Newbie: Old cut and New cut

Old October 19th 03, 04:15 PM
ABC

Default Newbie: Old cut and New cut

I know almost nothing about jewel cutting. I do watches for a hobby.
Some antique watches have precious stones for decoration but the most,
I was told, is 'old cut"--they are not bright and as reflective as
the ones I see in shops now.

My question is when did they begin to have the 'new cut"? This may
help me to ID if the watch is if as old (or new) as claimed.

Tnaks

ABC
Please do not reply by email.Reply to NG

Old October 20th 03, 04:15 PM
Marblejuana

In 1860, Henry Morse opened the first US diamond cutting factory in Boston. By
1880, after much trial and error, he hit upon proportions which produced what
he wanted to see. His design is now widely known as the American ideal cut. Not
until the 1920s did more modern-looking brilliants really begin to gain
popularity.

Michael Matz, GIA Diamonds Graduate

http://members.aol.com/AireSignDesign
"Mobilizing Creative Endeavors"
Old October 21st 03, 02:13 AM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

A diamond cutter once told me that they occasionally got very old stones
to recut. I asked how old and he said maybe 200-400 years old!
Evidently, much newer than that and they may not be certain how old it
is. Of course, the old style could be cut at anytime. The scale of
changes/improvements in even the 'standard round brilliant'(SRB) may
have 2-3 'leaps'(American,Tolkowsky,etc.) in it but is fairly gradual. I
doubt it could be improved much more than where we are now. Other cuts
of course are being introduced/promoted all the time. You didn't mention
diamonds specifically and of course the cuts used for most colored
stones have also made headway, though they are more frequently cut with
the emphasis on weight while sacrificing brilliance.

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

ABC wrote:
I know almost nothing about jewel cutting. I do watches for a hobby.
Some antique watches have precious stones for decoration but the most,
I was told, is 'old cut"--they are not bright and as reflective as
the ones I see in shops now.

My question is when did they begin to have the 'new cut"? This may
help me to ID if the watch is if as old (or new) as claimed.

Tnaks

ABC
Please do not reply by email.Reply to NG

to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old October 22nd 03, 07:01 AM
ABC

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 01:13:23 GMT, Carl 1 Lucky Texan
wrote:

A diamond cutter once told me that they occasionally got very old stones
to recut. I asked how old and he said maybe 200-400 years old!
Evidently, much newer than that and they may not be certain how old it
is. Of course, the old style could be cut at anytime. The scale of
changes/improvements in even the 'standard round brilliant'(SRB) may
have 2-3 'leaps'(American,Tolkowsky,etc.) in it but is fairly gradual. I
doubt it could be improved much more than where we are now. Other cuts
of course are being introduced/promoted all the time. You didn't mention
diamonds specifically and of course the cuts used for most colored
stones have also made headway, though they are more frequently cut with
the emphasis on weight while sacrificing brilliance.

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

The watch I am dealing with is an "old" Tiffany, with 2 bright cut
saphires. The saleman said this was from the 1950's. I have other
reasons for some doubt( a Tiffany watch made by Concord??).

May be it is fair to say that the bright cut saphires are possible,
but not likely, to be from 1950's??