HMS Daring Quilt

Old August 19th 06, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Eddie

Default HMS Daring Quilt

Because I am making a quilt of a ship's superstructure the pieces of it will
have to be fairly exact. To say the least my male sewing is not that small.
:-)))

Sue has ben showing me a technique with freezing paper that will ensure my
edges are strictly upheld to. ;-))

Hope to send a few pictures of my tracing of the ship to an internet site to
enable you ladies to give me some advice.

See you at the Selsey Quilt show?? :-))

Newbie Eddie
RCTQ
A Quilter's Trip
Around the World

Old August 19th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy in NS

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 16:26:46 +0100, "Eddie"
wrote:

Hope to send a few pictures of my tracing of the ship to an internet site to
enable you ladies to give me some advice.

I cannot wait to see this, Eddie. I've worked with the
Canadian Coast Guard, and grew up in a mining/shipping
community. Those large ships hold a special place with me.
Good luck!

Nancy in NS
http://community.webshots.com/user/loves2quilt
Old August 19th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Looking forward to seeing it, Eddie.
I'm picturing a warship in my mind; and, what with the radar and all
those other fiddly bits, this is going to be a triumph.
Just had a thought, if you mean your hand sewing stitches are not small,
perhaps you could plan - at this early stage even - where your quilting
lines will go. If you can design your quilting so that it will 'mostly'
go over where your stitching on sewing is, you won't have to worry.
Another thing I was told once by a teacher who does great work: if your
stitches are going to show anyway (even small applique stitches do
usually show), you could do a running stitch type of applique. That way
you could force yourself! to make the stitches on the top really small,
but the ones underneath could be your usual size. That would be easier
than trying to do a small hemming type stitch for the applique.
..
In message , Eddie
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 21st 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Eddie

A tracing of my future quilt can be viewed at:

=ph

Says he hopefully!! :-))

Newbie Eddie

Old August 21st 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Oh, how exciting Eddie. Thanks for thinking of sharing the sketch. So,
how many different shades of grey fabric have you got!!!

You can make a splash with the sea and the sky. One quilt I did was
almost all green! (a landscape - so it would be!). So, I did an evening
sky, just so that I could introduce some gorgeous colours into it. You
will have great fun with this. I thought the fiddliest bits might be
the radar g

All the best with the venture.
..
In message , Eddie
writes
A tracing of my future quilt can be viewed at:

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/edw...com/detail?.di
r=/c60bre2&.dnm=dc8fre2.jpg&.src=ph

Says he hopefully!! :-))

Newbie Eddie

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 21st 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Eddie

There shades of grey and some black. We have slightly overcast, light blue
sky and a calm., blue sea. Already machine stitched together those two
fabrics together.

As you can see from the sketch, there are loads of angles. We are looking at
Sue's technique using freezer paper. Cut the freezer paper and press out
the fabric, with edge around it to make each piece prior to sewing.

Newbie Eddie
=ph

Old August 21st 06, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Eddie" wrote:

A tracing of my future quilt can be viewed at:

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/edw...tail?.dir=/c60
bre2&.dnm=dc8fre2.jpg&.src=ph

Says he hopefully!! :-))

Newbie Eddie

Oh my, Eddie! That's quite a detailed project! I can't wait to see the
fabric version!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 22nd 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Very impressive! We're all hopeful too :-)
Is that helicopter in the line of fire? (Good -can't stand them myself, way
too noisy.)
Roberta in D

Old August 22nd 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Darn it, I can't find the photo. I go to the link site and it tells me
"no photo available". But from what the others are saying, it must be
grand and I can't wait to see it all finished.
Sunny