SAS report - long

Old June 24th 09, 02:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default SAS report - long

SAS (aka Share A Stitch) is the annual seminar hosted by the Tennessee Valley
Region of EGA. Travel to Nashville was easy, since it's just a hop, skip, and 2
jumps from me and a friend (control freak type) did all the driving.

Despite arriving close to check in time, many of the rooms weren't ready. After
a short delay, we were assigned a room on the first floor; although it was a
trek to and from the lobby and classrooms, we didn't have to queue for
elevators as is often the case at these events.

Thursday evening, the program featured 2 wimmen (they were really Southern so I
misspelled on purpose) who talked about all the 'treasures' they had found at
flea markets and yard sales. They were a hoot!!!

Friday morning, I helped out in the pre-registration area for next year's event
and then went to class in the afternoon!!! Kay Stanis' silk and metalwork class
had been billed as intermediate, which led me to think I could handle it, even
though I had never done anything like it before.

OY VEY!!!! I got flustered trying to mount the congress cloth perfectly
straight and breathed a huge sigh of relief when someone volunteered to do it
for me. That process took more than 2 hours. After a brief discussion, we
opened a tube of flat silk to practise with ... That stuff was impossible to
handle without it fluffing out and snagging. I never got the hang of how to use
my stiletto laying tool to smooth it without introducing more fluff sigh By
the end of that session, I was ready to admit defeat but since I had paid for
the class and materials, I'd attend the other sessions just to see what the
other techniques might be.

After a brief power nap, my cohorts and I lucked out by quickly snagging a
bellman to help us get boxes and boxes of books from the car to the table in
the merchandise night room. It didn't take all that long to set up so we were
able to stroll around the room to see what else was being sold. Almost everyone
was willing to do early sales and I got some real bargains like a picture frame
painted needlepoint canvas complete with all threads for $5, bags of edmar
threads for $2, and 2 sudberry like boxes for $15/each

Very few people bought our books; they were such classic references that many
already owned them. Despite this, we netted a tidy sum for our scholarship
fund. The PTB (powers that be) will have to decide what to do with them as I
eventually want them out of my garage.

Saturday was really intense class sessions as Kay taught us more about working
with various silks and a really, really, really neat trick for attaching
lengths of cotton cord that would later be covered. After warming our beeswax
in our bras, we ran the cord repeatedly over it to make it slightly sticky.
Then we couched it to the ground and later practised covering it with extremely
closely spaced satin stitches in several threads. The stickiness helped if a
thread had to be slightly nudged in place.

Who knew that trebizond could be stranded? I certainly didn't!!!!

Who knew that 'gold' purl was hollow and attached like beads by running
needle/thread through it? I certainly didn't!!

There's more but I've typed enough. I may never finish the piece or if I do
attempt it, I'll fake the techniques and probably end up with a pretty picture
that'll bear only a slight resemblance to the original design.
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

Trip Report - mostly on-topic - long TerriLee in WA Quilting 4 September 26th 06 02:38 AM
Long arm report Karen Garza Quilting 8 August 8th 06 09:35 PM
O.T. Progress Report N.O. (very long) Olwyn Mary Yarn 4 December 20th 05 03:24 AM
EGA Seminar report - very long fran Needlework 3 September 12th 05 04:27 PM
OT(?) : PMC Class report (long) KDK Beads 13 August 28th 03 08:36 PM