Washing Soda?

Old August 30th 11, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
barnyowl[_2_]

Default Washing Soda?

I'm wondering whether the use of washing soda is beneficial? I've been
reading an ad for a natural product called "Nellie's" - caught my eye
because that was my Mum's name and is also my middle name. It claims that
only 1tblsp per washload does the job of regular detergent, is
hypo-allergenic, better for sensitive skin, the environment, and all the
other good things. There is a good price on the product through Costco
right now - my question: does anyone here use soda instead of detergent and
what is the general opinion? Barnyowl

Old August 30th 11, 07:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Aug 30, 12:21*pm, "barnyowl" wrote:
I'm wondering whether the use of washing soda is beneficial? *I've been
reading an ad for a natural product called "Nellie's" - caught my eye
because that was my Mum's name and is also my middle name. *It claims that
only 1tblsp per washload does the job of regular detergent, is
hypo-allergenic, better for sensitive skin, the environment, and all the
other good things. *There is a good price on the product through Costco
right now - my question: *does anyone here use soda instead of detergent and
what is the general opinion? *Barnyowl

I've not used instead of detergent but in addition to. I never heard
of it as a stand alone product. We have very 'hard' water and it is
supposed to break down the minerals to allow the detergent to work
better. I do think it helps from that perspective. As to
quantity...not sure if it's the manufacturer trying to sell more of
it's own product but the package directions say 1/2 cup per laundry
load. I have a very larger washer (can fit full set of king sheets in
one load) so have a tendency to be a bit heavy handed with both the
washing soda and detergent. I know that doesn't answer your questions
but it's my experience. Hope someone is better able to answer your
questions.

Kim in NJ
Old August 30th 11, 09:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:07:07 -0700, AuntK wrote:

On Aug 30, 12:21Â*pm, "barnyowl" wrote:
I'm wondering whether the use of washing soda is beneficial? Â*I've been
reading an ad for a natural product called "Nellie's" - caught my eye
because that was my Mum's name and is also my middle name. Â*It claims
that only 1tblsp per washload does the job of regular detergent, is
hypo-allergenic, better for sensitive skin, the environment, and all
the other good things. Â*There is a good price on the product through
Costco right now - my question: Â*does anyone here use soda instead of
detergent and what is the general opinion? Â*Barnyowl

I've not used instead of detergent but in addition to. I never heard of
it as a stand alone product. We have very 'hard' water and it is
supposed to break down the minerals to allow the detergent to work
better. I do think it helps from that perspective. As to
quantity...not sure if it's the manufacturer trying to sell more of it's
own product but the package directions say 1/2 cup per laundry load. I
have a very larger washer (can fit full set of king sheets in one load)
so have a tendency to be a bit heavy handed with both the washing soda
and detergent. I know that doesn't answer your questions but it's my
experience. Hope someone is better able to answer your questions.

I buy the stuff 25 or 50 pounds at a go from a swimming pool supply place.
They use it in pools as a "water conditioner" and PH adjuster.
I use it in dying, it is naught but soda ash (sodium carbonate), and in
laundry.
It does make a difference in the wash. Like Kim I use about a half cup
to a large load.

I have been told by a number of people that laundry detergent is not
essential to clean laundry if you are using a machine. I figure that
they do not have a 12 year old boy or a mad scientist to wash up after.

Oh, laundry soda is also the absolute kill for cleaning coffee makers.
About a tablespoon dissolved in a pot of water does the trick. It works
ever so much better than vinegar, and has the added benefit of not making
the kitchen smell like steamed pickles.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 1st 11, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

"barnyowl" wrote in message
I'm wondering whether the use of washing soda is beneficial? I've been
reading an ad for a natural product called "Nellie's" - caught my eye
because that was my Mum's name and is also my middle name. It claims that
only 1tblsp per washload does the job of regular detergent, is
hypo-allergenic, better for sensitive skin, the environment, and all the
other good things. There is a good price on the product through Costco
right now - my question: does anyone here use soda instead of detergent
and what is the general opinion? Barnyowl

I have a friend who mixes her own detergent with the things Susan talked
about, and she brags how much cheaper it is and it cleans great. She has 2
childrem. I buy the Sears brand detergent when it is on sale for 1/2 price
and use slightly less than their scoop full for a big washing machine. My
DH works at a lawm mower shop (wears uniforms) but he figures he can do our
yard work and I can clean anything he is wearing. I figure my cost for the
1/2 price Sears detergent is about 50c a load and it is VERY good.
I sometimes add baking soda. I use it to clean with, and when it gets old I
throw it in the wash.
Barbara in SC

soda can craft paulena General Crafting 0 May 1st 06 04:50 PM
soda ash Terbear Quilting 3 October 23rd 05 11:17 AM
soda kiln Heather Graham Pottery 2 January 28th 04 12:40 AM
Baking Soda Beads starlia Beads 11 September 9th 03 09:35 PM
Baking Soda Beads ... bijoulune Beads 4 September 9th 03 03:21 AM