there
were Harrod jokes ad nauseum. The dorms were small - my house had 27
people - two floors of women and one floor of men. The rumor on campus
was that the sociology dept. profs had made bets on how many pregnancies
would occur in our dorm. Acually, there was one pregnancy - a girl who
went home most weekends and got pregnant by her boyfriend at home - not
campus related at all.

sue

Old July 31st 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Hartman

Dawne Peterson wrote:
"Jangchub" wrote
Everything is so immediate in this age. I am on a plane and the
SECOND we're on the tarmac people MUST call people telling them we're on
the tarmac.

I heard a statistic on the CBC about the surprising percentage of cell phone
calls that are simply to report location. Of course some of those are
important--but I have been on bus and plane trips where passengers were
phoning regularly "we're just past X now", "we'll be at Y in a minute". I
mean--they know you got on a bus at this time and will arrive at that time.
Barring emergencies--when of course you would call. And at the Mall--"we're
just in WalMart now, then we're going to Body Shop." "We're in Body Shop,
did you want some cranberry soap??" The self importance of this astonishes
me.

Then there are the people who carry on personal conversations while in
stores. I do volunteer work a the Ten Thousand Villages store, and last
week there was a customer who carried on a conversation throughout the
checkout process. I ended up addressing most of my requests to the
middle-school age daughter (should I take the prices off? Do you want
gift boxes? etc.)

I think that's incredibly rude.

DD used to work in a video store, and said this happened all the time.

sue

Old July 31st 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Dawne Peterson wrote:
"Jangchub" wrote

Everything is so immediate in this age. I am on a plane and the
SECOND we're on the tarmac people MUST call people telling them we're on
the tarmac.

I heard a statistic on the CBC about the surprising percentage of cell phone
calls that are simply to report location. Of course some of those are
important--but I have been on bus and plane trips where passengers were
phoning regularly "we're just past X now", "we'll be at Y in a minute". I
mean--they know you got on a bus at this time and will arrive at that time.
Barring emergencies--when of course you would call. And at the Mall--"we're
just in WalMart now, then we're going to Body Shop." "We're in Body Shop,
did you want some cranberry soap??" The self importance of this astonishes
me.

There's a demand for immediacy among younger people that is really quite
astonishing. Witness things like Twitter, Facebook, Instant Messaging,
and people who complain if you don't answer their emails right away.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old July 31st 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Susan Hartman wrote:

Dr. Brat wrote:

I'll have to check him out. I also love Ian Rankin, but I'm not sure
I'd recommend him for a teenager - something a little too spare and
too brutal about his prose.

I agree about Rankin - adore him, but he resonates more with people with
a little experience in life!

I was sad to think about Rebus' retirement, but have heard that Rankin
will continue to write him. Hallelujah!

Ah, you just reminded me of another favorite: Stuart Kaminsky. I love
his Russian detective series, particularly _Blood and Rubles_.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old July 31st 08, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney) wrote:

I've a mobile phone aka cellphone. The only time it is switched on is
when I go over to Kirkwall so that I let Maureen know that the ferry has
arrived safely; Maureen is convinced that the ferry will go down with
all hands if the wind above gale F8. I have to remember to use at least
once every 90 days so that the PAYG account doesn't get shut down.

I, on the other hand, never give people my landline number anymore. But
I am also perfectly capable of ignoring my cell if I want to. If I'm
going into a store or an appointment, I leave it in the car. I figure
if somebody dies, I can be just as sad about it and just as efficient at
making travel plans when I get done with my business as during it.

Elizabeth

Scarves - length? Katherine Hutter Yarn 18 October 9th 04 08:31 AM
fs&fa FOR QUILT PIECING, Doll Clothes Piecing, Children Clothes Piecing – FINEST IRON AVAILABLE AT ANY PRICE! singer_fw_iron_lover Marketplace 1 August 9th 04 11:10 PM
choker length biig Beads 3 December 18th 03 08:46 PM
weaving help for length Cher Yarn 7 September 28th 03 02:25 PM
Anklet length question Helen C Beads 3 August 7th 03 03:18 PM