Shops in Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, Reno

Old June 5th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
NDJoan

Default Shops in Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, Reno

On Jun 5, 3:13*pm, wrote:

But the 2010 EGA national seminar is in San Francisco...

Is it a fabulous regional seminar that you're going to?

I looked on their site and June 16-20 is the "Mystery By Design Rocky
Mountain Region Seminar", which sounds right up MM's alley!

I see they're also having something in Fargo later next year. Do you
have to be a member to participate?

Joan

Old June 6th 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

Monica Ferris wrote:

This started with an invitation to speak at the 2010 EGA national
convention in Salt Lake City. Flying is such an enormous hassle
nowadays and I have fond memories of taking a train from San Francisco
to Milwaukee back in the sixties, so I decided to see about train
travel again. I really should have considered the Zephyr out of
Chicago, it's a much more direct route, and the places to stop along
the way are numerous. But I have wanted to take the Empire Builder
for years, and so Empire Builder it is to Seattle. And the Coast
Starlight to Sacramento. And the Zephyr to Salt Lake City. One
problem: There are no bookstores or needlework shops along the train
route in Montana. I'm doing two library stops instead, one in Wolf
Point and another, if things work out, in Havre or Cut Bank. Then
Spokane (bookstore, probably), then Seattle, then Portland, then
Sacramento, then Reno, then Salt Lake. I'm traveling with a friend --
but if any stitchers want to hop aboard for part of the ride, what a
joyous riot that would be! I will also, of course, be thinking how to
turn the journey into a mystery novel.

Accommodations are good, from a roomy seat to a suite with a shower --
though the latter is really costly. What I like is that I can get up
and move around, from my seat to the lounge to the observation car to
the dining car.

Because there's only one train a day, when we get off in, for example
Wolf Point (11:31 am), I'm there until the train comes through again
the next day, so we'll spend that night in a motel.

Mary Monica

So, I'd love a detailed report. DH and I have been considering the
possibility of taking a train trip now he is retired and can take the time.

Also, if you enjoy it, why not plan to come down here on the City of New
Orleans, from Chicago straight down here, paralleling the Mississippi a
good deal of the way, through the other section of the Heartland?

We have all the big box bookstores here, plus a whole bunch of small,
independent, quirky bookstores, and several resident writers including
Julie Smith (whom I haven't seen recently) and Barbara Colley, whom I
don't know but a friend of mine does.

We also have the Tennessee Williams Fest every spring (although,
personally, given my druthers I druther have Tennessee Ernie).

However, if you were coming to that I might even spring for a ticket.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans
Old June 9th 09, 01:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Monica Ferris

On Jun 5, 3:13�pm, wrote:
On Jun 4, 7:12�pm, Monica Ferris wrote:

I am taking a BIG train trip next summer from Minneapolis to Salt Lake
City (to the EGA convention there), with stops along the way,
including in Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, and Reno. �(Obviously, I'm
taking the long way!) �Are there needlework shops I shouldn't miss in
those cities?

Mary Monica Pulver
aka Monica Ferris

But the 2010 EGA national seminar is in San Francisco...

Is it a fabulous regional seminar that you're going to? I've never
been to Salt Lake City...

Carol Sylvester

I know I'm going to Salt Lake City. Maybe it's not EGA? All I know
is that I'm to give a talk in Salt Lake City in June of 2010. Someone
enlighten me!!!

Mary Monica Pulver
aka Monica Ferris
Old June 9th 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Monica Ferris

On Jun 9, 7:58�am, Monica Ferris wrote:
On Jun 5, 3:13 pm, wrote:

On Jun 4, 7:12 pm, Monica Ferris wrote:

I am taking a BIG train trip next summer from Minneapolis to Salt Lake
City (to the EGA convention there), with stops along the way,
including in Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, and Reno. (Obviously, I'm
taking the long way!) Are there needlework shops I shouldn't miss in
those cities?

Mary Monica Pulver
aka Monica Ferris

But the 2010 EGA national seminar is in San Francisco...

Is it a fabulous regional seminar that you're going to? I've never
been to Salt Lake City...

Carol Sylvester

I know I'm going to Salt Lake City. �Maybe it's not EGA? �All I know
is that I'm to give a talk in Salt Lake City in June of 2010. �Someone
enlighten me!!!

Mary Monica Pulver
aka Monica Ferris- Hide quoted text -

It's a state convention, not a national one. My error. Sorry.

Mary Monica Pulver
aka Monica Ferris
Old June 10th 09, 11:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 6/9/09 8:58 AM, "Monica Ferris" wrote:

On Jun 5, 3:13�pm, wrote:
On Jun 4, 7:12�pm, Monica Ferris wrote:

I am taking a BIG train trip next summer from Minneapolis to Salt Lake
City (to the EGA convention there), with stops along the way,
including in Seattle, Portland, Sacramento, and Reno. �(Obviously, I'm
taking the long way!) �Are there needlework shops I shouldn't miss in
those cities?

Mary Monica Pulver
aka Monica Ferris

But the 2010 EGA national seminar is in San Francisco...

Is it a fabulous regional seminar that you're going to? I've never
been to Salt Lake City...

Carol Sylvester

I know I'm going to Salt Lake City. Maybe it's not EGA? All I know
is that I'm to give a talk in Salt Lake City in June of 2010. Someone
enlighten me!!!

Mary Monica Pulver
aka Monica Ferris

Umm, Perhaps it is this Regional (not National) EGA Seminar:
Jun 16-20 Salt Lake City, UT
Mystery By Design Rocky Mountain Region Seminar

This web site has the EGA meetings calendar - WRT Regional & National
Seminars:
http://www.egausa.org/html/ega_calendar.html

And of course, ANG has it's seminars info:
Future Nationals -
Columbus, Ohio, October 1-8, 2010
San Antonio, Texas, August 26 – September 3, 2011

And this year:
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, August 28 - September 4, 2009

I've been to Salt Lake - it's definitely beautiful. Never been to Milwaukee
- but, hey - I'm going for the stitching?

Are you thinking of setting a novel at a Seminar? There really is lots
going on - between classes, vendors, old friends, new friends, professional
friendships - hidden rivalries..... I always have a great time, and learn
lots. I could imagine Betsy going to EGA - at least Regional - or even
National - to talk about being an LNS owner cum detective - imagine the
intrique. And of course she'd have to take some staff....

Ellice in No VA

Old June 13th 09, 12:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

Monica Ferris wrote:
On Jun 4, 10:38�pm, Tia Mary wrote:
Monica Ferris wrote:
[...]

Sacra This started with an invitation to speak at the 2010 EGA national
convention in Salt Lake City. Flying is such an enormous hassle
nowadays and I have fond memories of taking a train from San Francisco
tmento, then Reno, then Salt Lake. I'm traveling with a friend --
but if any stitchers want to hop aboard for part of the ride, what a
joyous riot that would be! I will also, of course, be thinking how to
turn the journey into a mystery novel.

Accommodations are good, from a roomy seat to a suite with a shower --
though the latter is really costly. What I like is that I can get up
and move around, from my seat to the lounge to the observation car to
the dining car.

Because there's only one train a day, when we get off in, for example
Wolf Point (11:31 am), I'm there until the train comes through again
the next day, so we'll spend that night in a motel.

Mary Monica

Hello Mary Monica,

I truly;y cannot help you with shops; we were up in that part of the
world about three years ago for the summer in our RV. We pretty much
followed Rte 2 across, which was also the Railroad route.

The scenery is magnificent; we stayed at a campground just south of
Glacier Park, and watched the train take this wonderful trip on the side
of the mountains.

We decided that when the day came we couldn't RV it ( cost or age) the
train would be the way to go.

I remember as a young Brit, in the early 50s taking the train from
France across to Innsbruck, Austria. It was marvelous.

Enjoy, and have fun. Incidentally, if I remember Cut Bank accurately (
the intersection of I-15 and US2), it was a small town. Those are the
places which are great to explore.

keep writing, I have enjoyed your books, and posts, since Day 1

Gillian
Old June 13th 09, 07:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cathy from KY in CA

On Jun 5, 3:13 pm, wrote:

[...]

Hey Monica Ferris!!

I have read all your books except the latest......could you start
writing at least one a month??
I LOVE Betsy and her gang!! If her shop was in my town, I would have
to quit work so I could hang
there 24/7!!

Please come to EGA National Seminar in San Francisco next year....so I
can meet you!!

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA

Seattle shops Donna D. Needlework 1 July 21st 07 04:24 PM
embroidery shops in Seattle / Western Washington? greenvelvetsofa Needlework 9 May 14th 05 01:16 AM
Reno Elizabeth Wilson Quilting 7 January 31st 05 04:04 AM
Stitch in Time in Reno or other shops? Jenn Needlework 4 August 25th 04 06:03 AM
ANG 2004 Reno Seminar Jeanine3 Needlework 7 February 21st 04 09:12 PM