a good quilt week

Old December 16th 03, 03:18 AM
Pat in Virginia

Default a good quilt week

Last week was hectic but fun! I belong to two quilt
organizations, a book club, and a county volunteer group. ALL had
their December meetings last week and all were 'holiday
celebrations' (read snack time!)

Early in the week I caught up with three swap blocks and one BOM.
I made two applique blocks and two pieced blocks. It was fun to
spend concentrated time in my sewing room, after a long dry
spell.

At the Night Chapter of the Guild on Tuesday, I won one of the
two special December prizes, a tote bag pattern. Then I won a
door prize, which was a sample of a quilt presentation journal.
There is a pattern for this somewhere. The idea is you make the
cover to match the special quilt, then fill the pages with the
story of making the quilt.

On Wednesday night my small group had the end of year
block-a-month drawings for *every* month of 2003. There area
about 19 members, and there were 13 opportunities. (One month we
did an extra, optional, set.) I contributed to each month's
regular BOM, so the odds were good. I won a set of 15 Log Cabin
Blocks. These were quite unusual. Instead of a light side and a
dark side, we used a wide variety of flowery light and medium
prints placed at random. I will probably add a few blocks and
complete this as either a table topper or a baby quilt.

We also received the Brown Bag Exchange Projects that we started
in January. My theme was directed by the cheerful focal fabric I
enclosed in the bag. I asked for small blocks related in color
and theme to that fabric, which I will include in the border I
think. The fabric is super ... it is a bright pastel with the
look of a seaside village. Kris helped me pick it out last
December in G Street Fabric. Well .... the collection of blocks
the other quilters made for me is absolutely stunning. I will
have a blast putting this WH together.

On Friday I went to the Day Chapter Meeting, but did not win
anything. It was fun anyhow.

Now I am preparing for the Holidays. Just ordered a few gifts to
be sent directly to the recipients. Tomorrow DDIL and I will do
our Annual Shopping Spree. That is fun. Maybe I will finish
decorating the house tomorrow, except for the tree. I guess that
will get finished Wednesday. Or maybe Thursday? Some things
get
done on time, some are late, some get canceled. I just do what I
can do and don't fret or stress over it. Meantime, I do enjoy
the holiday. I hope you do too!

But I *DO* put out the Christmas quilts and WH, that's a given!

PAT in VA/USA
PS: I also took my Final Exam and came out with an A for the
Course ... A is the Top! I am bragging and Grinning!

Old December 16th 03, 11:46 AM
AliceW

What a great quilty week! I am so very jealous! Glad you enjoyed it.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
www.ourcyberfamily.us

Old December 16th 03, 11:58 AM
frood

Sounds like great fun! I can't wait to see what you do with the Brown Bag
Exchange. But, I didn't read anything about cutting squares... ;-)

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old December 16th 03, 01:28 PM
Pat in Virginia

Glad you mentioned that Wendy, as I have an excuse to add to my
tale! At some point I went to beauty shop for a touch up and
browsed the Goodwill Thrift Store next to it. I found two lovely
pieces of cotton, each about 1/2 yard, for $.50 each! One has sea
shells and may work in the Seaside Village WH. The other one is
a really kewl Alexander Henry in a novelty theme print. I can't
describe it now as I plan to send some of it to a mutual RCTQ
friend and that would let the Cowboy out of the bag. I will cut
a charm square of it too, just as soon as I get a round tuit!
PAT in VA/USA

Old December 16th 03, 10:39 PM
Pat in Virginia

Nann:
I had some hot (non alcoholic)apple cider and chocolate cake. Oh,
did you mean what books? 8-)

The book club had a gift exchange of books. I Received a soft
cover novel by Katharine Weber, The Music Lesson. I am saving it
for traveling as it is small enough to slip into a purse. It
hink I will like th is book.

The discussion was about two short books we'd all read last
month. One is Grisham's Skipping Christmas and the other is a
Vreeland book with a titile that escapes me, but may have
something to do with Blue Hyacinths. That is an excellent
collection of stories based on a fictitious painting produced by
the great Dutch painter Vermeer. It was a good discussion.
Everyone enjoyed the book, but we each had different favorite
story. Try it, you'll like it!

PAT in VA/USA

Old December 16th 03, 10:42 PM
Pat in Virginia

Nann:
I had some hot (non alcoholic) apple cider and chocolate cake.
Oh,
did you mean what books? 8-)

The book club had a gift exchange of books. I Received a soft
cover novel by Katharine Weber, The Music Lesson. I am saving it
for traveling as it is small enough to slip into a purse. I
think I will like this book, judging from the jacket summary.

The discussion was about two short books we'd all read last
month. One is Grisham's Skipping Christmas and the other is a
Vreeland book with a title that escapes me, but may have