Other newbie questions :)

Old June 10th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Other newbie questions :)

Addie Otto wrote:
Tracey wrote:

snip

Third question. Right now, I have two scroll frames. The exact
dimensions, I forget, but the smaller one holds the fabric for a
project that fits an 8X10 frame just perfectly, no scrolling required.
The other is bigger and will hold the fabric for a project that fits
in an 11X14 frame but scrolling is required. I have a little nest
configured on my couch for when I'm doing a project. It's
a wraparound couch, so I have plenty of pillows to support my body
and even a couple of pillows to support my left arm (the one I use to
hold the frame.) While I probably won't invest in any expensive
free-standing frames until I find out if this is one of my 'here
today, gone in six months' hobbies, is there any other type of frame
that is recommended? I've seen lap frames, I guess you would call
them, advertised for 30-40 dollars but can't really see how they're
'lap frames' with straight bars across the bottom. Seems they would
hurt. :P

TIA Tracey

I can certainly agree with your opinion of how most lap stands appear. I
felt the same a couple of years ago when I went looking for one to help
me stitch a huge x-stitch project. I searched a lot on line and finally
found one by American Dream Products (NAYY) that doesn't have something
you sit on (this was something I refused to involve myself with!) If you
go to http://www.adp-usa.com/products.htm#Lap%20Frames and scroll down
to the Tomorrow's Treasures Lap stand, you will see what I found. I
love it and use it for about half of my projects. It sits on either
side of me, (or if it's too wide for my chair, on the arms of the chair)
and is fairly light weight to move aside. I found mine on eBay and it
came with several scrolls. I, like Tegan, have learned to stitch
2-handed and it saves me a lot of time. One day I think I would
still like a free-standing floor stand, but not for a while...besides my
birdie would probably think it was a perch!

Addie

That looks like something I would like and I'll put it on my list
(birthday is coming up in a couple of months!) Thanks!

Tracey

Old June 10th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tracey wrote:

You're talking about taping it like for a hurricane except for taping
it all, not just an X? Directly on the glass? Isn't that a pain for
the recipient to clean?

Tracey

Another option is to ship it without glass and have the recipient go to
a framing shop for a piece of glass to fit.

--
Karen C - California

Finished 4/8/06 - needlepoint calendar canvas for June
WIP: Getting all the UFOs done, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Editor/Proofreader http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old June 10th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tracey said
You're talking about taping it like for a hurricane except for taping
it all, not just an X? Directly on the glass? Isn't that a pain for
the recipient to clean?

When I send a piece that has glass, I usually cover the glass with several
layers of newspaper and then wrap the thing in an old towel. I try to fill
either the envelop or box with bunched up newspaper so the project won't move
around. Finally, even if it might not do any good, I write Fragile in several
places.

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old June 11th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 18:38:26 GMT, Tracey wrote:

To paraphrase Lynyrd Skynyrd, I've been makin' some plans for later on
this year :P and I have a few questions. First, some details on my
plans. (Oh, yeah, this is all crosstitch with maybe a few other
stitches thrown in.)

I have projects that I have designated as Christmas presents. Most are
regular, simple (i.e., no beads, bells or whistles) projects suitable
for framing (and I will frame them even though I will be nervous about
whether they will make it through the shipping/mailing process with
intact glass.) I plan on using Aida cloth and DMC floss for the most
part.

First question. Is it required to prewash floss before use? At least
for items that are meant to be framed with glass? I understand that
if I were to make a pillow or another item that has a higher chance
of getting dirty that prewashing will probably be recommended but
I'm not sure if the prewashing is warranted for framed/glassed in
projects.

Just wash the finished project before framing it.

Second question. So far, I've only done prepackaged kits and I'm
NOT thrilled at all with the gold metallic threads that come with
those kits. I don't like working with them, I don't like the way
they bunch up and twist and, even though I think I work with
pretty short lengths, they still sometimes fray. I haven't found a
store here yet that carries the Kreinik line but would the thinner
braids be a suitable substitute for the metallic threads? Or (and
this would be better, for me at least, since I have already found
sources for these) are the problems I've been having not found with
DMC metallic flosses?

Every metallic I've used has frayed terribly. I love the look, but
really hate stitching with it.

[...]

I've been using scroll frames without a stand for years. I just prop
opposing sides of the scroll frame on one knee, or a pillow, or the
couch arm rest, or whatever is handy. I've also used embroidery
hoops for smaller projects too.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old June 13th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Addie Otto wrote:
Tracey wrote:

[...]

I had checked out the website you told me about and decided that a
price tag of $65.00 with shipping added on was a little too much to
spend right now. But I lucked out and ended up winning a bid on eBay
for a total (auction and shipping) of $39.95. :P Thanks much!

Tracey

Old June 13th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tracey wrote:

Addie Otto wrote:
Tracey wrote:

[...]

I think that's how I got mine too!!

Addie
Old June 14th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

I recommend two products to help with metallics. The first is Thread
Heaven. Put one end of your thread on the product, hold down with a
finger, and pull the entire length across the product to give is a light
coating. This will help keep the thread from tangling up while you
work. Secondly, thread your needle as usual and then apply a dot of
Fray Check to the end of the metallic strand. Let it dry before working
with it. That little bit of thread will be cut off when you finish off
the strand anyway, so you might as well do what you can to make it hold
out until the end!

Tracey wrote:
Second question. So far, I've only done prepackaged kits and I'm
NOT thrilled at all with the gold metallic threads that come with
those kits. I don't like working with them, I don't like the way
they bunch up and twist and, even though I think I work with
pretty short lengths, they still sometimes fray. I haven't found a
store here yet that carries the Kreinik line but would the thinner
braids be a suitable substitute for the metallic threads? Or (and
this would be better, for me at least, since I have already found
sources for these) are the problems I've been having not found with
DMC metallic flosses?

--
Brenda
Tickler of Chuzzles
Old June 15th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Debra wrote:

I've been using scroll frames without a stand for years. I just prop
opposing sides of the scroll frame on one knee, or a pillow, or the
couch arm rest, or whatever is handy. I've also used embroidery
hoops for smaller projects too.

Yes, that's what I've been doing so far. Right now, I've got 3
different scroll frames but they're of cheap wood, not sanded
well and already seem a bit loosey-goosey. We have a semi-circular
couch and I've built up a little 'nest' of pillows to support me
and the arm that holds the frame so I'm thinking a stand-type of
frame will help out on my 'OMG! My DVR is at 99% capacity! I must
watch 3 or 4 of these shows so I can record MORE shows!' nights. :P

Tracey

Old June 15th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Brenda Lewis wrote:
I recommend two products to help with metallics. The first is Thread
Heaven. Put one end of your thread on the product, hold down with a
finger, and pull the entire length across the product to give is a light
coating. This will help keep the thread from tangling up while you
work. Secondly, thread your needle as usual and then apply a dot of
Fray Check to the end of the metallic strand. Let it dry before working
with it. That little bit of thread will be cut off when you finish off
the strand anyway, so you might as well do what you can to make it hold
out until the end!

Ah, those sound like very good things. I'll have to start looking
for them. Thanks!

Tracey

Old June 16th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Tracey wrote:

Have you ever seen them in concert? A few years ago, I was lucky
enough to see The Who in a very small venue (once they block off
the 'bad' seats, it probably holds ~5000 people) and I'm not
ashamed to admit that I was teary-eyed through a big part of
the concert. I was just so amazed that, after, uhm, let's just
say more than a couple of decades :P of listening to their
music, I actually got to see them in person.

I was that way with finally getting to see Sting a few years ago.
Maudlin as it will sound, the one thing that always makes me teary at
the concerts I manage to attend these days is that most of them are
bands that my SO introduced me to and he passed away before getting to
see most of them. I can't tell you how silly I felt (after the fact, of
course) boo-hooing when I got to hear Gregg Allman sing "I'm No
Angel".. When I drug a much younger coworker with me to see Leon
Russell I can't begin to tell you how many tissues I went through! LOL

This will be my first shot at seeing LS, and I've just found out that
there's a "regular" that comes into the truckstop/convenience store
where I'm working now that does sound mixing for quite a few of the
local concert venues. We're working on some sort of "arrangement" for
tickets.. He had me literally whimpering when he talked about Van Zant
and 38 Special being on the same venue! I came close to crying then,
too! LOL

And about stitching.. you'd be surprised how easily a floor stand can
be incorporated into regular tv viewing habits! Use the "right" fabric
and you can almost literally see through it, plus, if you really MUST
watch a scene, you can (depending on how the stand is built) peek over
the top of the scroll frame. I have a GripIt Legend that works really
well, and is light weight enough that it's easy to move out of the way.
I do think the bird would be troublesome, though. Chen Li (my cat)
thinks the knobs on the frames are there simply for her rubbing
pleasure.

Tegan

And thanks for the comments. I think I've got a good setup
myself since I can see the TV and catch up on my DVR list
and all of the series that I can't seem to stop buying in
DVD format. :P Any kind of free-standing frame would have
to be put elsewhere.

Tracey