SCORE for me! (and a RAW question)

Old November 13th 03, 07:25 AM
Kyla

Default SCORE for me! (and a RAW question)

I finally found a bead shop close to me today (after searching for 2yrs!).
They had really GOOD prices on some things, and really BAD prices on others;
luckily, the expensive stuff was so ridiculously high, it was obvious;o) I
got out of there only spending $40, and I have used all but three of the
beads already (the three were the most amazing big faceted red coral
things--still don't know what I will do with them, but couldn't pass 'em up
at $0.45 a piece!)

They sell Swarovskis for nine cents a piece, which is about what I can find
them for online (after shipping)....this is better for me, though, because
the cheaper online crystal places require a license. This place sells
wholesale to the public (just the crystals, not other beads), and discounts
30% when you buy more than a gross! I'm so stoked)

Now, a question: I bought a gross of bicones to make some of those RAW
bracelets I saw selling at Nordstrom for $180. I've never done RAW before,
but it looks easy enough. I just want to know, is the one-needle method
faster than the two-needle method, or vice versa? Or is it a personal thing
(different for different people)? And how many beads does it take to make
one? Will a gross be enough? I got 4mm bicones, because that's what the
Nordstrom bracelet used;o)

Oh! I've got one more! Why are there so many different kinds of Jasper?
Are they all real, or like jade (meaning a lot of jade is dyed other-stone)?
I couldn't figure it out, because some jasper was really expensive, and some
was really cheap (I got cool zebra jasper for only eight cents per bead).

--
Kyla

Old November 13th 03, 08:12 AM
meijhana

KYLA!!!!

Look at my post on the Swarovski trip I am making on Friday. I can increase
your load multiple times! I can get the bracelets of 4mm bicones for $2,
which means about 4.2 cents. The funny thing is, that's the same price the
4mm rounds will be, also!

And the 6mm rounds were $3/~32 pcs, which worked out to about 9.4 cents each
(rol's prices were 16cents).

These also include AB, I found AB2x's, "football", "nailheads", gads, TONS
of them.

Okay, forgive me for being excited!

Mary

--
Joy multiplies when it is shared among friends, but grief diminishes with
every division. That is life.
m...

Old November 13th 03, 07:07 PM
Dr. Sooz

I've never done RAW before,
but it looks easy enough. I just want to know, is the one-needle method
faster than the two-needle method, or vice versa? Or is it a personal thing
(different for different people)?

I thinnk it must be different for different people, or nobody would do the
2-needle thing. I hated 2-needle, myself. It drove me crazy. Then someone
showed me one-needle, and the heavens parted and angels sang.

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old November 13th 03, 07:38 PM
marie

Does anyone have a realy simple pattern to follow for RAW? I'm the type of
person who likes to be SHOWN but I don't know anyone who does this sort of
work. I would love to learn how ...
marie~
"For what are we without hope in our hearts..." Bruce Springsteen
Old November 13th 03, 11:00 PM
JL Amerson

Kyla,

Assuming you are talking about a single row of RAW and 4mm bicones.........
I use a 2-strand clasp, have a 6½" wrist, and usually need 88 or 91
crystals. It depends on my tension and the type of beading line I use. I
find I have a tighter tension with doubled Nymo (B) and use more crystals
than if I use Fireline or plain ole' fishing line. Also, if I use a 1-strand
clasp, I use 2 less crystals. I usually figure on just under 100 crystals
for a bracelet. That gives me a few extra for my bead soup. Now if you have
a larger wrist, it will take a few more crystals. Figure on 10 extra
crystals per inch of bracelet.

Also, I use a single needle because that's the way I was taught. It means
more passes thru the crystals so you get a sturdier bracelet but there's
nothing to stop you from using the two-needle method and work it up and
back.

Good luck and enjoy your addiction............

"Kyla" wrote in message
m...
I finally found a bead shop close to me today (after searching for 2yrs!).

(snip)

Old November 14th 03, 02:22 AM
Marissa Undercofler

I am a one needle person too. I haven't tried two and frankly don't care to.
I am happy with one needle raw...

Marissa

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message

*snipped*
I thinnk it must be different for different people, or nobody would do the
2-needle thing. I hated 2-needle, myself. It drove me crazy. Then

someone
showed me one-needle, and the heavens parted and angels sang.

~~
Sooz
-------
"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Pricing Question Lisa Kisner Beads 6 September 30th 03 11:14 AM
de-lurking with a color question Jennifer Moore Beads 8 August 16th 03 09:42 PM
Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Newbie with a question Colette Beads 8 August 5th 03 05:10 PM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM