Garage Sale Needlework

Old July 23rd 03, 09:29 AM
Lula

Default Garage Sale Needlework

A Geeez whiz moment......caught a segment on HG-TV Tuesday night,
believe the program is titled Decorating Cents.

Anyway.....the interior designer was using a piece of needlework that
was once a lovely Elsa Williams needlework design sold in The Stitchery
catalog during the late 70's or early 80's that was known as the Spanish
Rider (I think)......a large piece of lovely linen to embroidered using
Elsa Williams black wool yarn......I thought it was quite elegant and
recall spending quite a few dollars on that kit back then......certainly
lots more than five dollars!

So here it is shown on national television and annouced as this lovely
piece of hand embroidery picked up at a yard sale for "only" five
dollars!!!
The whole piece is then shown on screen.......then the next shot it has
been cut up and made into two decorator pillows!

Oh well......at least they appreciated the stitchery but the worse part
is I STILL have that kit unfinished in a trunk full of such projects
from my beginner stitching days......just seemed weird to see a once and
still favored needlework project sold for five dollars completely
finished and now cut up as a "cheap" decorator thrill!
---
Lula
http://www.woolydream.com
Needlework Adventures
Old July 23rd 03, 04:38 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I'm with Cheryl. I may skip over to HG-TV and write them:
Needleworkers don't appreciate your cutting up time consuming and highly
skilled work for a "trend" by designers who should know better.
grin
Dianne

Old July 23rd 03, 10:19 PM
xray_momma

I agree with you both. I recently went to a huge rummage sale. At the end
of a three day sale, I walked into a tent looking for my mom. A worker says
to me, take as many frames as you can carry for free! Imagine that! She
starts handing me frames, one had a crewl kitchen piece inside. The worker
says, just throw away the design, you have a nice frame there. I would
NEVER throw away such a nice piece. It may be a little old fashioned
because of the colors scheme, but throw out, NEVER!

I am going to take it apart and clean the piece, it is dirty from the tent
dust. And reframe it and hang it respectfully. Sadly, some people have no
appreciation for needlework.

Old July 24th 03, 01:22 AM
emerald

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
I'm with Cheryl. I may skip over to HG-TV and write them:
Needleworkers don't appreciate your cutting up time consuming and highly
skilled work for a "trend" by designers who should know better.
grin
Dianne

While you're writing, how about mentioning the nicely-bound books they cut
in half, to make a fake bookcase, on one of the episodes I saw. Grrrrr!

emerald