Traveling tea cozy

Old May 29th 09, 06:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

Default Traveling tea cozy

On 5/28/09 12:32 PM, "Gillian Murray" wrote:

Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:
ellice wrote:
On 5/28/09 10:54 AM, "anne" wrote:

says...
So who wants in?

And who will make the tea cozy? I would, but my sewing machine is
deader
than a door nail.
Brain is sort of mushy -- didn't Donna say something to the effect
that she
had a cozy that could make the rounds? Or maybe she meant that she
had Dianne's
design that someone could stitch

I'm in for hosting

Well, Donna has the stitched cozy - don't know if she's sharing it
around,
though - IIRC - it is on a white ground....

Ellice

IMHO a "proper" tea cozy should be knitted not sewn

Right on, Bruce. One rarely saw sewn ones when I lived in UK, other than
in gift shops. To be honest, though I don't remember buying them, my
mother and I always knitted them.

Gill

Well - just to let you know - this was bought in 1984 in John Lewis - so
there!!!!

Ellice

Old May 29th 09, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 5/29/09 12:04 PM, " wrote:

On May 29, 8:26*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
On 5/29/09 8:58 AM, in article
,

--
another anne, add ingers to reply

Yes. I have stitched Dianne's tea cozy and am offering it up for
traveling.

You didn't misremember.

Donna in Virginia

Are sure you'd want to let us use such a lovely piece?

Another question - who has a website to track the piece with pictures and
such

Though I could take this opportunity to force myself to learn a little html-

We could start another Yahoo group to post the pictures and
comments. . .

linda

Or just expand the purview of the SAL group - after all - this could be the
"Tea Along" subset of the SAL. Why add yet another yahoo group?

Ellice

Old May 29th 09, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Gillian Murray

ellice wrote:
On 5/28/09 10:54 AM, "anne" wrote:

[...]

Ah, the modern times, eh? I left UK initially in 1961, and Mum and I did
knit them then. I did buy a pretty fabric one, in a tartan, when we were
stationed in Scotland, but that was in a gift shop which catered to
Americans and tourists. That was a great three-year tour.

Gill
Old May 29th 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Olwyn Mary

Dawne Peterson wrote:
"Olwyn Mary" wrote
Dawne Peterson wrote:

"Bruce Fletcher wrote

IMHO a "proper" tea cozy should be knitted not sewn
--

I dunno--I have a red plaid one that was my Grandma's that is extremely
proper. It even has a tidy little pocket, with a thistle on it (the

Dawne

The pocket is meant to hold a small, matching potholder with which to hold
the teapot handle if it is not insulated.

It would be a small potholder, as the pocket is very small. In any event,
it has long since disappeared. Would any particular shape be appropriate
for such a little holder--it would be fun to make one for it some day.

Dawne

Oh dear - how do I explain this without being able to draw it. I'll
try. The tartan tea cosy is frequently accompanied by a very small
version of a Scotsman's cap - rather like a U.S. serviceman's cap, if
you know what I mean. an envelope with one open long side, and the
closed ends slightly curved at each end.

The little cap is supposed to fit over the teapot handle.

________________
\______________/

like this, with the longer side being open, and the short side is
slipped into the pocket for storage.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans
Old May 29th 09, 09:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

ellice wrote:
On 5/28/09 12:01 PM, "Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)"
wrote:
IMHO a "proper" tea cozy should be knitted not sewn

Phhhhhhhfffffftttttt! Point is to keep the pot warm - and cozy!

In the UK the posh folk might have had some sort of quilted, padded tea
cosy but the traditional tea cosy in the UK was invariably home-knitted.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK
Old May 30th 09, 04:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"Olwyn Mary" wrote .
Dawne Peterson wrote:
"Olwyn Mary" wrote
Dawne Peterson wrote:

"Bruce Fletcher wrote

[...]

I am considerably more familiar with what a Scotman's cap looks like than
what a US serviceman's looks like, there being more pipebands than US
military here in Saskatchewan (VBG). I will have to measure up the little
pocket and see what size would work. Thanks for the description.

Dawne

Old May 30th 09, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dawne Peterson

"Bruce Fletcher wrote wrote:
On May 28, 12:32 pm, Gillian Murray wrote:
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply) wrote:

IMHO a "proper" tea cozy should be knitted not sewn
Right on, Bruce. One rarely saw sewn ones when I lived in UK, other than
in gift shops. To be honest, though I don't remember buying them, my
mother and I always knitted them.

Knitted? Really?

*wanders off to look for cozy patterns"

Elizabeth

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/homegarden/homemaking/crafts/articles/0,,695942_710899,00.html
--

The knitted tea cosy was a staple of church bazaars here for ages (found on
the same stall as the crocheted poodle to cover the toilet paper roll). I

Dawne

I thought they said TEA cozy, not TREE cozy! Mystified One[_2_] Yarn 1 March 15th 08 03:55 PM
apple cozy Millie James Yarn 1 December 12th 07 02:12 PM
QI tea cozy Val Quilting 7 November 14th 07 06:32 PM
OT - calling Cozy Queen of Squishies Quilting 0 January 14th 04 11:56 PM
Tea Cozy Shirley Luton Yarn 14 November 29th 03 08:37 PM