variegated yarn

Old March 6th 04, 03:42 AM
Jimmie Robinson

Default variegated yarn

I want to copy the needlepoint seat on an antique chair. Part of the
background appears to be worked in variegated yarn in shades of brown and
bronze. Can anybody tell me if there is such a thing as variegated persian
or tapestry yarn? Peggy ( a long-time lurker who has asked for help from
this newsgroup several times before and has always rec'd helpful answers )

Old March 6th 04, 04:25 AM
Boohoo1971

Can anybody tell me if there is such a thing as variegated persian
or tapestry yarn? BRBR
I don't know if there is variegated yarn, but I have combined two or more
threads of crewel yarn of different colors to make a tweed look in np. Boo
Old March 6th 04, 04:28 PM
Gillian Murray

According to my Organised Expressions, Paternayan (sp?) have a variegated
persian yarn in several shades. Maybe you can check on their website, if
they have one.

Gillian

Old March 8th 04, 03:09 AM
Ellice

On 3/6/04 11:28 AM,"Gillian Murray" posted:

According to my Organised Expressions, Paternayan (sp?) have a variegated
persian yarn in several shades. Maybe you can check on their website, if
they have one.

Paternayan definitely comes in some variegated shades. Most of them, IIRC,
are subtly variegated. Frequently people will tweed their yarn - combining
strands of different color to get a kind of shaded look.

Also, Gumnuts yarn comes in variegated, and subtly shaded colors. You'd have
to look at the size, it's definitely more expensive than Paternayan, but
very, very nice. I believe it's a crewel yarn weight, but you could use
multiple strands. Here is the link to the distributor for them in the US,
Custom House.
http://members.aol.com/CustomHous/gumnut/gumyarns.html

Anyone else interested, it's got lots of info on their different yarns,
silks, etc. Lovely stuff, IMHO.

Ellice